How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 AM

Default SoundCloud -no so hot!

Hey guys,
Does anybody find SoundCloud to be a real JOKE as a serious upload place. So amazed Avid associated themselves with such a fledgling site that can't keep up with the uploads.. They're always giving me warning messages that they're having trouble with 'coding' the music -- it will be available LATER.. Thanks for your patience -- blah, blah..

Especially when you sent up 'private' listening via email -- it's just a mess. It doesn't recognize people set up already when you invite them - and others never get the invite email (not in their junk mail folders either).. It's just a MESS..

Is anyone having any success with it.. I've had to go back to DropBox to give files to clients.. I'm very disappointed. The idea - of having a cloud service so integrated with ProTools software itself was a compelling idea. But Avid should have vetted these guys better.. The service is VERY bad in my use of it this last few weeks. I've bailed.. Real joke..
Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Default Re: SoundCloud -no so hot!

It was great for me around 2 years ago on a mastering job with 14 24 bit 44.1 wav files. The music was at least 5 minutes per song, up to 8 minutes.
I recently loaded up one song of mine and it linked it to Facebook. No one had a problem with that. My mastering job was still up there!
I think maybe it's getting very congested now and they are probably lagging in servers or something. I think it's just growing pains. Drop box works ok but I love the visual comments. I like how you can turn those off when trying to listen to public files.
I also had problems with Drop Box with the client being notified way too early about the upload. after 3 hours it finally resolved itself after a deletion and a re upload with a note to wait 3 hours for the gigabyte upload to process.
I'll have to try out Soundcloud again. I got another tune going up.
good luck.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 PM

odd. I have never had a problem uploading to Soundcloud.

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Works really well for me, considering the shabby internet we have down here.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 AM

I have no problem uploading to Soundcloud. I have not tested the private listening via email function.

My only problem with soundcloud is the sound quality.
Ideally it should be just as good as the original mp3 file, but its far from it!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I have no problem uploading to Soundcloud. I have not tested the private listening via email function.

Ideally it should be just as good as the original mp3 file, but its far from it!
That's interesting to look into. As I posted, I did a whole mastering job and the results were satisfactory. If you are using the same listening device, it should be the same. SoundCloud kept my wave and aif files intact. I honestly haven't tried MP3s on SoundCloud. Usually, I make MP3s just to mail them out. I like SoundCloud because I can throw up a full wave.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post

Hmm. Another reason to dump them.. Are you ACTUALLY telling us that the file you upload, at YOUR chosen quality level gets 'recompressed' or something by SoundCloud?? Unreal - say it isn't so!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Are you ACTUALLY telling us that the file you upload, at YOUR chosen quality level gets 'recompressed' or something by SoundCloud??
Yes. You can't control (to my knowledge) the quality of the streaming, but you always have the option to download the original (that little arrow) which will be the exact same file you uploaded to SoundCloud. I often tell my clients to download for serious listening.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM

And by the way, despite some quirks, SoundCloud is great.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Avid

Post Re: SoundCloud -no so hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
Hmm. Another reason to dump them.. Are you ACTUALLY telling us that the file you upload, at YOUR chosen quality level gets 'recompressed' or something by SoundCloud?? Unreal - say it isn't so!
http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/...articles/94796 says they "transcode all tracks to 128 kbps mp3 for streaming playback."