Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Using multiple versions of ProTools??

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And you don't need the Pro version of any ssd as the only difference between the Pro and Evo is the warranty.
On the Samsung, they use different chip architecture.
But that's a high-level conversation that definitely has no place in this particular thread.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
On the Samsung, they use different chip architecture.
But that's a high-level conversation that definitely has no place in this particular thread.
I was biting my tongue There is a a reason the Pro has a higher warranty period and very slightly better performance... but for the use here it does not matter, get the Evo.

--

On QVO: I just don't know enough/have not seen enough 860 QVO to recommend them.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-08-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM

OK Great. Now we have more info.

Lars, I admit to being a bit confused I had misunderstood you already had an external SSD you had tried cloning to, but now things are clearer. Your dedicated Glyph hard drives are why you are running at all with Pro Tools 10. Good you did that, but we now know you have a 5,400 rpm internal drive.

I am assuming you want to go ahead and try setting up this MacBook Pro for dual booting. Everybody here wants you to get rid of that 4800rpm drive and replace it with an SSD. Opening up your MBP to do that is not hard, but is a little fiddly. I've done it multiple times; and I actually quite liked those unibody MBP you have. These are the steps ... https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/10761 and you can see if you want to do that or not. You should also be able to set up the SSD then take that to a Mac repair shop (not an Apple Store) and have them do the physical install for you.

I believe you already have 16 GB memory installed, so you have 1. already seen inside the MBP and 2. have enough memory now to install Mojave and 2018.

The next step is to get a suitable SATA III SSD, the one I would get is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-.../dp/B0786QNSBD

That's a 2TB SSD, which is guaranteed to be enough space to divide into two partitions and let you dual boot. You might be able to get away with a 1TB drive, but I've asked multiple times how much space you are using in the current internal HDD and you'v not said, so uh just go with the 2TB to be sure.

You need a USB 3 to SATA dock so you can set up that SSD outside of your MacBook Pro, test *everything* there, then install that SSD inside the MacBook Pro.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B00H11QT3S
Get that *exact* dock (you want the USB 3 support).

Hopefully you have enough space in your current internal HDD to download all the installers you need. While you are waiting for hardware to arrive: download the (~6GB) Mojave installer from the Apple app store, the iLok ILM installer from iLok.com, the latest Pro Tools 2018 (or 2019 if it comes out in the next few days), any add-on Pro Tools installers you need (check your Avid account) the latest driver installer package for your interface, latest installers for any third party plugins you use (remember they now have to all be AAX-64 not RTAS or AAX-32 plugins).

You also have a more complex option to replace the optical disc drive in you MBP with an SSD to use as a dedicated audio drive, I think that is pushing stuff way to far at the moment, and you already have audio-spec external HDD to use. (but if say you wanted to pay somebody to do the main internal HD/SSD replacement... then maybe get them to do both). I'm going to assume you are going to leave the optical drive in place for now, but speak up if not.

Once you have the SSD and dock and all the installers downloaded, ping us back here at this thread and I'll help you do a 1. Check/update the SSD firmware and 2. Do a clean Mojave install onto that new SSD. You really should do a totally clean install *not* an upgrade like you did before.

And it's not clear if you have a current Pro Tools 2018 license or not or if you have an iLok 2 or later to use with it. Now would be a time to get that sorted out. If you were trying the Pro Tools Ultimate evaluation before that many have expired, you can always purchase a one month subscription for Pro Tools 2018... once ready to fire up Pro Tools 2018.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
We all want to help you but there comes a time when we put in a lot of effort to do so and we get paid back like this? If you want to see who the real male reproductive anatomical member is take a look in the mirror.

But in the spirit of helping stay away from the QVO models as it's been reported on the web they have compatibility issues with OSX. And you don't need the Pro version of any ssd as the only difference between the Pro and Evo is the warranty.
I appreciate good spirit.. But, geez, some of you act like you were born walking..

Last edited by larsongs; 05-08-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM

To my fellow DUCers, please let me remind you of the terms of use for this forum. Specifically:

You will not insult others.

While it doesn’t appear that the OP takes much time to consume and digest the information that gets provided to him, I still believe him to be sincere. So please lay off the disparaging comments.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Lars - BTW to find out how much space is being taken on your current boot drive you can look at it with Disk Utility (see Used/Free numbers) or click on the drive icon on the desktop and type Command-I (for info) and see the Available/Used numbers at the upper part of the pop-up Info window.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
To my fellow DUCers, please let me remind you of the terms of use for this forum. Specifically:

You will not insult others.

While it doesn’t appear that the OP takes much time to consume and digest the information that gets provided to him, I still believe him to be sincere. So please lay off the disparaging comments.
I admit I wasn't born walking... With regard to Computers... They're Like Cars I use them but I'm not an Engr. or Mechanic..

Much of the stuff you guys write is like reading Greek to me... Then you further seem to use Computer Slang that I can't even find definitions for...

I am sincerely trying to figure this stuff out.. I get your frustration with me.. People want me to give them Guitar lessons & I pretty much don't. Too frustrating...

Thank you,

Larsongs
Old 05-09-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
I admit I wasn't born walking... With regard to Computers... They're Like Cars I use them but I'm not an Engr. or Mechanic..

Much of the stuff you guys write is like reading Greek to me... Then you further seem to use Computer Slang that I can't even find definitions for...

I am sincerely trying to figure this stuff out.. I get your frustration with me.. People want me to give them Guitar lessons & I pretty much don't. Too frustrating...

Thank you,

Larsongs
That's the thing - you are going to have to become conversant with the terms used. It's not that difficult - you just have to have patience and use a bit of logic. There are ways to use Google to find out what the terms mean - you just have to know how to ask the question. And no one can give you an answer on how to do that except to try different ways of asking the question.

QAPLA!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
OK Great. Now we have more info.

Lars, I admit to being a bit confused I had misunderstood you already had an external SSD you had tried cloning to, but now things are clearer. Your dedicated Glyph hard drives are why you are running at all with Pro Tools 10. Good you did that, but we now know you have a 5,400 rpm internal drive.

I am assuming you want to go ahead and try setting up this MacBook Pro for dual booting. Everybody here wants you to get rid of that 4800rpm drive and replace it with an SSD. Opening up your MBP to do that is not hard, but is a little fiddly. I've done it multiple times; and I actually quite liked those unibody MBP you have. These are the steps ... https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/10761 and you can see if you want to do that or not. You should also be able to set up the SSD then take that to a Mac repair shop (not an Apple Store) and have them do the physical install for you.

I believe you already have 16 GB memory installed, so you have 1. already seen inside the MBP and 2. have enough memory now to install Mojave and 2018.

The next step is to get a suitable SATA III SSD, the one I would get is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-.../dp/B0786QNSBD

That's a 2TB SSD, which is guaranteed to be enough space to divide into two partitions and let you dual boot. You might be able to get away with a 1TB drive, but I've asked multiple times how much space you are using in the current internal HDD and you'v not said, so uh just go with the 2TB to be sure.

You need a USB 3 to SATA dock so you can set up that SSD outside of your MacBook Pro, test *everything* there, then install that SSD inside the MacBook Pro.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B00H11QT3S
Get that *exact* dock (you want the USB 3 support).

Hopefully you have enough space in your current internal HDD to download all the installers you need. While you are waiting for hardware to arrive: download the (~6GB) Mojave installer from the Apple app store, the iLok ILM installer from iLok.com, the latest Pro Tools 2018 (or 2019 if it comes out in the next few days), any add-on Pro Tools installers you need (check your Avid account) the latest driver installer package for your interface, latest installers for any third party plugins you use (remember they now have to all be AAX-64 not RTAS or AAX-32 plugins).

You also have a more complex option to replace the optical disc drive in you MBP with an SSD to use as a dedicated audio drive, I think that is pushing stuff way to far at the moment, and you already have audio-spec external HDD to use. (but if say you wanted to pay somebody to do the main internal HD/SSD replacement... then maybe get them to do both). I'm going to assume you are going to leave the optical drive in place for now, but speak up if not.

Once you have the SSD and dock and all the installers downloaded, ping us back here at this thread and I'll help you do a 1. Check/update the SSD firmware and 2. Do a clean Mojave install onto that new SSD. You really should do a totally clean install *not* an upgrade like you did before.

And it's not clear if you have a current Pro Tools 2018 license or not or if you have an iLok 2 or later to use with it. Now would be a time to get that sorted out. If you were trying the Pro Tools Ultimate evaluation before that many have expired, you can always purchase a one month subscription for Pro Tools 2018... once ready to fire up Pro Tools 2018.
I'm getting ready to order the 2T Samsung SSD & Dock..

Question, It seems these mid 2012 MBP's can be Modded pretty easily but is there anything major that can't? Like a Mother Board that once it goes the Computer is dead..

Thanks,
Old 05-23-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
I'm getting ready to order the 2T Samsung SSD & Dock..

Question, It seems these mid 2012 MBP's can be Modded pretty easily but is there anything major that can't? Like a Mother Board that once it goes the Computer is dead..

Thanks,
After market repair places can replace motherboards, if needed, likely from a donor machine. Or at that point just buy a used machine and move the other components over.

One of my favorite MacBook Pro was a 17" model. I loved that computer. Opened up and memory maxed out by me. It had the motherboard/GPU replaced under a recall program. Both CPU cooling fans replaced on separate occasions by me (don't use your computer in dirty wood working shops). The HDD replaced with a SDD by me. The screen replaced by me (just totally died one day). The SSD upgraded again by me.

Differentiate all this from my current MBP which I'd not want to open myself... and which now has a cursor key failing on the crappy butterfly keyboard and needs to get repaired.

At some point the increased power of new Macs will be so appealing or some new Pro Tools feature that needs some new macOS will be so appealing that you will migrate to a new Mac. And I expect that will happen before it becomes impossible to repair your current Mac Book Pro, just because they are so repairable. But I would hope you get several more years use out of it.