Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Will there be an Avid S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
A thought. Do you absolutely need the Dock? Could you just have the S1 plus a tablet?

You lose the jog wheel and transport, but you have knobs and faders on the S1 and aside from the jog wheel, you should be able to replicate the transport on the tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Sardi
This maybe the sensible option for my home setup.
Atleast that way if they do releases a dock V2 or S2 I will already have an extra bank of faders!
Old 09-02-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
+1
At home I'm using Pro Tools with an iPad only and feel nearly as comfortable as in the studio with the dock. Pro Tools Control is a huge improvement to control sessions in my workflow.

Best

Mark
Hi Mark,

That is good to know, how do you find mixing on the iPad?
I do a lot of work with film and spend quite a long time with my hands on faders.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi_User. View Post
I agree with your comments for the most part.
Would you not prefer an Avid S2 though?
This is all very speculative, but no. The Dock and an S1 is a killer combo. For users who understand how to use advanced automation, the Dock has dedicated buttons for all that for under $1k (!). It was just a few years ago that you needed a C|24 or an ICON to get those buttons. Avid has a great lineup. You can build a modular surface slowly over time. Start with an S1 and PT|Control and work up.

And moving faders on the iPad sucks, but it's still better than the mouse. And (this might sound funny) I own an S3 and once in a while I see the send that I want to move on the iPad screen and just tweak it there. Sometimes that's faster than spill/flip on the S3.

Last edited by reichman; 09-02-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: misattribution
Old 09-02-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
This is all very speculative, but no. The Dock and an S1 is a killer combo. For users who understand how to use advanced automation, the Dock has dedicated buttons for all that for under $1k (!). It was just a few years ago that you needed a C|24 or an ICON to get those buttons. Avid has a great lineup. You can build a modular surface slowly over time. Start with an S1 and PT|Control and work up.

And moving faders on the iPad sucks, but it's still better than the mouse. And (this might sound funny) I own an S3 and once in a while I see the send that I want to move on the iPad screen and just tweak it there. Sometimes that's faster than spill/flip on the S3.
So you don’t think it would suck less if the dock had 4 faders like my Artist Control? Cool
Granted they are a killer combo but I was talking about the dock on its own.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So you don’t think it would suck less if the dock had 4 faders like my Artist Control? Cool
Granted they are a killer combo but I was talking about the dock on its own.
Ha! I used the Artist Control and Mix on a big project and those 4 faders were annoying. I wanted to use them, but the alignment was off and the Control never worked well. No, I think 1 fader -or- 1+8 faders. Anything in between would be hard to bank or map. A 4-fader Dock would not be a good design.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Ha! I used the Artist Control and Mix on a big project and those 4 faders were annoying. I wanted to use them, but the alignment was off and the Control never worked well. No, I think 1 fader -or- 1+8 faders. Anything in between would be hard to bank or map. A 4-fader Dock would not be a good design.
Do you prefer your DAW controller on the left, right or in a central position?
I like your reasoning I am now thinking you might be right 8+1 makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Do you use your iPad(s) solely for PT?

Would you rather the S3 or a Dock and an S1?
Because they are practically the same price...
Old 09-02-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:

1. The S1 and Dock do not connect to a computer via a single cable especially if one is an android tablet. When you get that setup working post a video of that working I'll wait. I guarantee you will spend many frustrated hours trying to figure out why your computer is trying to divide by 0.

2. Do we see Avid updating the screens for the S6 M40 or S6 M10 every year? No
Whats the production cost of an iPad? What is the margin of profit and how much would the production cost of a comparable capacitive touch screen running Avid OS (Eucon 2.0) and 1 app (Control app) vs an overpriced iPad running IOS cost? Also as commented above the Dock does not work with Android or newer iPads.

3. How is that a random rant?
Maybe you should look at how products are manufactured in other areas of technology by other companies as these innovative techniques are transferrable.

Avid bought Eucon remember the implementation of mapping software functions to hardware is not unique to Avid, granted they have the best protocol at the moment.
Eucon is mapping software plain and simple, there is nothing stopping another companies from developing another protocol that also carries control information for faders, knobs, displays etc in fact it is happening right now!

This is why innovation lags behind for some companies politics, arrogance, ignorance and greed - get with the times and be bold pioneers.
Why be at the whim of another tech giant who are let's face it a rival, if not in within all professional environments based on their software then at least financially.
1. S3 and Dock connect to a computer via one cable, why wouldn’t the S1?

2. The monitors for the S4 and S6 cost something like $7k. You’d rather pay $7k than a few hundred dollars for a refurbished iPad Air or less for some android crap?

3. This is a random rant because you seem to be pining that you want professional tools but you don’t want to pay for them. Who is being arrogant?
Old 09-02-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Do you prefer your DAW controller on the left, right or in a central position?
I like your reasoning I am now thinking you might be right 8+1 makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Do you use your iPad(s) solely for PT?

Would you rather the S3 or a Dock and an S1?
Because they are practically the same price...
Central! I got the Dock before I got the S3, and I got really good at the Channel/Insert/Plug-In workflow, quickly going into Preview, tweaking and then Punch Preview. Once I got the S3, I loved the faders, the soft keys and channel strip, but honestly, tweaking plug-ins on the top row with channel control is not as good as the Dock. And the Preview button isn't labeled! So if the choice is Dock+S1 or S3, it really depends how you work. I would probably choose Dock+S1 because of my own workflow. Obviously, Dock+S3 is best, but pricier.

If I leave the studio for more than a day or two, I sometimes take the iPad with me for regular use (email, reading, etc.). When the iPad is docked, I turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and run the Lightning>USB adapter>Ethernet adapter to the computer.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:46 AM

Some random thoughts:
1-have you seen the price for Avid's screens for the S4/S6? Tablets or iPads look like a bargain
2-Refurbed iPads can be had for $150 or less(the iPad Pro is the "expensive" route)
3-I like the idea of a DOCK with an S1 on each side

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Central! I got the Dock before I got the S3, and I got really good at the Channel/Insert/Plug-In workflow, quickly going into Preview, tweaking and then Punch Preview. Once I got the S3, I loved the faders, the soft keys and channel strip, but honestly, tweaking plug-ins on the top row with channel control is not as good as the Dock. And the Preview button isn't labeled! So if the choice is Dock+S1 or S3, it really depends how you work. I would probably choose Dock+S1 because of my own workflow. Obviously, Dock+S3 is best, but pricier.

If I leave the studio for more than a day or two, I sometimes take the iPad with me for regular use (email, reading, etc.). When the iPad is docked, I turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and run the Lightning>USB adapter>Ethernet adapter to the computer.
Thanks for your constructive comments and advice you have given me some food for thought!
Leaning towards the S3