Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-21-2021, 03:15 AM

Default Input Channels Stuck in Pre-Fader Metering

I just upgraded to PT 2020.11.0 and my input channels are now stuck in pre-fader mode. The meter reads the same whether Pre-Fader Metering is checked or not, with the slider all the way down. Post-fader should show nothing at that setting. The signal drops out with the slider down, as it should, but the meter still reads as if in pre-fader mode.

Is this a bug, and is there a remedy?

Thanks.
2TB Internal SSD
Apple Studio Monitor, 27"
3 External Monitors: 27", 27" & 65"
Apollo X8P Mixer Interface
PreSonus 32R Mixer Interface
Old 01-21-2021, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Input Channels Stuck in Pre-Fader Metering

Never heard of this, can anyone reproduce? Lucky you are stuck on pre-fader as that is the more useful mode of the two.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:51 PM

Personally, I stay in pre-fade metering for 99.5% of my work. The only reason I ever use post-fade is to quickly balance a bunch of similar tracks(like a dozen violin tracks and a bunch of BG vocals). And, as soon as those tracks are balanced, I switch right back to pre-fade(post-fade is simply not a good way to record or mix). Having said that, the meter still should work as you describe(and it does work that way on my rig running the most recent release), so I would look at a few things:
1-IO settings>Output tab, check the Monitor Path, Audition Path and AFL/PFL Path(they should match your main outputs)
2-Options menu>make sure Pre-Fade Metering is UNchecked

And there is always trashing prefs(worth a try for any "odd" behavior).

If you're wondering why I stick with Pre-fade metering(a fair question), its because I want to know what's going on with the levels within any given track(with post metering, turning the track fader down can mask clipping). Plus, its very possible for 2 tracks to show the same meter level, but not be balanced at all due to frequency content or plugin processing(so try to use your ears more and your eyes less)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-21-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayce View Post
I just upgraded to PT 2020.11.0 and my input channels are now stuck in pre-fader mode. The meter reads the same whether Pre-Fader Metering is checked or not, with the slider all the way down. Post-fader should show nothing at that setting. The signal drops out with the slider down, as it should, but the meter still reads as if in pre-fader mode.

Is this a bug, and is there a remedy?

Thanks.
There are no other people complaining about this on DUC so it will very likely be something you are doing wrong or a local messed up system.

What type of track is it?

Not sure I can think how it could be this but have record/playback faders uncoupled?

As always start by trashing prefs.

This happen on multiple sessions?