Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM

Default MIDI USB controller

I am running PT MP9.0.5 on a Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit system with an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R interface. Normally, it works seamlessly. At the urging of a friend and after doing some research and being assured it would work with any Pro Tools system, I purchased a Korg NanoKontrol MIDI controller--hey, for 10 bucks, why not? This is a new experience for me. My MIDI keyboards are older and plug into the MIDI port in the Fast Track. However, this is a USB MIDI device. As instructed, I downloaded the latest driver as well as the "editor" software from Korg for this device, but nothing happened, and the instructions ended there. I went to YouTube and installed it according to 2 different videos there. It still didn't work, though this time I did get a window that told me Pro Tools could not communicate with the MIDI device. I googled the device plus Pro Tools and re-installed it according to instructions I found there (albeit for Pro Tools 8). Same window appeared. Can anybody tell me how to get Pro Tools to communicate with a USB installed MIDI device?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Re: MIDI USB controller

Hi

If you goto -> setup -> Midi -> input devices and make sure your midi usb controller is selected and checked there.

See if that helps

Best
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Thanks, Chris, for your suggestion, but following instructions in a YouTube video, I already had that checked. Unfortunately, this thing is still not working. I've spent hours searching YouTube, but I've found only 1 instructional video for NanoKontrol on Pro Tools, and it's in French, which I don't speak. And the camera work on it is so bad I can't even figure it out by pictures. All other YouTube videos are for NanoKontrol 2, and they all seem to have you press a button or go to a screen that the original NanoKontrol doesn't have. Sorry to say that the NanoKontrol is also too lightweight to be used as a boat anchor. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Hi

Can you list exacly what you have done so far and how you set it up in protools please

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Yes, I can. First, I downloaded the latest driver for the device as well as the latest version of Korg's editor for this unit, both of which claim to be compatible for Win 7 and even 8. I hooked up the device to a USB port on my computer and it did power up. Per Korg's instructions, I pulled up the MIDI driver configuration screen, made sure the device was showing up, and checked both 32 and 64 bit like they said to do. Then in Pro Tools, I clicked Setup>MIDI>Input devices and checked "nanoKONTROL 1 SLIDER/KNOB." I clicked OK and clicked Setup>Peripherals>MIDI Controllers and changed #1 from "none" to HUI. I switched 'Receive From' to 'nanoKontrol 1 SLIDER/KNOB' and 'Send to' to nanoKontrol 1 CTRL [Emulated]'. (# Channels switched automatically to 8). I clicked OK and left there and tried the device. The track name windows at the bottom of the first 8 tracks in the Mix window of my session were outlined in blue, indicating the device is active on these tracks, but when I move a knob or slider on the controller I get a window that says: "Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. (Which I have done repeatedly) Note: if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings." This is the standard way this device should work, according to the instructions. I've tried some alternative things as well, even downloading a scene into the NanoKontrol Editor that's supposed to trick Pro Tools Peripherals into believing it's an M-Audio keyboard. The results of these alternative attempts have been the same at best. I should probably mention that when I run MIDI through my interface, I've never had a problem, but this is my first foray into a USB MIDI device. I've never needed to mess with MIDI channel changing either in Pro Tools or with any of my synths. They just worked. So frankly, I don't know how to do that. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Here's a simple question, the answer to which might solve everything about this thread: Since the Pro Tools MP series only uses an M-Audio interface, might it also only function with M-Audio USB MIDI devices?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglunt2112 View Post
Here's a simple question, the answer to which might solve everything about this thread: Since the Pro Tools MP series only uses an M-Audio interface, might it also only function with M-Audio USB MIDI devices?
Hi and Thanks for the info

No, all PT versions works with midi controllers as it is Computer based hardware.

Have you followed these steps as outlined here

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...-in-pro-tools/

Try and post back

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM

Hi Chris. I actually had read this info, but it stalled on 2 counts: First, the NanoKontrol 1 does not have a "set marker" button to hold down along with play while you plug in the USB cable. Only NK2 has that. Thinking that there might be some other button sequence for the NK1, I reviewed their instructions, but it doesn't say anything about holding down any buttons while plugging it in. The second point is that it says in Sweetwater's instructions at the bottom: "The HUI protocol is not available for version 1." I'm still hoping that a solution will present itself, though. Thanks!
Jim
Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglunt2112 View Post
Hi Chris. I actually had read this info, but it stalled on 2 counts: First, the NanoKontrol 1 does not have a "set marker" button to hold down along with play while you plug in the USB cable. Only NK2 has that. Thinking that there might be some other button sequence for the NK1, I reviewed their instructions, but it doesn't say anything about holding down any buttons while plugging it in. The second point is that it says in Sweetwater's instructions at the bottom: "The HUI protocol is not available for version 1." I'm still hoping that a solution will present itself, though. Thanks!
Jim
Just a thought, have you tried to connect the midi controller just via USB and see what PT says. Just using it as a keyboard for now and see if that works at all.

Best
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-20-2014, 11:51 AM

That's a good thought, Chris, because, among all the stuff I've tried so far, that's one I haven't. But I tried it just now and absolutely nothing happens. Even the track name boxes in PT aren't outlined in a color like they are if I go in and try to activate it as a peripheral. Thanks.