Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Yes, and let's not forget there's a current promotion to upgrade a vanilla permanent license to an Ultimate permanent license. I suspect the day will eventually come when they'll stop offering support plans for permanent licenses, but it won't be for a while yet.

Also the information about re-instatements has been so contradictory and confusing, I honestly don't think they've even decided what to do about it.
I thought about the Ultimate deal but since I don't use or own any Avid hardware and so I really don't see any benefit to the move apart from 64 tracks instead of 32.... haven't come anywhere near using 32 as of yet.

What benefits would a vanilla PT user gain moving to Ultimate?
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-23-2019, 06:54 PM

All the ultimate users sitting back and checking all the native users flipping out over price !!!!!

After years of Native getting more for less!!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:52 PM

Jefrooooooooo do something!!!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 AM

Ultimate is essential for us post guys if we want to seriously compete in the freelance market. The crossgrade offer wasn't available when I bought mine so paid full price which is why I'm not happy with the way its going. Sound editing isn't my main source of income, I get casual work and usually when I do get paid its no where near industry rates. So...picture this:

It's a rainy Sunday I'm in a creative mood so I think I'll go on Pro Tools and do some sound design stuff....oh but I can't! My licence expired, and I can't afford to renew it because I have food to buy, or the Electric bill is due.

Or

"Honey, do you know that weekend away we planned? Well my film making buddies have made this awesome film and they want me to do the sound but I've no Pro Tools licence, can we go away next month instead??

Rental just does not work for people like me, crossgrading to subscription is not an option because like I said, my pro tools licence has never really paid for itself. So I can freeze my system but I want a DAW that has a future. After 10 years and not knowing any other DAW, its really depressing. I guess it will seperste the pros from the enthusiast, but if that is all Avid care about then they aren't a company worth imvesting in anymore.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:15 AM

I have been using Pro Tools for several years now, adding it to Cubase and Ableton. PT, once set up, has been very stable and in my experience, nothing beats it in editing and mixing workflows.

So, like many, I have been quite shocked at the price increases, which really don't have to do anything with the subscription model. These are plain and simple price increases across the board - and I have signed up to DUC to add my voice to the clamour caused by the announcement.

I might not be able to afford the higher prices. I will certainly never switch to subscriptions. I doubt that Avid can rapidly increase their customer base by 30-40%. So, as sad as it sounds, it seems there is no other option than to raise prices.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Well that's me tapped out.... I didn't mind paying $99usd to keep my perpetual licence up to date. But I'm done and after how long it took to get Mohave support I cannot understand how it can be justified. I paid a lot of money for my perpetual licence not to mention how much to keep it active. There is no way they will bleed $199 USD out of me.... Looks like I'm finally moving to Logic, at least I've had a licence that apple has supported for many many years at no additional cost.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundByLaura View Post

If I had to make a choice today, I'd buy 2-3 years of service plans at $99 and then start looking at other DAWs. We'll see how this shakes out over the next two weeks, but that's my plan.
I have just done this, bought two year of updates whilst I transition to a new solution. Most likely Logic x which I already have a licence for. Otherwise it's back to Cubase.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeay View Post
I doubt that Avid can rapidly increase their customer base by 30-40%. So, as sad as it sounds, it seems there is no other option than to raise prices.

The solution is to make the product great again.
It was great some ages ago, now is so ridiculously behind the competition, but divA< is so naive to believe that the term "industry standard" will flow for ever...Guess what, this is thin air...people do not buy that *rap anymore.
Make people to pay for the product by heart and not by using extortive and shoddy practices, like the ones introduced a few days ago.

They miserably failed to deliver, even with the model of annual plan that supposedly
would bring them cash flow to develop at a faster pace, as they said when they announced it some years ago. We all know the outcome of that. The 2019 release fiasco is the evidence of how bad things will evolve. Instead of let some time pass and remedy users for their patience, with a release that will include the most asking features....they had that brilliant idea to announce new pricing.

They had many chances to get out of dept, they didn't listen to their customers but they preferred another way, a stupid one IMO. Hope they are ready to accept the repercussions of their actions and that is....getting deeper in dept.

Cheers!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
The solution is to make the product great again.
It was great some ages ago, now is so ridiculously behind the competition, but divA< is so naive to believe that the term "industry standard" will flow for ever...Guess what, this is thin air...people do not buy that *rap anymore.
Make people to pay for the product by heart and not by using extortive and shoddy practices, like the ones introduced a few days ago.

They miserably failed to deliver, even with the model of annual plan that supposedly
would bring them cash flow to develop at a faster pace, as they said when they announced it some years ago. We all know the outcome of that. The 2019 release fiasco is the evidence of how bad things will evolve. Instead of let some time pass and remedy users for their patience, with a release that will include the most asking features....they had that brilliant idea to announce new pricing.

They had many chances to get out of dept, they didn't listen to their customers but they preferred another way, a stupid one IMO. Hope they are ready to accept the repercussions of their actions and that is....getting deeper in dept.

Cheers!
Great post. Usually profits follow creating a great product that draws people in. As someone who as created and sold profitable businesses, becoming competitive never starts with raising prices first, then delivering a great product. It just doesn't work that way. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes here, but considering how long it took to get 19.5 out, it would appear that the whole Pro Tools project is starved of staff/labor hours, and raising prices is how they are trying to get out from the hole. Dumb.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 AM

I'm not sure if anyone at Avid is reading this thread... but at least here are my feelings as an owner of the following:
  • Perpetual Ultimate license (PT user since PT6 - I don't want to calculate $$$ on upgrades and plans)
  • S3, Dock
  • HD Native, Omni, 2x192 with extra AD cards, PRE and some 96s lying around
  • 2x Artist Mix, Control and Transport

I just want to clarify that I'm not a "pro" in the sense that this is not my full time job, neither my main income, but this is my main hobby. I'm sure the "big pros" will be mostly ok with the new price model, but not all the money Avid gets is coming from that segment.

With these news I'm just regretting when I bought the 002 and jumped on the ProTools wagon.

I'm also regretting every time I spoke to friends (mainly sound guys) about how happy I was with the ProTools workflow, etc, and got them dragged into this, and now they also have to deal with it. It feels really bad to be honest.

So, at least from my side, is not just the issue about people sticking with their current perpetual licenses, not going for the subscription and moving potentially to a different DAW, but it's also the bad rep that Avid is getting.

Other issue will be people selling the hardware. Once I'm out of the ecosystem, it doesn't make sense for me to keep half of the stuff I got. With more people doing this, the products will depreciate in value. That's just plain supply/demand.

I'm sure ProTools itself will be fine, even if Avid goes bankrupt (probably the best that can happen), someone else will buy it for cheap and make something good out of it.

TLDR:
To Avid:
Great way of losing your customers, and also good luck on getting new ones.

To you guys:
Good luck finding peace somewhere else