Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Headphone mix and Control room mix

I was recording a singer the other day on my Digi 001 and ran into this problem. I'm sure it is something simple I have not thought of but anyway... The singer already had a good level of the recording and her vocals in the headphones. But, if I want to hear only her vocals in the control room while she is recording, how do I do this while she still hears the whole band and her vocals? When I clicked on the solo button on her vocal track, that is all she heard too. Please let me know what I need to do. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Headphone mix and Control room mix

You need to create a seperate headphone cue mix using one of the sends.

CONNECTIONS
** control room (CR) monitors connected to the 001 monitor outs
** headphone preamp connected to outputs 3+4 of your 001

SETUP
** create a send to Bus 1-2 on every audio channel (ALT+CLICK is your friend here) - also switch to the send view (small fader) it's a little more intuitive.
** set all those sends to PRE-fader (ALT+CLICK again is your friend)
** create a new AUX input, assign its input to BUS 1+2 and its output to I/O 3+4 -- this is your headphone master fader.
** ctrl+click on the solo button of that fader to put it in solo safe mode, ie. you don't want the master headphone send to be muted when you solo in the control room.

Now all you need to do is recreate your mix on the small faders, ie. set levels+pans. Unfortunately PTLE doesn't support the "Copy faders to sends" function which allows you to copy the channel fader levels + pans to a selected send. VERY ANNOYING OMISSION.

Another useful trick is I often stick a compressor or L1 over the headphone master (inserted on the headphone master aux track) you can then create quite a loud and punchy headphone mix for your guys to play to.

Now, the only gotcha with this setup is .. you can't use Low Latency Monitoring. Why? Because in LLM mode sends are disabled [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Marcus

PS. you can setup multiple headphone mixes using the same technique as above but using additional sends + output pairs.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marcusb:
SETUP
** create a send to Bus 1-2 on every audio channel (ALT+CLICK is your friend here) - also switch to the send view (small fader) it's a little more intuitive.
** set all those sends to PRE-fader (ALT+CLICK again is your friend)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can anyone explain how I can select "PRE-fader" for the sends. I have tried to ALT+CLICK everything, so I'm a little confused.
Also, what is the purpose of putting a track in solo safe mode? Is this available in rec./mute safe mode?

Stormy
Old 08-10-2003, 10:40 PM

Tripp and whomever,
I finally put my website for my studio up. There is a help section that I am developing for people. You will find a picture that I did for another guy up there that shows a basic headphone mix that is running out to a headphone preamp. There are other diagrams on the site too, and I plan on collaborating with others to get help stuff up there too. Check out the link below in my signature and it will take you there...
I will be updating the site as much as I can, and some links are still under construction, but the help page is up and slowly developing...

Later,
Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-11-2003, 06:04 AM

so in light of the fact that you can't use low latency monitoring mode when using outputs other than 1&2, you will have to set the buffer to 128 samples, which could limit your plug-in count. aside from buying a board of one type or another, there's no way around this.

**to set the send faders to pre-fade, click the pre button on the send fader.