Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Default Hardware Errors...Still

Hey all,

I got my Mobile Pre with Pro Tools SE last month and began playing around with it, and have had much of the same issues others have had who are on here. I constantly get the HW Buffer error message and have switched from Recording to Mixing in Preferences and that doesn't seem to help. I also have applied the latest patch that was released on 1/31/11 and it was better for a little bit, but now I'm back to where my problem began. I can record for about a minute, maybe a little more or less depending on if I'm using a software instrument or my acoustic. Any ideas out there? I've been meaning to buy some more RAM (currently running 1.5), but my machine maxes out at 2GB. Running the latest version of OS X and have a 1.88 GHz Intel duo processor. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Avid

Default Re: Hardware Errors...Still

Do you have the option to try a second hard drive for saving your session folder? Could you also post a full system specification from Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info and the specific error message(s) that you are receiving.

Thanks,
Tim A
Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Here is my hardware info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.2f10
Serial Number (system): W86152EYVJ0
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB90DE39
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I do have an external hard drive that I use for my Time Machine backups that I made 2 partitions on so one partition is a backup and the other is just stuff.

As far as specific errors go, I get the CPU Overload HW buffer error, not the DAE07 error. Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Avid

We have been looking at this issue, but at the moment cannot reproduce on the same model of MacBook (although it does have 2GB RAM). Can you please provide specific steps as to how you reproduce the problem on your system (which template, demo song, etc).

Also, are you running any applications at the same time as Pro Tools SE?

Thanks,
Tim A
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM

It might be too early to say this, but I think the issue was the hard drive. I just recorded for a few minutes to my external and no errors. So yay so far! I'd get the error when I'd create a new project, add both audio and MIDI tracks, and record. I could record for about 45 seconds to a minute before the clipping noise would start and then the CPU HW Buffer error would occur. Also, I always close every other app, even if it's as quiet as Firefox, I know Pro Tools can be a resources hog. ProTools is the only thing running. I'll check back in if I still have issues, but maybe this was the issue all along.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Avid

I am pleased to hear that this issue appears to have been resolved. Pro Tools SE can use a significant amount of a machines resources so closing unused applications is certainly a help.