Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2004, 10:10 AM

Default What\'s new at DigiWorld 2004 ??

Well, let's hear it!
Old 10-30-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: What\'s new at DigiWorld 2004 ??

Come on, no new stuff at AES or DigiWorld? I guess we're waiting until NAMM for the new stuff, huh?
Old 10-30-2004, 04:56 PM

let the rumors begin...
Old 10-30-2004, 07:47 PM

The new stuff is Mojo and v6.6 for TDM Mac. No big deal unless you are in post.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:26 PM

Yep there's nothing new there for the audio folks, although I saw a great demo today on PT 6.7. It wasn't groundbreaking but it's a step in the right direction.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:08 PM

There is nothing new from Digi out here except 6.7 (which we all know about)....

I was just gald to meet Dan Lavry, and Daniel Weiss !!! And I ran back into Bob Lugwig (I already knew him)....

Had LONG conversations with them.. Learned alot, and have alot to share !!

The most impressive things at AES this time to me was some things I didn't know exsisted, and that I didn't come here to see.

1- Is a new thing called "Virtual Mixer" .. It is a plug in that allows you to mix visually and place your instruments in a "field" of left to right, front to back, up and down, and anywhere in between in a 360% in all direction circumference... Purely AWESOME !!! I wanted to not like it because the idea seems like it shouldn't work, or is too furturestic,,, but it sounded AMAZING , and was quick.
I never seen or heard anything like it, and it worked in simple STEREO !!! Not surround. MAc and PC, and every platform !! It is NOT sample rate reliant, so it will work under any sample rate your session is in !! Simply the best thing I seen there...

If you had surround capabilities though, it would just be that much better... It works with any DAW, and you do not have to worry about it being high quality, or having a summing problem, or adding any un-wanted artifacts to your mix because it doesn't work like that. Pro Tools, it's summing buss, and busses, routes, etc... and everything that did your mix before still does it the same way. Look at this Virtual Mixer as just an extension (if you will) of your mix window, and just way more visual.

You also get a pair of glasses and you use them to mix, because you mix in 3D !!! Is is frickin' insaine !!!! And for extra you can get a Glove, and touch screen, and you just physically with your hand grab the cymbal (or whatever) and place it in the field where you want it.... Like Minority Report the movie,..... You just gotta see it, and hear it...

2- Spectrasonics new Trilogy Bass Moduel and Stylus RMX plug ins completely stole the show man !!!!!!! That sh%t was hotttttt.

I also went to Digi world,,,, but honestly, it was boring compared to that Virtua Mixer, and Spectrasonics...
Digi World was just a bunch of stuff I already seen, know about, and don't care about.... (except for 6.7,, I really do care about that)..
Old 10-31-2004, 05:33 AM

Infa, do you have a link for this thing called "Virtua Mixer" ?
It sounds cool.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:23 PM

I was happy to meet Bobby and JoAnn from URS Plugins. They've got to be two of the nicest people in our business. Not only are their EQ plugins probably the best and most musical out there, their customer service exceeds my expectations. I will always support that company. Hopefully they'll stay small.They told me they've got a compressor plug-in in the works. I think it's still beta and they're working out all the bugs. I can't wait!!

I thought 6.7 was pretty killer too. Good to see Digi's not replacing the HD since I just got mine in June. Digidesign's HQ is awesome. What a great building. Starbucks and Jamba Juice on the first floor. Can't beat that! LOL!

Tried to ask the guy at Native Instruments how to get my Kontakt working. He just said it works fine on his. Geez, that really helps. I'll make sure not to give anymore of my money to NI. Anyone want to buy Kontakt from me??? $275.00 out the door!

The new G Channel from McDSP looked and sounded pretty amazing too. If it was in the $400 range I'd get it tomorrow.

The Icon looks amazing, however looking at that was just a moot point for me. I could never justify spending that much for a control surface.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Not only are their EQ plugins probably the best and most musical out there
I agree !!

Quote:
I thought 6.7 was pretty killer too. Good to see Digi's not replacing the HD since I just got mine in June. Digidesign's HQ is awesome. What a great building. Starbucks and Jamba Juice on the first floor. Can't beat that! LOL!
Don't forget Fuddruckers man !!! That's the real pay off. I go there every day.

Quote:
The Icon looks amazing, however looking at that was just a moot point for me. I could never justify spending that much for a control surface.
Especially when a old SSL 4000G sounds way better !!

Krid Wrote:
Quote:
Infa, do you have a link for this thing called "Virtua Mixer" ? It sounds cool.
It IS cool man... I tell ya, even people that are thinking it aint so cool right now reading this will SOON be using it !! It is THAT cool, and personally soon to be essiential. CLICK HERE -- And put your feet and hands inside the rails at ALL times !!!!!

Remember it is still in beta mode...
Old 11-01-2004, 07:49 AM

Digiworld was great. It was massive! They had so many things going on, dozens of developers, at least ten different PT demo areas - Icon, Venue, post, surround etc. Lots of interesting people to talk to.

You see a Digi event like that plus their huge AES presence, then you see the 'wanna be' platforms like Logic and Steinberg on the AES show floor in a tiny booth with a couple of guys...it's easy to see why Digi is the leader.