Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2015, 07:21 AM

Default ProTools Deck Emulation

I have a Sony DMX R100 and am trying to get Transport control over ProTools HD10.

I am using a KeySpan USB serial adapter and am trying to get Jog Wheel and Transport and Jog Wheel control over Remote 9 pin. Anyone have any advise? Or experience getting this to work?

I'm not wanting a control surface just looking to make ProTools a virtual Tape machine.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 AM

Default Re: ProTools Deck Emulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGraham045 View Post
I have a Sony DMX R100 and am trying to get Transport control over ProTools HD10.

I am using a KeySpan USB serial adapter and am trying to get Jog Wheel and Transport and Jog Wheel control over Remote 9 pin. Anyone have any advise? Or experience getting this to work?

I'm not wanting a control surface just looking to make ProTools a virtual Tape machine.

Only way I have found transport control to work, is to use the black cable that came with Machine control stand alone back in the day!!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 AM

I purchased the Machine Controll license and cables separate. The cables appear to work. Are the Deck Emulation cables different from the Deck Control cables?

I believe I might have Serial Control Cables. But when I select Serial Control in Perhipals my system looses sync. Anyways When selecting Deck Emulation what device should I select for the Sony DMX R100? It's default is BVW75....

BTW I am running OS 10.8.5 on a Mac. I know that Yosemite and the Serial Adapter don't work.

Do you have transport and jog wheel controll over ProTools using deck emulation with the Sony DMX R100? I'm wandering if I'm doing something wrong or if this just won't work.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 PM

Pro Tools uses different cable wiring depending on whether it is a controller (master that commands another deck) or deck emulator (slave, which I believe is the configuration you need). The difference I think is to swap the T and R wires. I used to keep a short crossover adapter around that would swap those pairs when necessary.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:14 PM

By chance do you remember where you got the adapter? Sounds like that might be the easiest way to get this workin
Old 10-10-2015, 02:23 PM

I built one with a male 9D on one end and femaile on the other. google "RS422 crossover" and you'll be able to find pinouts if you're into DIY and adapters for purchase. Hope it does the trick for you.

The adapter swaps pins 2-3, 4-6, 7-8. You can wire 1 to 1 and 9 to 9 if you are anal but most people just leave them unconnected/ They might make a difference in very long runs.