Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-02-2002, 09:15 PM

Default Question for those who\'ve built their own computer

If I decided to build my own computer, how hard would it be to salvage my hard drives from my current computer and keep all of the info that's on them right now? It'd be a lot easier than trying to get all of the current software re-authorized on the new drives, don't you think?

paul
Old 09-02-2002, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Question for those who\'ve built their own computer

Paul,
Well, I'll jump over to this topic too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
You can absolutely use your old HD in a new pc, without losing what's stored in it.
If your wife gets the old pc, you may just want to look into an External Firewire drive, so you can easily transfer files from one pc to the other. It's like walking from room to room with a little CD player, and plugging it in to either pc.
I had a Compaq Presario w/ a 20gb system HD, and a 40 GB Storage HD. It is now my son's, but I still have copies of most of my sessions on that 40GB HD.

My new pc (which a friend built for me) has a 20GB internal sys. HD, and I have a 40GB External Firewire drive with it as well.

But, to answer your question, yes. If I wanted to, I could put my old 40GB HD into this new pc, with everything in it.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:30 PM

Ya totally possible...you might have to reinstall windows though as this is often the case going from one machine to another. (at least in my experiences) but you get lucky too and windows will just install the new drivers for everything. Either way you can keep the software and authorizations intact I'm sure.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by buzzyb:
Either way you can keep the software and authorizations intact I'm sure.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">don't count on that. if you just plug the old drive into your new computer, windows WILL find and install the drivers for your new components. however, in my experience, some authorizations may get lost. d-verb, for example, is very picky about hardware changes.

since the possibility exists for authorization problems, my advice would be to de-authorize or backup all your apps before you put the drive in the new machine. then take the time to format your system partition and reinstall windows.

GET NORTON GHOST!!!!!!!!! if you've been living under a rock, you may not know just how useful ghost is. i would not compute without it now...
Old 09-03-2002, 07:52 AM

I don't have experience with this but, if you move your hard drive to a computer with a different motherboard, I don't think it would work.

In any event, it would be best to make a backup of important files, installers, mail, bookmarks onto CD.

Also, make an inventory of software you don't have installers for so you can get them from the internet.

Then wipe the drive and install the new OS on it in the new computer.

Update any hardware drivers you need.

Finally, re-install all software and the files from CD.

I might add that simply moving the hard drive to a new computer with a new operating system would yield even more problems.

It is best to start fresh. Your computer will perform better, will be less likely to have problems and if you do have some, you will be able to troubleshoot them much more easily.

You also get the added benefit of gaining experience installing your software and hardware.

After installing everything, run disk scan, disk clean-up and defragment your drive. You may also run a virus scanner.

Update your OS and any software to the latest versions beforehand.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:36 PM

I bought Norton Ghost and am totally lost trying to get an image of my system disk saved to CD. I don't have partitions and am only running one OS (Win 98SE). I thought I was pretty savvy about computers but the Norton manual leaves me totally confused. Can anyone give me the straight procedure for backing up my system drive to a CD and then explain the procedure for re-installing the old image if my system gets corrupted.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Howell:
[QB]You can absolutely use your old HD in a new pc, without losing what's stored in it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">To clarify, when I said the above, I did mean as a backup drive. I would indeed start fresh for a system drive.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markus44uk:
Can anyone give me the straight procedure for backing up my system drive to a CD and then explain the procedure for re-installing the old image if my system gets corrupted.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ghost works best when you're working with data that doesn't need to be updated often. i set up my system drive so that ALL my personal data - including my email - is stored on separate partitions. that way, if i ever have a crash, i don't have to worry about backing up. i can just apply the ghost image and pick up where i left off.

you also will need to keep the image and the program on a separate partition. obviously, you can't obliterate the file you need to load. no installation necessary for ghost, just drop the files into a folder on a separate partition. i keep mine in a folder called \ghost and the images go into \ghost\images.

now, to run the program, you need a startup disk. start your computer with the startup floppy and cd to the folder you keep the ghost program in and run ghostpe.exe. the rest is simple - just follow the instructions. to apply the image, do the same thing.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:42 PM

Sorry Roy,
I wondered about that. No problem for that. You will just have to set your jumper on that drive for slave.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2002, 05:43 PM

i forgot - you said you don't have partitions. you need to make some. turn your system drive into a 4-5GB partition. if you're not storing data on it, then you won't have any problems with the size...