Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Upgrade from Mix System - Need advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post
You would think that the latest most powerful mac could offer Superior performance on a native system but I'm not convinced. Maybe I'm wrong?
I think it probably would run them amazingly well but your talking over $10,000 for that particular Mac alone....I know cause I watched the price climb over that figure at the Mac store as I maxed out a 12 core unit......

I haven't physically tried to install NI's ARMD on the dual G5...Based on the comparision I made on Digidesign's VI (xpand) that I have on both computers already....The MB Pro handled xpand much better than the G5....That pretty much told me not to bother trying to run those VI's on the HD system if they would even install on the older system....I'd still rather use 2 systems and have access to building tracks with all the cpu hogging VI plugs than have a streamlined MB Pro using cpu lite plugs or triggering a midi module/keyboard.....It sounds more like a commercial album doing it this way.....Sorry but I don't think this is the solution your looking for....moon
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM

Just my experience, but I had a dual-core 2.0 ghz G5 PowerMac. It was a good machine. But performance was it was on par with my 2.4 GHz C2D MacBook Pro. So I wouldn't expect even the 2.5 GHz quad G5 to be anywhere close to a modern i7 based machine.

So I'd suggest a 6-core Mac Pro if you want to stay HD, or if you are okay with native a quad-core i7 based Mac (iMac, MBP, Mac mini). Which ever floats your boat. And if you want the best bang for your buck a hackintosh is an superb option. You can even run HD on one of those.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
I wouldn't expect even the 2.5 GHz quad G5 to be anywhere close to a modern i7 based machine.
You're right, a modern machine draws circles around a machine last produced in late 2005. Seven years is eternity in terms of CPU power.

HOWEVER;

-- and this is a big but --

I would still choose the 2.5GHz G5 quad with HD3 cards when in front of live audience, if the comparison goes to modern iMac or any other laptop which are more powerful CPU-wise. That number is not everything, if you need to get that machine up and running for +12 hours at full steam. Properly cooled workstation is more reliable than laptop-grade computer that is designed to look pretty.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You're right, a modern machine draws circles around a machine last produced in late 2005. Seven years is eternity in terms of CPU power.

HOWEVER;

I would still choose the 2.5GHz G5 quad with HD3 cards when in front of live audience, if the comparison goes to modern iMac or any other laptop which are more powerful CPU-wise. That number is not everything, if you need to get that machine up and running for +12 hours at full steam. Properly cooled workstation is more reliable than laptop-grade computer that is designed to look pretty.
I agree. And that's why I built my own "Mac Pro". that and a quality interface with quality drivers (metric halo for me), and I'm good to go. But everyone has different needs and ways of getting their work done. I was just commenting on the fact you want to use a lot of VI's. IMO a modern machine based on an i7 quad or hexa-core is king of the hill. And the best way to do what you want to do in one machine. However everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :)
Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 PM

CME mentioned the hackintosh, what's the story with these? Anyone have experience?

Something like this seems too good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hackintosh...item3f2058958d
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

HOWEVER;

I agree with the newest imacs, they look pretty thin and havn't been proven yet, but i would much rather have my 2009 i7 imac vs. any G5. Especially the crappy liquid cooled ones like the quad(these were so prone to failure, apple actually offered some people mac pros in lieuof the warranty work).

My imac has worked it's ass off for the last 3 years, and spent quite a bit of time in hot rooms during the summer with no AC, while rendering video and doing other cpu intensive tasks. I think that in addition to the fans, the aluminum chassis also acts like a big heatsink.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
one could not pay me enough to take a G5 off of there hands
I agree. Even for free, they aren't worth it unless you already have a pci hd system laying around and ready to go.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
CME mentioned the hackintosh, what's the story with these? Anyone have experience?

Something like this seems too good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hackintosh...item3f2058958d
I think you can come out cheaper building it yourself. But that said it is using a gigabyte mobo and those are the simplest option for hacks. So if you prefer buying pre-fabbed it should be a pretty good machine.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Ok guys, thanks for all the replies. I think I'm settling on what to do but just a couple more questions:

I think I've ruled out the Hackintosh.
I think an 8 core Pro Mac circa 2009/2010 might be just about achievable via ebay with my budget. Can you guys tell me if this could handle Abbey Road drums, addictive drums and similar plugins?

What I might do is pick up the pro mac, use my Mbox mini (v2) with pro tools LE 8 to begin with then add a HD Core/Accel card and suitable interface when I can.

Can you tell me which is the most recent generation of HD cards and what kind of money do they go for 2nd hand? And what is the last/latest version of pro tools that is compatible?

I think this solution should see me ok for another 4 or 5 years.

It free's up my imac to sell and I can keep the Mix system until I get the HD bits then I can sell that.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
What I might do is pick up the pro mac, use my Mbox mini (v2) with pro tools LE 8 to begin with then add a HD Core/Accel card and suitable interface when I can.
First of all, if you want to run PT8 you likely want to run Leopard. Not all Mac Pro generations run that old system. However what I know for sure is that if you pick a 2009 Nehalem model it is compatible with Leopard though it ships with Snow Leopard. If you only can install that Leopard installer the hardware itself is compatible. Later MP's may not be compatible.

It does not matter which PCI-express card(s) you buy, they're all the same. As long as your first card is a "Core" card, all card revisions are just as compatible. AFAIK. It is compatible with the current (=latest) version but will not be compatible with PT11 whenever it will be released.

Perhaps you want to go straight up to latest OSX (Mountain Leopard 10.8.2) and latest PT (10.3.3) because it's not that much more expensive than staying in the lower versions. And once set up, you know that you have the latest of the TDM world.