Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 AM

Default 12.2.1 Automation Improvements

I'm living dangerously this year. Interesting changes in 12.2.1 that address some of our problems in post:

Quote:
Automation

Special-cased automation write to warnings to alleviate accidental overwriting of automation on all or most of the timeline:
When users start playback without a timeline selection, make an edit selection during playback in hopes of writing automation to the new selection, then use Write to Start, Write to Selected, or Write to End, we will always end the pass with the respective automation warnings even if the preference to suppress warnings is enabled.
The do-to-selected modifier for changing track view to an automated parameter now applies to Plug-ins. For tracks within a track selection that have the same insert in the same slot with the same parameter automated, Shift+Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+Click (Mac) or Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Win+Click (Win) on that parameter in a plug-in GUI will set those track’s views to the clicked parameter.
Changes made to tracks in Auto Read when all automation is suspended no longer reset to previous values when turning off suspend
the rest is here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/r...-Release-Notes
Old 10-01-2015, 02:25 AM

Default Re: 12.2.1 Automation Improvements

So they built in "the guardian angel" functionality which was a separate program before, which is a good start.

For me it's still not fully logical. AVID argues that they didn't want to break the "write to all" functionality" but even PT calls the function "write to selection" when you hover the mouse over the button and wait for the tool-tip to appear.

IMO, the most logical way would be:

No selection made and you hit write to selection----> nothing is written and no nag-screen I need to click away.

When I want to write to the entire 24hours timeline I will select the entire time-line. And then I don't need a screen that I have to click away since doping that is something intentional.

Easy, clear, logical.

But the fix is definitely better than not having it.

F.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 AM

+1 for that Frank.

That is way more logical than the Russian roulette we have now.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:34 AM

I sort of agree with Frank.... but I like the option of writing to the entire timeline... It should be a different button.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:44 AM

Often at the start of the mix, I use the write to entire session function (no selection). But I wouldn't mind if that was taken away. I would want a warning though "no automation was written because there's no selection."

Anyway, this 12.2.1 functionality seems to be a conservative step in the right direction.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Often at the start of the mix, I use the write to entire session function (no selection). But I wouldn't mind if that was taken away. I would want a warning though "no automation was written because there's no selection."

Anyway, this 12.2.1 functionality seems to be a conservative step in the right direction.
Yes, PT11 users can get the same feature using this free little helper:

http://www.maisch.at/styled-3/TheMaischConformer.html

Thanks Bernhard.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Is there still no undo?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Is there still no undo?
What do you mean?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:40 AM

Wait a minute.... this warning only pops up if you hit write to selection when the transport is moving?

I do almost ALL of my automating with that button when my transport is stopped... so this doesn't really protect against anything.

IMO It should fire a warning every time you hit the "write to selection" button when there is no selection present.

So close... just change it a lil bit.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
What do you mean?
Wasn't there an issue where the automation would be overwritten for the entire timeline and it wouldn't undo? I remember going back to Session Backups at one point. Maybe I'm confusing issues.