Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 02-17-2006, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Control 24 headphone cue mix help!!

HI

REALLY INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU'RE SAYING REGARDS H/PHONE MIX.

IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF SENDING ME A TEMPLATE?

REGARDS

CHRIS
Old 02-20-2006, 07:50 AM

District,

First, I'm assuming you are monitoring in the Control Room through PT1&2 on the Control Room Monitor Section of the C24.

You shouldn't have to do all the routing through busses to make that work. The main stereo cue mix can be assigned to an output interface on all the tracks (not any subgroup auxes) from Send A. They all need to be set PRE-FADER. If your C24 has Protools Outputs 3&4, and 5&6 wired up to the normal location on the monitor section, you can pick one of these pairs - so that you can listen to what your separate cue mix sounds like through your speakers. You don't need a master fader or an aux return at all. The Aux knob on the C24 (with Monitor to Aux OFF!) can be used as an overall master cue level control. The pre-fader level sends of Send A will be unaffected by level, solo, or mute switches that happen on the main mix. You then only nee to hit FLIP on the C24 (which defaults to Send A) to have the cue mix at your fingertips. Hit PT3&4 on the Control Room Montor Section, and you're now LISTENING to the cue mix as well.

For the other channels on your headphone system beyond its stereo input, go to each track and set up a send on Assignment B that is PRE-FADER and set to Unity Gain (0.0). The output of this individual track send should go to an output that's patched to the cue system. For example, your Bass track would have Send B set pre-fader and at 0.0, being sent to Output 4, which is then patched to a channel on the headphone system. If you want multiple tracks (like the Drums) to go to a single headphone system channel, then you'll need to adjust the multiple faders down some so as not to overload the headphone system channel.

ChrisL - I have to agree with Shawn, the Caps Lock is pretty annoying reading.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 AM

Hey

Official apology for the 'Caps Lock' thing..

Just a bad habit...

ChrisL
Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 PM

hi all

thanks for all your help thus far

but this problem still prevails. i have the sends on each channel (send A) for the headphone mix setup as PRE FADER. so it wont be affected by volume/mute changes in the control room. control room output is your default PT 1-2 output. im using 7-8 PT output for the headphones. (cause i think 3-4 is for Center and Surround and 5-6 is Ls - Rs) we have surround setup in one room. and the other 2 rooms dont have the surround setup. all rooms have the same issue with the AUX knob. now if i just have the outputs 7-8 going straight into the headphone amp, (and bypass the AUX in and AUX out of the control 24) all works fine. but if i have it run into AUX IN on the control 24, it doesnt work. unless i press the AUX to MONITOR button, then it works. but it sends a copy of the main output signal to the headphone amp. so if i mute or fade something, the artist hears it. i thought that if the button isnt pressed, the AUX knob would function as an overall gain knob feeding the 7-8 signal going to the headphone amp? i think it has to do something with that knob??? if have a master fader or not in pro tools, that would still be independent of the signal of the headphone mix. it would just be a master fader in pro tools that controls the signal leaving the pro tools interface. i know about the FLIP switch and controlling the sends that way on the control 24. that isnt the issue.

i just want this BIG MOUSE to work like it should...unless im completely stupid and im doing something work (which is probably the case) . i read the manual, and the way i interpret it, is that the AUX knob should control the signal going into it even when the MONITOR TO AUX button isnt pressed.

joe
Old 02-21-2006, 06:30 PM

Jammanis,

Its starting to sound like there's some other problem at issue here.

It sounds like your signal flow out of Protools is good (if you can patch 7/8 straight to the phones and hear the cue mix). Is it possible that where you're patching into the C24 Aux Inputs L/R is not connected correctly? The chances of all three C24s in your three rooms being broken is pretty small. But maybe something was wired wrong in the install. Try plugging directly into the back of the C24 at the Aux Input with the output of 7/8. They need to be balanced 1/4" connectors. You probably know all this stuff already, I'm just trying to cover the basics.

If you're not working on a surround project, you can still use 3/4 or 5/6 for the cues; you just need to switch the C24 to Stereo Mode at the Monitor Section. In addition to being able to hear you cue mix by selecting it as 3/4 or 5/6, you can also see metering of those outputs on the C24.