Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-13-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Questions about upgrading new computer and pt.

Before I start into this I'll tell you I'm more of a musician then a tech dude, so things that may seem simple and apparent aren't always to me.

So I am currently running an old 12 core Mac Pro (Maxed out ram and SSD drives) with High Sierra and Protools 2018. I've been doing more pop and my system is struggling bad with the soft synths, NI, Serum, SD3 etc... I've been tooling with the idea of taking the plunge and getting a new Mac. So here are my questions and ideas:

1. I hear there are rumors of Mac coming out with a new Mac Pro in the summer, is it worth waiting or is a Mac mini 3.2 more that enough?

2. If I go with the 3.2 how much ram should I get to run large sessions? 32? 64?

3. I have an HDX and UAD Octo card. The new Mac mini apparently is Thunderbolt 3 and the Sonnet xMac server rack only currently works with TB2, but they told me on the phone that they should have a TB3 update or upgrade in 2 months. I am not totally sure about this and how is best to get my HDX and UAD card to work without bottle necking the computer. I see there are TB3 external chassis like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...underbolt.html

Will this work with a new Mac mini and my older HDX and UAD Cards?

4. My Avid PT2018 Ultimate update package expired 4 weeks ago and they have it on my account to reinstate for $399. Is that necessary? If I don't get it I can still install 2018 on my new computer?

5. Is protools running or supported with the Mojave OS?

6. And last, this basic setup I'm looking at is anyone on there running this system? Is it solid? Rippin fast?

James
Old 03-13-2019, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Questions about upgrading new computer and pt.

I would be extremely cautious about deluding myself that simply upgrading to a new Mac will make all my VI issues disappear. If you want to improve VI performance, start hosting them in Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM

First off be aware that after 1 month the reinstatement fee is $999 not $399 and as soon as that 1 month grace period has passed it is $999 to get back on the plan.

And regarding the new MacPro it is not gonna be here before Q4 and probably late Q4 so if you can wait until then ...

About the Mac Mini I seen many studios buying one as a bridge until the MacPro’s are released and tested and all of them have been very happy with their Mini. I would say 32GB ram is really enough. We have 2 12Core MacPro here and when I am out I run the same sessions off my new MacBook Pro with 16GB ram and 1 TB drive without any problems at all.

We produce popsongs for the A-Listers and use many many VI and most songs are around 120-140 tracks with maybe 30-40 VI and well over 150 plugins from UA and Slate aswell as Waves and Fabfilter etc etc

All computers are on Mojave 10.14.2 and up. We run PT2018 Ultimate and do lots of automations along with much efx plugins like Soundtoys and others.

So yea I would get the Mac Mini with 32GB ram and 1TB SSD and use that for now and look at the new MacPro when it has been tried and tested as it will run you from 5000 USD and Up which makes it pretty expensive to just get for a home setup and hobby level. We will get a few when they arrive but we make our living from writing and producing for artists all over the world and we can write off those expenses quickly.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-13-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I would be extremely cautious about deluding myself that simply upgrading to a new Mac will make all my VI issues disappear. If you want to improve VI performance, start hosting them in Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Isn't the CPU the main thing that runs them? I mean on my system I can barely run Serum. Honestly my computer is 7 years old and seems out dated to run things like Serum.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
First off be aware that after 1 month the reinstatement fee is $999 not $399 and as soon as that 1 month grace period has passed it is $999 to get back on the plan.

And regarding the new MacPro it is not gonna be here before Q4 and probably late Q4 so if you can wait until then ...

About the Mac Mini I seen many studios buying one as a bridge until the MacPro’s are released and tested and all of them have been very happy with their Mini. I would say 32GB ram is really enough. We have 2 12Core MacPro here and when I am out I run the same sessions off my new MacBook Pro with 16GB ram and 1 TB drive without any problems at all.

We produce popsongs for the A-Listers and use many many VI and most songs are around 120-140 tracks with maybe 30-40 VI and well over 150 plugins from UA and Slate aswell as Waves and Fabfilter etc etc

All computers are on Mojave 10.14.2 and up. We run PT2018 Ultimate and do lots of automations along with much efx plugins like Soundtoys and others.

So yea I would get the Mac Mini with 32GB ram and 1TB SSD and use that for now and look at the new MacPro when it has been tried and tested as it will run you from 5000 USD and Up which makes it pretty expensive to just get for a home setup and hobby level. We will get a few when they arrive but we make our living from writing and producing for artists all over the world and we can write off those expenses quickly.
Ok thanks so much. If I go with a Mac mini setup that's where I'll stay for a number of years.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
Before I start into this I'll tell you I'm more of a musician then a tech dude, so things that may seem simple and apparent aren't always to me.

So I am currently running an old 12 core Mac Pro (Maxed out ram and SSD drives) with High Sierra and Protools 2018. I've been doing more pop and my system is struggling bad with the soft synths, NI, Serum, SD3 etc... I've been tooling with the idea of taking the plunge and getting a new Mac. So here are my questions and ideas:

1. I hear there are rumors of Mac coming out with a new Mac Pro in the summer, is it worth waiting or is a Mac mini 3.2 more that enough?

2. If I go with the 3.2 how much ram should I get to run large sessions? 32? 64?

3. I have an HDX and UAD Octo card. The new Mac mini apparently is Thunderbolt 3 and the Sonnet xMac server rack only currently works with TB2, but they told me on the phone that they should have a TB3 update or upgrade in 2 months. I am not totally sure about this and how is best to get my HDX and UAD card to work without bottle necking the computer. I see there are TB3 external chassis like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...underbolt.html

Will this work with a new Mac mini and my older HDX and UAD Cards?

4. My Avid PT2018 Ultimate update package expired 4 weeks ago and they have it on my account to reinstate for $399. Is that necessary? If I don't get it I can still install 2018 on my new computer?

5. Is protools running or supported with the Mojave OS?

6. And last, this basic setup I'm looking at is anyone on there running this system? Is it solid? Rippin fast?

James
Just get vepro. Host VI inside that. 12 core mac.pro cheese graters are as functional as anything else right now. It's not the computer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Just get vepro. Host VI inside that. 12 core mac.pro cheese graters are as functional as anything else right now. It's not the computer.

Whoa what is vepro?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Thanks man, I just did the $399. That hurt but such is life.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Whoa what is vepro?
Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Just because a dev has AAX, VST, and AU versions doesn't mean each is equally efficient. Try hosting the VST of Serum in an external environment and see if you get better results.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Whoa what is vepro?
Also you need to upgrade the graphics card for the mac pro. Protools is very fickle with CPU errors and graphics.

Get a 580 pulse. I'm assuming it's a mac pro 5.1?

For various reasons CPU errors are tied to graphics card. You need a top line card.

Even the new mac's now have CPU errors.