Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Default Digidesign - Create a Compatibility Stress Program

I think it is time for Digidesign to WAKE UP and resolve this compatibility problem. I try to search this forum for a specific problem I am having and I am deluged with TONS of posts that run in circles on the same issues --- Is it a resource issue, software bug, configuration issue or a hardware compatibility problem? Having worked as a computer engineer for fifteen years in Silicon Valley, I know that these issues will not go away; but they can be dealt with.

Solution:
1) Digidesign needs to create a program that launches on the computer and performs a complete analysis of the hardware. Known compatibility problems are flagged. User gets a message:
-)Your computer hardware should run pro tools without any problems.
-)Your computer will not run pro tools without problems: reasons
-)It is unknown if your computer will run pro tools without problems: reasons
Wow! I, the consumer, can now make a decision about using this computer for running pro tools before I spend my money.

2)Another program runs a diagnostic for bios/configuration settings and makes recommendations for configurations, modifications, upgrades, program removals needed to make Pro Tools HAPPY.
Wow again! I now know what I have to do to make this thing work. This might even make life easier for support staff if I have a problem later on.

3)A debug / stress test program needs to be developed that can be user defined specifying the loads for recording, plug-ins etc. In effect, simulate a pro tools session in action. A complete log can be created and analyzed pinpointing the problem when it occurred, and what was happening on the system and in pro tools. This is how we recreate problems that can be diagnosed and fixed in the computer world.
Wow again! I have some information that just might be useful in solving my problem.

With these tools, I might even want a job working for Digidesign in support. (Not really...)

Now there is no excuse for Digidesign not developing these programs. Here is why:
1)They will be able to run these in house and identify the new models as they come out for issues.
2)They will be able to save money on support in the long run.
3)They will be able to clean up this forum so I can find answers to my problems.
4)Digidesign just might be able to create a pretty impressive reputation for quality control.

Digidesign might respond: These programs are not possible to develop.
Then they are saying that they have no clue how their hardware/software interacts with the computer. I don't buy it. Do you? I would rather spend more time playing/recording music than wasting hours trying to decide whether I cuss out Microsoft, the computer manufacturer, or Digidesign.

Greg
Old 09-26-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Digidesign - Create a Compatibility Stress Pro

So.... why don't you build one? Alot of other companies build plugins and programs that work with or in Pro Tools... Get cracking, I'll buy! I need to know what's wrong with it on one of my computers. There, now the computer engineer has a project that would probably sell (though cheaply).
Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Digidesign - Create a Compatibility Stress Program

Seriously, just get a Mac and it'll work just fine at least I'm done with the PC hassle, not ever going back.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Seriously, just get a Mac and it'll work just fine at least I'm done with the PC hassle, not ever going back.

Around Christmas/the New Year. I will be getting a mac and using my PC for home/personal work use.

Any Recomendations?? I was thinking the MAC Power Book Pro. 17" screen, upgrade to 2 gigs of ram. I can get a student discount so why not right?

KYLE
Old 09-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Any Recomendations?
Get a Mac Pro desktop. You'll love the extra horsepower available to ProTools LE, plus you have the option to upgrade to HD later if you need to. Having used ProTools with laptops and desktops, I can say that the extra performance is really worth the extra cost. I'm currently using a Quad PowerMac (the latest PPC machine) and all is well

Also, don't save too much on memory. While 1GB is enough, the more the merrier. My workstation has 4GB and I cannot be happier I bought some more than I thought I'd need. Mac OSX can really use all the memory you throw at it, and unlike Windows, you will get better performance by adding more memory.

Another thing that you probably already knew; be sure to get two separate physical hard drives for a ProTools workstation. Recording to system drive is not supported and not recommened, so a dedicated audio hard drive is the way to go. If you like portability, you can also use Firewire hard drive, but whatever the connection you choose, you will need two hard drives -- one for the system and another for the session.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:

1) Digidesign needs to create a program that launches on the computer and performs a complete analysis of the hardware. Known compatibility problems are flagged. User gets a message:
-)Your computer hardware should run pro tools without any problems.
-)Your computer will not run pro tools without problems: reasons
-)It is unknown if your computer will run pro tools without problems: reasons
Wow! I, the consumer, can now make a decision about using this computer for running pro tools before I spend my money.

2)Another program runs a diagnostic for bios/configuration settings and makes recommendations for configurations, modifications, upgrades, program removals needed to make Pro Tools HAPPY.
Wow again! I now know what I have to do to make this thing work. This might even make life easier for support staff if I have a problem later on.

3)A debug / stress test program needs to be developed that can be user defined specifying the loads for recording, plug-ins etc. In effect, simulate a pro tools session in action. A complete log can be created and analyzed pinpointing the problem when it occurred, and what was happening on the system and in pro tools. This is how we recreate problems that can be diagnosed and fixed in the computer world.
Wow again! I have some information that just might be useful in solving my problem.

Okay, I have know idea how realistic or even possible this is, but by jove it's a wonderful idea.

I work in a music shop and sell PT systems every day - it's a really painful part of the process to sort out the customer's potential compatibility, it really slows up the otherwise easy task of selling Pro Tools.

I even had to swap an MBox II for a Steinberg System 4 last week because the poor kid who bought it (purely on my recommendation) had a nightmare installing it. We worked out (with his brother at his computer screen at home) that he had a SiS chipset on his motherboard. No arguements, I just swapped them over.

So now he has a Cubase system with an almost identicle interface (but with inserts) and software (but with unlimited audio and MIDI tracks, unlimited undo, etc for £50 cheaper.

But that's another story.

In the meantime, I realise that a program like the one outlined above would probably take a lot of time and developement, but I would argue that it would benefit Digidesign in the long run. It would be great to see if it is at all possible.

Peace

Sonny
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM

Put me on the buyers list. The person who makes this program will make money.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:52 AM

dont kid yourself I been there Mac you must be joking

brandy
Old 09-28-2006, 08:20 AM

My Mac G5 worked perfectly fine after taking it out of the box and setting up Pro Tools LE. So, who's kidding? Maybe not all Macs work as well, but some do. Just the new ones cause problems more often because it's new technologies to figure out
Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
dont kid yourself I been there Mac you must be joking

brandy
Yep. I've had macs crash as well as PCs. Macs are NOT a cure all.

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
¯