Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Default Avid Link replaces Application Manager

Not sure if there's already a thread on Avid Link for Mac ... but if there is, I couldn't find it :)

I've already had a play with the new Avid Link iOS app launched at NAMM (I wasn't on the beta) and have just installed the Mac version, primarily as I wanted to finally uninstall Application Manager - the FAQs advise that the Link installation will do this automatically for the latest AM version.

Question - anybody know if Link can be completely disabled and only run 'on demand' i.e. no agent running in the background or whatever?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Avid Link replaces Application Manager

... adding detail to my own enquiry, it appears that AvidAppManHelper continues to run in the background consuming approximately 200MB or memory.

Is it not possible to have Avid Link only 'call home' when we choose to run the application?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Great questions!

Anyone out there have answers?

Thanks in advance:)
16 GB Ram
Digi 003 Rack
Pro Tools 2018
Old 03-02-2019, 12:00 AM

Oh, an all new and better application manager is very welcome here... But is Avid Link better? Or the same slow and memory consuming app renamed?
BTW: Every time I update, I have to click thousands of times for each and every installer of single plug ins and the like. Isn't it possible to select the apps, plugs and drivers you want to update and click on an "install all selected" button? It could go with option+shift pressed...

Best

Mark
Old 03-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Question - anybody know if Link can be completely disabled and only run 'on demand' i.e. no agent running in the background or whatever?
I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't remember the exact procedure. I only boot to my Mac partition maybe monthly.

But yes, it is possible to disable auto startup and only run on demand. You have to find the launcher which is in a folder under the Library folder somewhere, and delete the launcher. Then you can manually run Avid Link any time you want, and shut it down when you're done.

Of course, any time you update or reinstall PT, the launcher gets put back in the Library, and you have to go find and delete it again.

I do the same thing on my Windows partition. I think it's easier on Windows, but that's probably just because I'm a Windows guy.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs

Last edited by QuikDraw; 03-02-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Left out Windows information.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
On a mac go to /Library/LaunchAgents and find the launch agent that launches Avid Link (com.avid.ApplicationManager.plist for the Application Mangaer). Modify this .plist and set "RunAtLoad" to "false" and it will not launch at start up. You can also move this .plist out of the LaunchAgents folder to another folder to disable it.