Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Default EZ Drummer vs Superior Drummer

Hey Guys,
what does Superior Drummer give you as upgrade from EZ Drummer? I'm thinking of purchasing the Nashville pack for EZ (per the ravings in posts i've read ) but i know albee and many have said SD is great. Wondering what the differences are between the two.
Appreciate it.

Digi002 R with Command 8 - PTLE 8.03
Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Default Re: EZ Drummer vs Superior Drummer

Superior Drummer samples, and the SD packs that you buy for them, are 24 bit, vs. EZ Drummer and EZ packs being 16 bit. Also, the Superior packs and samples have more velocity layers and articulations. In some cases they also have more kit pieces, such as the Music City SD pack vs. the Nashville EZ pack.

I think that you also have more flexible mixing options in Superior vs. EZ, and maybe more built in effects.

The Nashville EZ pack was taken from the same recording session as the Music City SD pack, but as mentioned, has less articulations, velocity layers, and a few less kit pieces.

I would highly recommend going to Superior.

Be aware that Toontrack often puts their stuff on sale, alternating what they feature. Superior Drummer might go on sale at half price (I'm not sure if that applies to the upgrade from EZ), then in the next month or two they might feature their SD packs at half price.

So if you time it right, you can save a lot of money.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM

I agree that the move up is worth it. As nice as ezdrummer is, it is limited to only EZX expansion, while SD2 will use ALL the EZX and all the SDX kits. SD also allows you to pull sounds from any kit into another kit(the "X-drum" feature). SD also allows for some editing of sounds that ezdrummer can't do.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks guys. Hoping it will go on sale, as to upgrade/crossgrade, it shows $250 right now! I've seen people on here say they got for $99.

Digi002 R with Command 8 - PTLE 8.03
Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB