Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2004, 04:00 AM

Default Which Tube DI?

Do you have any preferences from the tube DI's below and why? I'm looking for something "characterful" and "warm", for recording bass and synths at home.

Manley Tube Direct
Summit TD-100
Avalon U5
Aguilar DB900
Groove Tubes Ditto OR Brick
AMI TAB V71DI funkenwerk

Thanks, Mig.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Which Tube DI?

I would also check the TLA series.

I personally have the Fatman and you get a a lot of Character for the decent price tag.

(PS In the US it´s distributed under the HBB brand but is the same machine under the panel.)

regs
Old 02-27-2004, 06:42 AM

Demeter..
Scsi(64)-18 giga cheetah
Ide 80 giga (7200)
Old 02-27-2004, 06:47 AM

A Ditto might be hard to find, the U5 is not tube and the Aguilar is a little different from the others.
While I own the U5, the Manley and the GT, I also have lots of other devices for DI that work excellent but also give mic pre capabilities which make them more versitle.
When you look at the $600 DI you can actually come out better by spending the extra money to get the more versitle box.
What are your current DI and Mic pre options you have available? This is a big factor as well as how much you want to spend.
Think about it this way for the cost of a U5, etc you can get an API module and build a power supply.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the replies, I used a borrowed Fatman on a variety of sources for a few days on a project I was doing a couple of years ago, but the client didn't really go for it - I thought it was ok. I've recorded in studios that had the Demeter and the Manley and thought they were quite similar, both great, though the material was very different so it was tricky to compare the 2.

A2D-D2A - how would you compare the U5/Manley/GT? I'm kind of leaning towards a Manley, unless the GT or Summit are very close. As far as my DI/pre options go, I record using the 001 line-ins and pre's. I'm very happy with my tone (mxr Dynacomp >>> Gallien-Kreuger >>> Palmer PDI-03 and I also take a feed to a bass pod pro), but I would like a little 'warmth' (but I don't like tube bass amps). I take your point about spending the same to get a pre as well. What would you recommend?
Thanks, regards, mig
Old 02-28-2004, 01:28 AM

The U5 sounds nice and is very functional with it tone shapes, the Manley Tube Direct is similar to the U5 with it EQ settings but sounds a little thicker to me.
The Ditto sounds nice and full but can be hard to find, the little time I spent with a Brick made me wonder what the differences between the 2 actually are.
The Brick didn't sound as full.
A friend who uses the Summit likes because of the way you can kinda overdrive the front end.
The U5, Manley, GT or Summit should give you a fuller sound but if you need a nice mic channel you are right back to square one.
This could be a good soluttion for you

B/A

A nice big sound for your drums, synths, bass, vox etc.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:54 AM

Ditto is not hard to find.

http://www.macmidimusic.com/prod.itml/icOid/1232

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=10171

Mig 15, I was in the same boat as you a week a go. I had about only $400 US to spend. So I narrowed it down to ADL 300G, Ditto, Aguilar DB900 & Retrospec JuiceBox.

Anthony from ADL was willing to cut me a killer deal on his stereo 300G unit, but I always wanted a JuiceBox or Evil Twin, but Evil is out of my budget. JuiceBox is no longer made, but I got lucky and found one on used market, it's being shipped to me on Monday. I've located another JuiceBox, so if you want to grab it let me know I'll pass on your email to the guy who's selling it.

I also spoke to Fletcher (www.mercenary.com) about the JuiceBox, now he owns pro audio store, but I asked his opinion based on his engineering skills (not as salesmen), which one would have a fatt sound and tight low end, he said that JuiceBox is the one - it's was his favorite D.I. out of all off them including Evil Twin. Since we don't have anything in Toronto in local stores, -everything on the pre-order basis, I can't test any of the mentioned D.I.s - so I have to go with my gut here. I'll let you know as soon as I get it how it sounds. I'll be using it mostly to record Elrick NJS Bass guitar, but also would like to run keyboards thru it, that's why my next in line purchase is probably ADL 300G, well after RNC. Fro more info on the Juicebox go here:

http://www.slidingdelta.com/retrospec/juice.html

Cheers.

P.S. I also found a used DB900 for $360 if you want it, let me know I'll pass on his email address.

Old 02-28-2004, 02:03 PM

Ditto's have been purged for the last couple of months for around $200 new, I guess they figure if you want one bad enough pay the price.
If you are near a Guitar Center or Sam Ash stop buy to see if they have one and what price they will let it go for.
Just keep in mind that if you are looking for a DI for your synths go for something versatile some synth with built in effects have strange personalities.
The JuiceBox looks interesting, have you had a chance to try one out?
Old 02-29-2004, 04:13 PM

A2A-D2A and Rubo, sorry not to get back sooner, it got hectic, I really appreciate the time you guys have taken!

A2A, thanks for your Manley vs U5 impressions and for the Summit info, all valuable stuff - it's down to the Manley or Summit out of the initial list. At the moment my primary need is for a bass DI - at a later date I'll start thinking about a dedicated pre, interestingly the Brent Averill was mentioned a couple of weeks ago by a seriously audiophile engineer mate of mine.....

Rubo, I played a show in Atlanta a couple of years ago where the bassist in the support band had a Juicebox and you're right, the tone was great. If I can't get hold of a Manley or Summit (I have to import to the UK - the prices here are outrageous) I'll definitely get in touch if that's OK? Appreciate it. In the meantime, please let us/me know how how it sounds!

Many regards, Mig
Old 02-29-2004, 09:42 PM

Aguilar DB900 is nice.

We've been tracking alot of Bass and even some Electric violin, Amplified Synth with it.