Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMartin View Post
Well we have the control 24 in our studio1 with the HD3 system and we built a custom studiodesk fitting it nicely with preamps, I/O etc on the sides. It would be difficult to have the control24 useless sitting in that desk.

Hoping someone dares to try it out.
This points out one of the unique problems with the decision to abandon the Control 24 with the release of PT11. The Control 24 is a large (beautiful in my opinion!) piece of equipment. Accommodations had to be made to install these and in many cases they are "built-in" to the facility they were installed in (like the quoted example).

Such is the case in my studio. The fact that Avid has decided not to support the Control 24 with Pro Tools 11 forward has me really questioning for the first time since starting with PT (2000), my dedication to the Pro Tools platform and Avid in particular. If this decision stands, I predict it will have a very negative echo going forward for Avid (1-week delay time, infinite repeats ).

Again, the Control 24 is not a piece of software, it is a 12 cubit-foot, 75-pound piece of metal, plastic, rubber and wood. Avid's decision here has effectively rendered these units garbage.

In my perfect world, a company would be incentivized through legislation not to create garbage without due diligence. I don't feel any effort was made to make the Control 24 work with PT11. The "testing-matrix" size argument is a poor one for a company that wants to keep long-term customers. There are probably thousands of Control 24 owners that would assist in the testing of the Control 24 with Pro Tools 11 right now.

Avid, please give it another thought and reconsider your decision to EOL the Control 24. This is a turning-point moment in your company's history with Pro Tools. You have the ability to make this right. Make it right, and you'll see the benefits in the form of retaining long-term, higher-dollar customers, -or- take the easy way out, and reap what you sow - it is your choice, right now.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM

if AVID really wanted to support the Control 24 I guess it would be a pretty easy task , I mean the ethernet protocol used with the newer C24 must be extremely similar. However I already sold my Control 24 for $1000 USD...last week. Will I replace it with another controller, no.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM

PLEASE don't forget about the ProControl users out there!! I know this thread has Control24 in the title, but there are 1000's of ProControl users who have custom made desks that will not continue to upgrade unless their business model allows them to buy PT11, HDX AND new controllers! That is a huge financial leap, especially if you have multiple rooms....
Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Absolutely Michael,
This is an anti generation 1 controller tactic, except for Hui.
So why does Hui work but not Pro control or Control 24?

We were the ones that paid very large amounts to Digi, in most cases it would have been the major investment in the system. So for Avid to wipe our investment to 0 because they don't want to support a very large group of customers who help them grow the market and set the standard is a very poor business decision. They have shown their hand they don't care for us, it is not that the controller is obsolete, it is just old, maybe vintage would be a better word

So please Avid keep our vintage desks working, you still have time to say sorry and put a plan in place to retain some of your most loyal customers, who have invested £10s of thousands each in your products.
You want us all to walk away?
Seems that you have already turned your back on us?
You made a decision to dismiss us, but you can un-make that??

Avid you know the actual numbers of controller sold and how many are still in serviceable use and so the possible revenue available to you if they all upgraded to a HDX system?
That is where I am, with a HD2 system ready for the upgrade to HDX but only if my Control 24 will still work with PT11!!

Must be a very large number, interested Avid?

Cheers
Scotsman
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
PLEASE don't forget about the ProControl users out there!! I know this thread has Control24 in the title, but there are 1000's of ProControl users who have custom made desks that will not continue to upgrade unless their business model allows them to buy PT11, HDX AND new controllers! That is a huge financial leap, especially if you have multiple rooms....
I Agree. I bet they work fine. They just want us to buy Icons. Well I only really use the faders and Mutes and I already spent a HUGE amount on my procontrol and fader packs. I am not going to spend that kind of money again for the same thing. Please release a personality for 11 please. Or you better have a KILLER trade in deal. Im not talking 1 G off either.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Remember that when a product and license is sold in a different country the license has been modified to be in compliance with the laws of that country.

And given the global nature of IP theft, there are all kinds of international task forces and independent investigators working on the problem...
Sometimes what is ilegal in one country it is completly legal in other.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMartin View Post
Well we have the control 24 in our studio1 with the HD3 system and we built a custom studiodesk fitting it nicely with preamps, I/O etc on the sides. It would be difficult to have the control24 useless sitting in that desk.

Hoping someone dares to try it out.
EXACT same scenario here. As it currently stands, we simply cannot justify the downtime and reconstruction effort that would be required to upgrade to 11 in our control room.

Last edited by wonder6oy; 07-01-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
So why does Hui work but not Pro control or Control 24?
Because HUI is an open standard and have not changed since day one? And because Digidesign controllers use proprietary protocol that Avid has chosen to not support any longer? These things happen.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Because HUI is an open standard and have not changed since day one? And because Digidesign controllers use proprietary protocol that Avid has chosen to not support any longer? These things happen.
My apologies for playing devil's advocate here but what has changed about the Control 24 and Pro Control drivers? Assuming that they did have to re-write the program from the ground up, they did have to choose to write a driver for HUI. Which means they could have also written one for the Avid controllers?

But…

We need to keep in mind that putting HUI drivers in place is NOT the same thing as supporting older hardware. Avid would have to make sure it worked perfectly. Which takes up resources.

Which is probably the same reason why they don't support every Apple OS version. Making it work on every system is difficult if not impossible when you have real technical support.

Although, I'd bet that many people would be happier if it "worked" with the older controllers but wasn't "officially" supported.

I ran into this issue years ago when Digidesign was recommending using separate audio drives for each 16 (or 24) tracks that you recorded at the same time. I was buying a new system and asked my dealer if I needed 3 or 4 Firewire drives connected and he explained that the numbers are based on what they promise they can deliver. Not what will probably happen.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM

Now that the weekend is over, what's up Avid? Any response to all of your customers? Or do we get silence?
Big Ben
Control 24