Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Default Burl Mothership Issue with Pro Tools HD Native

I am having an issue getting my Burl Mothership to track using the Burl A/D converters.

System:
- Mac Mini - Mac OS X Yosemite
- Pro Tools HD IO 8x8x8
- Pro Tools HD 12 Software
- HD Native Thunderbolt - The Burl Mothership is connected to this box via a Digilink cable.
- Burl Mothership with Digilink and 8 A/D converters

I can get a signal going in to the Burl Mothership A/D converters as the LED lights up on the Burl but I cannot get a signal into Pro Tools. Nothing will record. The Burl is connected via Digilink to the HD Native Thunderbolt I am unsure how to get the signal from the Burl A/D into Pro Tools.

I am assuming that I could use A-1 as my input when recording a track and patching in the Burl A/D and using the 1st A/D converter on the Burl???

Attached are some screens of my setup. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burl-1.jpg (69.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Burl-2.jpg (70.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Burl-3.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Burl-4.jpg (44.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Burl-5.jpg (39.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Burl Mothership Issue with Pro Tools HD Native

anyone?
Old 09-17-2016, 11:34 AM

Default Hooking up A/D converter with HD Native Thunderbolt Digilink

Hi,

I am trying to correctly configure Pro Tools to hook up an external A/D converter with the HD Native Thunderbolt box via Digilink.

- Pro Tools HD IO 8x8x8
- Pro Tools HD 12.5.2 Software
- HD Native Thunderbolt box. Pro Tools HD and the A/D converter are connected via Digilink.
- Patch bay - A/D converter ins and Pro tools HD ins and outs are patched in.

I am patching in the following:
Mic -> Mic pre -> A/D ins.

Through this I can get a signal going into the A/D converters (the LED's light up correctly) but I cannot get or forward that signal into Pro Tools.

A/D is connected via Digilink to the HD Native Thunderbolt and shows up in the Hardware section in Pro Tools correctly.

Could I use the input A-1 in pro tools as my track input when recording and patching in the 1st A/D channel which will then go into pro tools via the Digilink? A-2 for the 2nd A/D channel etc? Do I need some other hardware or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Hooking up A/D converter with HD Native Thunderbolt Digilink

You are using the converter in the 8x8x8? Or do you mean another external converter to that?

What is the exact symptom of your problem? Track meters never move? You don't hear anything when tracking? You don't see a waveform being recorded? Nothing plays back?

Do you have things working enough so that you can drop a pre-recorded audio file onto an audio track into Pro Tool and play it back at all? If not start there.

If you are going into the 8x8x8 converter analog in and you see a level there on the front panel then leave all that alone. Your problem is most likely software/finger related.

Does Digitest runs OK? (mostly just want you to always get used to running Digitest for problems).

Is the HD interface actually selected as the playback engine? (No don't assume go check)

You have a mono audio track? Not say instument track?

What are the audio track input you are actually trying to use? "A-1"? like you say?

What does Setup>IO>{Input|Output|Bus} show? For each of those pages try deleting all IO paths and defaulting them.

If that does not work then more clear info needed. What exact input/mic, what exact preamp, what exact cabling/wiring connectors to the 8x8x8 input (what pins on the DB-25 connector are wired to what). Screenshots of those Setup>IO pages, playback engine page, and the mix window showing the track with IO selector buttons.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:29 PM

I am using an external A/D Converter - Burl Mothership via Digilink. The Burl has 8 XLR jacks for 8 A/D converters which I wired into my patch bay.

I'm patching the signal into my pre and then patching out of the pre into the Burl but there is no way to patch out of the Burl so I am assuming that the signal should be routed into Pro Tools via DigiLink?

I am able to see the signal going into my pre and I see a level in my A/D on the Burl but when I try to record it doesn't record anything at all. No signal gets through.

I can patch into the Pro Tools ins and record with no issues (without using the Burl A/D that is) and I can playback with no issues.

HD Native Thunbderbolt is selected as the playback and works correctly.

The Audio track input is A-1. I've also tried A-2 through A-8 as I have 8 A/D converters and I can see levels on the A/D converter for each channel but I can't record anything.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burl-1.jpg (72.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Burl-2.jpg (73.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Burl-3.jpg (74.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Burl-4.jpg (44.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Burl-5.jpg (42.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2016, 12:30 PM

Wait, so what exactly do you have? Do you have a 8x8x8 at all? Or a Burl connecting direct to Digilink--or is a Burl feeding the digital or analog inputs on an 8x8x8?

If the later.... then your digital inputs on the 8x8x8 are A9 and on (look at the IO>Input page)... it tells you all you need to know.

Looks like you might have a 8x8x8 and the Burl both connected to Digilink at the same time? If so are sure you are identifying the two different interfaces correctly when trying the inputs? (a common embarrassing mistake...)

If you have the Burl connected to Digilink directly then I have no idea what exact model Burl you have, or what Avid interface it is supposed to emulate. The documentation and Burl customer support is where I would start.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-17-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:45 PM

I have both an HD 8x8x8 and the Burl MS going into the HD Native Thunderbolt box via Digilink. The Burl is not feeding the 8x8x8 via AES/digital inputs in any way.

The Burl Mothership A/D only has the XLR input jacks on it and a Digilink interface.

Attached is a Burl screenshot for setting up inputs. They are not digital.

So I can't figure out how I get the signal to flow from the Burl into my computer via Digilink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burl I:O.jpg (88.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2016, 02:11 PM

I would run Digitest (no I'm not sure how Burl actually handle that, but others might, but it might give a clue).

I generally like to simplify HD setups where possible when troubleshooting, like unplug all other Digilink connections and use just one interface box. But Pro Tools won't work without an output, I can't remember what HD does if you try that.

I would default the IO. Double/triple check you really have the interface boxes numbered/identified correctly. Try all the inputs that IO box is showing, every last one.

I'm still not sure exactly what model Burl you have, but make sure you are going into the first Digilink connection on it.

Still stuck contact Burl support.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:52 PM

Thanks.

I will run Digitest.

i have this:
http://vintageking.com/burl-audio-b8...-bmb1-digilink

with two BAD4 cards (which equals 8 A/D converters) and 1 BDA8 card (8 D/A converters).

Since I have D/A as well on the Burl then I am guessing I can remove my 8x8x8 HD interface and try just the Burl interface? If I can get my monitors to playback audio then that should be a step in the right direction.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlherbe View Post
Thanks.

I will run Digitest.

i have this:
http://vintageking.com/burl-audio-b8...-bmb1-digilink

with two BAD4 cards (which equals 8 A/D converters) and 1 BDA8 card (8 D/A converters).

Since I have D/A as well on the Burl then I am guessing I can remove my 8x8x8 HD interface and try just the Burl interface? If I can get my monitors to playback audio then that should be a step in the right direction.
Absolutely and that is exactly what I'd try to do. This could be the smallest oversight or obvious thing and only Burl or somebody familiar with that box might know.