Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM

Default Mac Pro Nehalem / Pro Tools 8cs2 / quicktime movie sync problem

For the last few years I always worked with the movie window on a second monitor set to full screen. It looks great with uncompressed picture from the avid and is a very simple way of doing it as it scrubs etc. perfectly in time. I was using a G5 dual 2Ghz with pt7.3 / Mac OS 10.4.11 and it's worked well like that for years....
After upgrading to my new Mac Pro Nehalem / pt8 the picture won't play in sync if it's on a second monitor. I'm using a mini Display Port to DVI adapter with the new graphics card but it makes no difference swapping these monitor o/p's around. The picture will play fine as long as it's on the same monitor as the pt8 edit page. If it's playing out of sync on the second monitor and I drag the edit page across to the second monitor it starts playing in sync again. It happens with all formats of picture - I've tried it with H264 / Integer (Big Endian) / DV and the results are always the same....

I've had to dust off my canopus box to get round the problem so I can keep working - but the picture quality of dv / canopus is quite poor compared to the newer formats....

Any suggestions welcome!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro Nehalem / Pro Tools 8cs2 / quicktime movie sync problem

I was laying back to video today on my second screen with nehalem 8 corce 2.26 Pro Tools HD 8.0cs2 with no video latency. Try setting your processors to 15!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:51 AM

I've seen this before when there was a slight overlap of one window onto a second screen.

Check your monitor resolutions and make sure use the green button to maximise the window rather than dragging the corner.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 AM

Out of interest what type of monitor are you using - are you using the mini Display Port to DVI adapter? I don't think it's a power issue - my imac with second screen / mbox set up at home will eat these sessions no problem and I get the same result if I'm running picture with one mono audio track.... I can get rid of the problem by setting the quicktime preference to 'highest' but by doing that it locks me out and I can't do anything whilst it's playing - not much good for workflow!!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM

Bump. I dont have this issue with PT 8 (release version) I am working the same way and am now reluctant to upgrade to cs2 based on this thread. Id like to know what digi has to say about it.
2009 MacPro w/Two 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors - 6 GB - Mbox2 PRO - Pro Tools 8 w/Complete Production Toolkit - 3 x KRK RPG 6s, 2 x KRK RPG 5s, 1 x KRK 10S / T-racks 3 / Izotope RX / Wave Arts / PSP / Massey / Joemeeks / ARC system/ Snapper / Microphones galore