Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Default Please HELP! Grey Screen - Lost song, Lost Soul...

Hi folks,

Can anyone help a desperate Newb??

Last night I spent 14 hours recording 11 tracks to a new song. This morning when I tried to open the Session - all tracks were GREY, and my PC freezes right up. I tried trashing my pref's, but that didn't help.

The only thing I can think of is that I recently (double) backed-up my entire Computer to a 2nd external hard drive, which was plugged in (but not in use) while I was recording.

The Tracks are all on-screen, but inaccessible and grey. My Backup Session Files only recovered the 1st 2 tracks for some reason.

If ANYONE out there knows how to fix this problem, I would be forever grateful. I'm about to bug out & you would be saving my brain from explosion...

THANK YOU!!

-- http://www.reverbnation.com/davefitzhugh
Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Please HELP! Grey Screen - Lost song, Lost Soul...

Are the audo files in the audio files folder? If they are, you can import them back into the session.

HTH

Eb
Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Hook up that 2nd external drive and try to open the session. I bet the audio files went to it by mistake(that's a goof that all of us make at least once). If that helps(ie the session opens with all audio), then go to File>Save Session Copy, and check the box for Save all audio files, and save this on your normal recording drive. Then go open the copy session and see that it runs good, before you delete the original messed up version(or just be safe and save everything). Don't let your brain explode. There's too much cleanup and dry cleaning involved

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Phew!!!

THANKS Albee & EBJazz -- I started re-Importing the Audio Files & then got the message about re-hooking up External Drive #2. That did the trick. Both solutions were life-savers!

PT is still acting semi-strange after the Backup, but y'all definitely saved my song (and brains) from utter destruction...

I owe ya' big time, and can't thank you enough!

-- http://www.reverbnation.com/davefitzhugh
Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 PM

This is a common goof(I know I did it a few times), but it can teach you some details to pay attention to. In Preferences, there is a spot where you can check a box for 'Always copy audio files on import"(or something to that effect). Also, check thru the pdf manual on the PT workspace, and drive settings(P, T, and R). Sometimes its best to set your system drive to T for transfer, so you don't accidentally write audio files to it(thinking that they are going into the audio files folder of your session). There's a lot to learn(6 years and I am still learning new stuff every week). Keep at it(and remember, backing things up is a very important skill that nobody thinks of until they lose files)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave