Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Bypass Preamp Section

Is there any way to bypass only the preamp section of an amp? So you would only be modeling the power section and cab. I'm interested in using an external preamp with the eleven rack.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:29 PM

Default Bypass Preamp Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog orange View Post
Is there any way to bypass only the preamp section of an amp? So you would only be modeling the power section and cab. I'm interested in using an external preamp with the eleven rack.
Nope. The amp sim is all one block. More flexibility has been asked for there in the past. But the product team has long left/been laid off by Avid and I expect no significant upgrades to the Eleven Rack. The Eleven Rack is really great for what it does, but if you want a lot more flexibility than the Eleven Rack provides the Fractal FX is the thing to look at.

Most folks who ask about this want to do the revese of what you are asking. They want to model a preamp. And drive a real power-amp.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-10-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Bypass Preamp Section

I was afraid of that. I really love the 11r. I bought one of the very first ones to come out. I guess I'll be investigating bias. I don't have the coin or need for something as expensive and deep as a fractal. I've got eventide and strymon stuff for that.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:37 AM

You can of course just try experimenting with your Preamp and the Eleven Rack as is. You can try coming in at the Guitar In, line In or FX return with the FX loop block positioned before the amp/cab.

What some of us wanted was the ability to have the FX loop be like a real FX loop and be able to insert between a preamp block and power amp block, or even just the amp and cab.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:03 AM

That's exactly my plan, to go in through the effects return placed in front of the amp. My home setup is two 12" ported cabs with hi wattage celestions. What amp camp combination do you think I should try first. I was thinking maybe a bogner green.

I always found it really odd that while they kept things really accurate for the most part, that they implemented the effects loop the way they did and didn't allow for it to be inserted the way every other effects loop in history is set up.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM

It was to make the development of the amp/cab model easier and I suspect to leverage work from the existing Eleven plugins.

You have a valve preamp and are driving guitar cabs, with what amp? I assumed you were driving full range/PA speakers. Oh well still no harm in playing around.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 AM

My live setup is a bunch of fuzzes and some eventide into my pearce g2r amp. It's a boutique stereo solid state guitar amp from the early 90s. In addition to a stereo effects loop it has stereo preamp outputs. I was planning on running those into the effects return of the eleven rack. I was never using the eleven in my live setup. My 2 cabs are 12" with 100watt celestion g12h speakers. I basically need a clean un-colored high headroom amp on the eleven rack.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 PM

But you have a nice clean uncolored high-headroom amp in the Pearce power section. And won't you be using that anyhow to drive your cabinets?

By all means play around, but what I think most people would do with your setup is either use the preamp sim in the Eleven Rack and drive that into the FX return on your Pearce and/or want to use some of the effects in the Eleven Rack, either in front of the Pearce preamp, with the Eleven Rack acting as preamp or just run the Eleven Rack effects in the FX Loop of the Pearce. The good thing is you can spend weeks playing with this stuff...