Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Default Can Pro Tools Do Automtion Curves?

I'm having some trouble doing automation. For instance, I have an instrument playing from Kontakt and I want to automate the pitch wheel. However, I can't seem to get Pro Tools to draw curves (or even straight lines) between points. It just draws a bunch of little individual automaton points. I'm assuming there must be a way to draw in smooth automation curves?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Can Pro Tools Do Automtion Curves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo123 View Post
I'm having some trouble doing automation. For instance, I have an instrument playing from Kontakt and I want to automate the pitch wheel. However, I can't seem to get Pro Tools to draw curves (or even straight lines) between points. It just draws a bunch of little individual automaton points. I'm assuming there must be a way to draw in smooth automation curves?
Right-click on pencil tool and choose the mode you want. Set your grid. Your grid will define how your curve will be...
And I'm sure you can find a you tube tutorial...
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViTheVault View Post
Right-click on pencil tool and choose the mode you want. Set your grid. Your grid will define how your curve will be...
And I'm sure you can find a you tube tutorial...
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. So, when I select the straight line on the pencil tool to automate the pitch of a virtual instrument, it still creates a stepped sequence instead of a perfectly straight line. Also, the parabolic drawing tool does not seem to make any shape at all.

Also, what exactly do you mean by setting the grid? Do you mean the note interval? I've got mine at 1/4 notes.

Last edited by Glo123; 09-13-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So, when I select the string line on the pencil tool to automate the pitch of a virtual instrument, it still creates a stepped sequence instead of a perfectly straight line. Also, the parabolic drawing tool does not seem to make any shape at all.

Yep. That's the way it works.

It's one of the things on the MIDI side that REALLY needs to be fixed in Pro Tools. I never see much concern about it round here though. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

It's one of the things on the MIDI side that REALLY needs to be fixed in Pro Tools. I never see much concern about it round here though. Weird.

I concern - but I gave up to post again and again and again and again ...
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Yes, one of those unbelievable things about Pro Tools.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Wow, I'm quite shocked that something considered an industry standard can't do this :/

I'm new to Pro Tools (as you can tell, haha), but I have never faced such a basic issue in any other DAW (Cubase, Live, etc.). Heck, I think I've even seen peoples' Fruity Loops sessions on YouTube that had such automation, haha. So weird that PT has not implemented this!

But anyways, is there a way to get the automation points to be "finer" in steps for when I try to automate things like a pitch wheel? As in, to reduce the spacing in in-between the automation points?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:24 PM

I don't know if this works but have anyone tried turning grid off?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Wow, I'm quite shocked that something considered an industry standard can't do this :/
Well it's MIDI so you'll end up with steps anyway... You might not hear them but that doesn't mean they're not there.

What's important is what you actually hear. When I draw a (MIDI) line in Logic, I don't see steps, and I don't hear steps. When I draw a line in Pro Tools, I do see (sometimes tiny) steps, but I don't hear steps. Same result. Doesn't make any difference to me to be honest - in fact sometimes it's may even be a cool reminder that you're looking at MIDI information, not audio...
Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Well it's MIDI so you'll end up with steps anyway... You might not hear them but that doesn't mean they're not there.

What's important is what you actually hear. When I draw a (MIDI) line in Logic, I don't see steps, and I don't hear steps. When I draw a line in Pro Tools, I do see (sometimes tiny) steps, but I don't hear steps. Same result. Doesn't make any difference to me to be honest - in fact sometimes it's may even be a cool reminder that you're looking at MIDI information, not audio...
Exactly. Cubase works the same way.

What I could really use is breakpoint based MIDI automation.