Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-01-2019, 07:21 PM

Default PT2018 on Multiple Monitors

Every topic I see on this is old. Lots of references to Skootch, which doesn't seem to be updated anymore.

So I'll ask...On windows 10...

Aside from resizing the main window across two screens, is there a way to undock pro tools windows (mix, edit, midi, plugins, etc.) and move them to other screens?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:42 PM

Default Re: PT2018 on Multiple Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Every topic I see on this is old. Lots of references to Skootch, which doesn't seem to be updated anymore.

So I'll ask...On windows 10...

Aside from resizing the main window across two screens, is there a way to undock pro tools windows (mix, edit, midi, plugins, etc.) and move them to other screens?

Thanks.

The mix, edit, midi and plugin windows all sit inside the main PT window. I use 2 monitors and the only way I know is to take the main background window across both monitors, and then open edit screen on one side, and mix on the other, which of course can be re-sized however I like with other screens open as well. As far as I know, there's no way to isolate just, say, the edit screen, and slide it over to a second monitor without the main PT host screen there. I've tried doing that (on Win-10), but I don't see any way that can be done as everything must sit inside the PT host screen. And, of course, you can keep any plugin screens open as you wish, limited only by your screen real estate, and slide them whereever you wish them to be.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
The mix, edit, midi and plugin windows all sit inside the main PT window. I use 2 monitors and the only way I know is to take the main background window across both monitors, and then open edit screen on one side, and mix on the other, which of course can be re-sized however I like with other screens open as well. As far as I know, there's no way to isolate just, say, the edit screen, and slide it over to a second monitor without the main PT host screen there. I've tried doing that (on Win-10), but I don't see any way that can be done as everything must sit inside the PT host screen. And, of course, you can keep any plugin screens open as you wish, limited only by your screen real estate, and slide them whereever you wish them to be.

Kinda what I figured. So many windows-based programs allow sub-windows to be undocked from the main screen. Wonder why PT can't allow this.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Kinda what I figured. So many windows-based programs allow sub-windows to be undocked from the main screen. Wonder why PT can't allow this.

Thanks.

I don't know. As I said, if there is a way to do this, I've never seen it. But to be honest, I've never really had a need to do it. Even if it could be done, what's the advantage?

Old 01-02-2019, 06:32 AM

Default PT2018 on Multiple Monitors

Just convenience.

For example, it would be nice to be able to drag the mix window to one monitor, then drag it to the top of that monitor to maximize it.

I’d use it constantly.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Just convenience.

For example, it would be nice to be able to drag the mix window to one monitor, then drag it to the top of that monitor to maximize it.

I’d use it constantly.

Obviously you can do that now as long as the PT host screen is across both monitors. That's what I do. I have the edit screen on the left side, and the mix screen on the right, usually full screen for both. But, if I need one or the other bigger, I stretch them across both screens. I find that works well enough. What I do need is a 3rd monitor for when I do scoring for a video. That's planned for an upgrade I hope to do early this year!

Old 01-02-2019, 06:59 AM

I run Windows 10 here with 3 screens and Donald is mostly correct, but...plugins, memory locations, floating transport and system usage windows can all be placed anywhere, including outside of the main PT "parent" window. I have the parent window stretched across 2 screens with EDIT on one and MIX on the other. Then my 3rd screen holds system usage, memory locations and a large FabFilter ProQ plugin I keep on the master(I like the hi-res metering and the spectrum display). All 3 screens are running at 1920x1080.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 AM

I wish Skootch was still around.
I loved it - even when using a single monitor it cleaned up the PT UI in Windows nicely.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I run Windows 10 here with 3 screens and Donald is mostly correct, but...plugins, memory locations, floating transport and system usage windows can all be placed anywhere, including outside of the main PT "parent" window. I have the parent window stretched across 2 screens with EDIT on one and MIX on the other. Then my 3rd screen holds system usage, memory locations and a large FabFilter ProQ plugin I keep on the master(I like the hi-res metering and the spectrum display). All 3 screens are running at 1920x1080.

Dave - Well, that's a new one for me. I had no idea you could float a plugin screen off the parent screen. Still not sure why I'd do that, though, since I use both screens for edit/mix, like you do.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I also run 3 screens at the console. Much like Dave. No complaints.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com