Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Which sampler with Mbox2 beyond Sample Tank2 LE?

I'm not sure where to post this question, so I'll start here. I was playing with the software sampler (Sample Tank2 LE), that comes bundled with PT this past weekend, and would like to expand it. I'm interested in symphonic samples, and searched the Interenet listening to various symphonic samples from some of the companies. I also have a Roland JV-1010 that provide me with piano's, brass, etc. I compared Miroslav Philharmonik, Kontakt2, and EastWest Silver Edition so far. The demo I heard with Kontakt2, which if I understand correctly, uses EastWest samples, sounded truer on the instrument samples, then the Miroslav Philharmonik. I would have to up-grade my Sample Tank to L or XL, in order to import sounds for around $200ish. I only use the sampler to play sounds and mostly use them to re-create the real type instruments I don't have. I won't have a need for synth or moogish sounds. I'm not a keyboard player, but I do have a keyboard controller. I use a Roland GR-30 to provide the midi triggering.

So my question is, which plug-in sampler to use, up-grade, or buy, and what are others are using that would fulfill my needs at $500.00 USD or less?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 11-21-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Which sampler with Mbox2 beyond Sample Tank2 LE?

BTW, I'm using PT 7.0 on a PC with Win XP Pro.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:17 AM

Why not get Reason?

Reason has some great Orchestral refills and the NNXT is a more than capable sampler.

I knw you said you doint want synths but you get all these with Reason.

All for $499

Nice!
2 Gig RAM
Old 11-21-2005, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Thanks for your input and I went to Reason as you suggested, and listened to thier symphonic samples. I know it's in the listeners ears and interpretations, but, the samples sound a little synthy to me. The thing I noticed about the Knotakt2 and EastWest Silver Edition Samples, and it could be a matter of how the player used and constructed the notes, but their demo sounds feel more "real" and again, thats to my ear.

If you go to Native Instruments, and listen to the demo for KONTAKT 2 Demo Tracks, especially Spring Awakening and Floating World, I think you will hear the difference. I'm heading toward this sampler, but I am still open to other opinions and suggestions about this.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 11-21-2005, 09:14 AM

Get the east west gold...Goto soundsonline.com and listen to some of the demos.

By the way here is something from east west...The choirs are from the choir libraries...Incredible.

I have Gold and I love it.
http://www.soundsonline.com/cd_mp3_demos/218828.mp3
Old 11-21-2005, 09:14 AM

Get the east west gold...Goto soundsonline.com and listen to some of the demos.

By the way here is something from east west...The choirs are from the choir libraries...Incredible.

I have Gold and I love it.
http://www.soundsonline.com/cd_mp3_demos/218828.mp3
Old 11-21-2005, 09:49 AM

Yep, Thats the difference I'm hearing too. Does Gold or Silver allow import of other samples?
Edited: Never mind...I got the answer to this question on thier website.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 11-21-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Which sampler with Mbox2 beyond Sample Tank2 L

Have you listened to any of thr Philharmonik demo songs at www.Philharmonik.com? To me it sounds freakin incredible!