Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2018, 09:31 AM

Default IO Setup/Settings Problems

Hello, since I moved from Pro Tools 10 to Pro Tools 12/2018 I was starting to get messed IO Settings.

Under Pro Tools 10 I didn't realize any Problems when working with Projects on different Computers. But lately I noticed that my Audio wasn't routed the correct way.

Can somebody give me some Hints how to setup the IO properly so I can take my Proejcts to different Computers without the worry of messing up all my Routing.
I use quite a few Busses for Drumrecording/Mixing. I have set everything up for my Fireface UC and named the Busses how I would like them. It work great when I only use that Session at Home. But when I open a Session from another Computer it loses the Ins and Outs for Auxes and also the MainOuts aren't correct anymore.

Even if I import the saved IO Settings here at home it happens that I can't see or route to the Output I made in the IO Settings. There are Still Inputs and Outputs from the other Computer.

I guess I need to learn more of how to utilize the IO Menu.

Heavy Greetz
Old 12-22-2018, 04:35 AM

Default Re: IO Setup/Settings Problems

Hey there! You're right, that is very frustrating but there is an easy solution. When you open your session elsewhere you will be promoted with a message saying something like " io has changed. Do you any to view io setup?"

Click yes, go-to io setup. At the bottom of the screen you will see the tab "restore to session" or something like that... Sorry, not near protool...

Clicking that should clear it all up. It's annoying. This should really be the default, but there ya go!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:49 AM

Here are a couple of things that may help in the long run:
If you work at home AND at another spot(and only that one other system), you could rename some of your IO to match the other setup. Example, I ran 2 systems here that shared work, an HD/Native rig in the big room and an Mbox 2 PRO in the small room. On the small rig, I named the 2 mic inputs to match 2 inputs of the big rig, and I named the output path the same on both rigs(Main Out L/R). I also copied all my session templates and track presets to both machines and we both always work off those templates.

Any time you open a session that came from another setup, it helps to open the IO settings>Output tab and either rename(to match your outputs) or delete any path that is shown in italics(which means its not a working path)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-22-2018, 02:43 PM

I have always had I/O issues especially since I would sometimes monitor out of 9-10 on my older TDM rig and my home LE rig would monitor out of 1-2. Bringing sessions from the current studio to home can be little bit of an issue but now I am monitoring from 1-2 from all PT systems used so its not such a big deal but more annoying. So normally I just delete and default the I/O to which ever rig I am using. It just takes a couple clicks to do.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 12-22-2018, 03:44 PM

i/o setups can be saved and restored...
Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the replys. I totally forgot to subscribe to the Thread.

I will try some of the suggestions out. In the next few days I will get a new Computer which I had to install from Scratch. Hopefully that will give me the Oppurtunity to get some good working IO Setup.

Right now I work with 2 different Pro Tools Version (10 and 2018). Mostly cause I use Massey DRT and there is still no AAX Plugin.

And I also use another Computer which also uses Pro Tools 2018.

At Home I have a Fireface UC. But the other Computer is working with an X32.

Heavy Greetz
Old 12-31-2018, 02:27 PM

According to Steven here DRT is AAX64 bit now and it is working in PT11 and up. The whole Massey v2 bundle works in AAX64 bit since 2017 ...

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...compatibl.html

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-01-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
According to Steven here DRT is AAX64 bit now and it is working in PT11 and up. The whole Massey v2 bundle works in AAX64 bit since 2017 ...

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...compatibl.html
The AAX Version for Mac is around quite a while but I am on Windows and I don't think we will ever get a new Version which works with newer Pro Tools Versions like 12/2018

Very sad cause I haven't found anything similar which works as great for me.

Heavy Greetz
Old 01-02-2019, 01:37 PM

I alway use port 129 and up for my personal 1/0 setting.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:02 AM

So I took your Tips and I seemed to have a good working IO Setup right Now. I still have to delete some Busses from Time to Time when I open a Project and load my freshly created IO Setup into that Session.

How many Busses do you work with normally. The IO Setup I created has 132 active Busses right now. Of course they are not all in Use all the Time buy I wanted to have them kinda sorted for Stuff I sometimes do with my Mixes. And the 132 Busses didn't even include anything for Vocals right now.

Heavy Greetz