Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 & Presonus FireStudio Project

I am trying to use Pro Tools 9 with a Presonus Firestudio Project Interface. Everytime I try to launch Pro Tools, I get the following message at the end of the launch. "ASIO Device properties have been changed by the device control panel. Pro Tools must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Please restart Pro Tools". When you hit the quit button in this message box, Pro Tools shuts down before I can do ANYTHING! Pro Tools does this everytime I try to load/run it. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! I NEED THIS TO WORK ASAP AND IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!! Thanks In Advance for the Help!!!

I am runnnung a Sony Vaio Laptop with an i7 processor and 6gb memory.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 & Presonus FireStudio Project

does Pro Tools launch successfully if you do not use the Presonus and select the VAIO's internal soundcard?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Did you load ASIO drivers from the disk that came with the Presonus unit? Or go to their website and see if you can find drivers? If that fails, try installing ASIO4ALL and see if that works(it has for many, although not for me).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 AM

I solved the problem by installing the ASIO4ALL drivers. Everything has worked since, although I haven’t tried to configure the driver in/outs precisely yet (I have listened to some fairly heavy-duty PT8 projects though and everything worked fine).

Download them, install them, and get back to situation where PT9 freezes with the “Cannot initialise chosen Audio device, please choose another” message on top. Now, you should be able to choose “Okay” and be able to select the ASIO4All playback engine. From there, all should be good!

You might also want to change your firewire port drivers to “Legacy”, but try the above first. Google “Win 7 firewire problems” and you’ll see a bunch of similar hits.

Bagwhan
Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 AM

Thanks Guys for all the helpful comments. I did install the most recent drivers from the Presonus website. The Personus Interface (Firestudio Projecct) would not sync with the driver sent with the device....(Old driver, evidently). I did get a steady sync light AFTER I downloaded the new driver, and, of course, this was done before Pro Tools was installed as described in the installation instructions.. Thanks for the advice about ASIO For All. I'm not very familiar with this, but I will check it out. Can you guys possibly give me some tips on how to set it up with Pro Tools & the Presonus Inteface? I'm trying to set this up for my son who is trying to set up a recording studio. I'm savvy about computers, but not very familiar with Pro Tools software and how to properly set it up relative to the interface device. Thanks for all the past and future assistance!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 AM

Pro Tools does not launch at all, it does the same thing regardless of the selected device. Could it be possible that something is wrong with the software???
Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 AM

longiron07: did you ever solve this one? I ask because I just installed Pro Tools 9 last night on my machine and I'm getting the same issue. I've updated to the latest Universal Control Drivers (3.5.5) and I'm still getting this issue.

Eventually after a few restarts of Pro Tools, it does work, but it's a terrible hassle.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Just an update on this situation as I've had some time last night to play around with things a bit more.

I was getting this error even after installing the 9.02 update and the Windows 7 x64 Service Pack 1 update.

I installed the 3.5.5 Universal Control Drivers from Presonus (Note: You'll want to make sure your firmware is up to date)

With the Presonus Universal Control mixer open, I went it and set the audio settings at 48khz/256 Samples/Safe Mode 1/clock:Firestudio Project.
I launch PT 9.02 and make sure my Playback Engine settings match the settings of the Presonus Universal Control. If you make any changes, you will likely have to restart PT.
The problem that I'm seeing is that PT playback settings come out of agreement from the Presonus Universal Control settings. After PT would crash with the ASIO error, I noted that I would access the PreSonus Universal Control settings and they are changed to something like 44.1khz/512samples, etc. I'm not sure if PT is doing that, or if it's a bug with the driver. Nevertheless, if you make sure that the settings match, PT seems quite stable.

Since similar issues seems to be occuring with non-Presonus interface devices, it would suggest this might be a PT bug that needs to be ironed out.

Last edited by Irish916; 03-11-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: additional comments
Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Hi:
Did you guys ever find out anything more on this? I'm going through the same issue (FireStudio Project ASIO use gets me the "ASIO device properties have been changed....."). Using ASIO4All solves this problem, but then I can't use the PreSonus unit for playback (ASIO4All just plays back through my computer audio), and I also can't get audio into PT. I've got PT 10, which hopefully isn't the issue, but I've done all the other stuff here (downloaded the latest PreSonus driver, etc.). Kind of at my wits end and don't what to do other than sell the FS and find some other interface. Sorry if I'm missing something elsewhere in the database in my newbie ignorance, but if anyone could offer any guidance I'd much appreciate it.
Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 AM

See this...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...control&page=4