Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 AM

Default Connecting Thunderbolt Native HD to a firewire 800 port

I have a Mac Book Pro with thunderbolt, but thunderbolt is connected to my Samsung external screen and I'm wondering if I can connect the Native Thunderbolt unit (and an Omni) to the Firewire 800 port with an adapter? Anyone tried that? I won't push it hard. Never more than two in and two out.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Connecting Thunderbolt Native HD to a firewire 800 port

Not sure if something like that exists...but isn't one of the big advantages of thunderbolt is that you can daisy chain things? Maybe you can just daisy chain them? Never tried this, just an idea..
(3)192/SYNC IO/CS HEDD192/Studer A27/Neve 48 Ch. VR console
Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 AM

I connect the screen with a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter (My MBP haven't got HDMI like the newer ones). So the screen obviously haven't got a Thunderbolt thru. The Avid thing also have no thru and so far, it seems like there are no thunderbolt hubs of any kind available.

More suggestions?

I guess there are no FW 800 to HDMI?
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 AM

The only way to connect the Thunderbolt HD Native system is with a Thunderbolt port.

If you were to use the Apple Thunderbolt display, it has a Thunderbolt thru port that would allow you to use both the display and the HD Native Thunderbolt unit.

Alternatively, you could buy the PCIe card version of HD Native, and put it in this PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis, which has 2 Thunderbolt ports on it:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thund...ercury_Helios/
Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 AM

I was afraid that would be the answer.

Next option is to upgrade my MBP to a new model with 2 thunderbolt ports and HDMI. And then I'll probably get Maverick and and a bunch of bugs with PT11
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Or you could get a Displaylink USB-to-DVI adapter.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:50 PM

That sounds like a good idea. Will I get full screen performance via USB? Can I convert USB to HDMI?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtitam View Post
That sounds like a good idea. Will I get full screen performance via USB? Can I convert USB to HDMI?
Something like this would probably work for you. There are other similar products, but I like the fact that it is USB 3 with backwards compatibility with USB 2, which is probably what you have. That gives you a certain amount of "future-proof" confidence should you later get a a computer with USB 3. And since it includes audio and video to HDMI, you could hook it up to big big screen TV if you ever wanted to do something like that.

The caveat would be how it performs via USB 2 vs USB 3, with probably less max resolution. Check the reviews on that link, and it may be good enough for your needs. That's on the US Amazon store, so not sure what is available to you in Sweden.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM

Thank you Bruce.

It looks like I won't have to get a new computer quite yet then