How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2024, 01:37 PM

Default Puzzled

Hello
I can not get Pro Tools 2024.3 to start unless I remove all the plugins and delete the plugin cache. As I start to put back the plugins back into the plugin folder, Pro Tools loads, and I can start a new project and use the plugins. So, I quit Pro Tools, add more plugins, start Pro Tools, load the project, and I can use the plugins. What I found out that I can add plugins without quitting Pro Tools. If I move Plugins into the plugin folder while Pro Tools is running, I get a window message that states there are new plugins available to use in my project. Pro Tools must monitor the plugin folder. They also register the new added plugins in the plugin cache as I add new plugins. I go to use them, and all is fine. All the plugins work fine, and Pro Tools runs great. If I quit Pro Tools and run Pro Tools again, Pro Tool tries to start but crashes during the plugin scan.
This is what has me puzzled. If I delete the plugin folder and the plugin cache folder, Pro Tools rebuilds the folders on start up. I found some plugins that work fine alone without any issue no matter how they are added to pro Tools but when combined together, added to the plugin folder, Pro Tools crashes on start up during the plugin scan.
I am currently using Pro Tools 2023.12 and all is working just fine on a 2012 Mac Pro with 10.14.7 OS.
I know that my compute and OS is not supported so I am not looking for troubleshooting or a fix.
I just find it puzzling that some plugins scan fine on startup alone but not with combinations of other plugins.
In a nutshell, plugin A works fine, plugin B works fine, but when A and B reside in the plugin folder together, Pro Tools crashes on start up.
Am I missing something here? I tried to explain this the best I can.
Anyway, thanks for hearing me out.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Puzzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furitus View Post
As I start to put back the plugins back into the plugin folder, Pro Tools loads, and I can start a new project and use the plugins.
Hi, Do you mean an actual "project" or a "session"?

Quote:
If I move Plugins into the plugin folder while Pro Tools is running, I get a window message that states there are new plugins available to use in my project.
That's strange - I've never seen that before. Could you past a screenshot? I've also never experienced what you are. Anytime there's a problem for me starting Pro Tools loading plugins, it's been one particular plugin causing the problem. If I remove the problem plugin, it loads fine.

Quote:
If I delete the plugin folder and the plugin cache folder, Pro Tools rebuilds the folders on start up.
Which "plugin folder" are you talking about - where is it located? I think the default plugin folder may get rebuilt if you delete it, but I've never seen the main plugin folder do that.

I'll have to see if I can replicate this.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-29-2024, 06:42 AM

This issue happens in a session.
I will post a screen shot shortly of the window. I need to install 2024.3 again. to display this window.
The plugin folder is the default folder where the plugins get placed when installing Avid plugins or any other brand plugins.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:04 AM

I attached a screen shot of the window.
This window does not appear in Pro Tolls 2023.12. This only appears in 2024.3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.53.30 PM.jpg (35.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2024, 11:14 AM

This is all new behavior and it's clearly having problems, not just with you.

You likely have a plugin that is interacting badly with this. At least that's where to start, which great, is what you have tried.

You can try to find that plugin (or set of plugins) by putting back/removing plugins in batches. *But* I would only do that when Pro Tools is shut down, and I would do that after deleting the plugin cache files in each test (since there seem to be some problems there in general). Make sure you are deleting the new style plugin cache locations, not the old ones, which I assume you are doing.

It is not unheard of for multiple plugins to have a bad interaction. These are largely unprotected prices of code doing whatever they want, including scribbling stuff in memory anywhere they want. And you are likely exploring a new class of problems with the new plugin cache so trust what your tests tell you. But again I'd be doing each test step shut down and after trashing the plugin cache files each time.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:58 PM

Thanks for your help.