Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 AM

Default Controlling Pro Tools With Motif XS

Howdy, folks. I'm asking this question over on the Motifator forum as well, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here.

I'm trying to control plug-in parameters in Pro Tools from my Motif XS. I realize that Yamaha doesn't support Pro Tools "officially", but MIDI is still MIDI, so I'm hoping there's a way.

I've had limited success using the "learn" feature in the Xpand! plug-in, but there are some knobs that Pro Tools can't see. Also, when I try to assign a fader to a parameter, it works fine until I try to assign another fader to another parameter -- then the plug-in forgets the first fader assignment. So it's pretty frustrating.

Is there any way to find out which MIDI CCs are controlled by each knob/fader? Of course these values will change with the "Selected Part Control" and "Multi Part Control" buttons. On a similar note, can I assign a MIDI CC to a knob/fader?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Controlling Pro Tools With Motif XS

My understanding on this is that the miDI learn function is for use with "MIDI controller Surfaces" (like HUI or Command 8) as opposed to devices that simply output MIDIcc data. Some devices can emulate HUI or other controllers formats.. Maybe the Motif??

Your other option is to manually assign cc lanes based on what the motif outputs and what the standard MIDI implementation is for a given plugin. Hopefully, your motif would allow you to assign which cc is controlled by whatever fader or knob etc that you want to use, because the plugin cc implementation is fixed...

It is not an ideal situation and definitely would be good for Digi to provide some "meta" level control over incoming cc data that would allow any MIDI cc hardware to be used as a "MIDI Controller Surface"
Old 07-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Thanks, flommer.

The Motif XS manual is unhelpful with regards to assigning MIDI CC output to the various knobs and faders. If there's a way to do it, Yamaha isn't forthcoming...so far. I don't think the Motif subscribes to the HUI protocol, but it's interesting that they support every major DAW except Pro Tools.

I checked out an Axiom Pro at the local Guitar Center today. It seems like a pretty complete control surface, but the keyboard quality is lacking. As a keyboard player, it's not very inspirational to play, where the Motif XS and other high-end synths (Roland Fantom G, Korg M3) just feel better.

I'll keep trying to get some info from Yamaha.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:01 AM

Success! It turns out that you can assign specific CCs on the Motif XS in MASTER mode. A guy from Yamaha (Bad_Mister) helped me out on this. Once you set up the Motif XS properly, you have to set up each Pro Tools plug-in, then save the session as a template.

Here's a link to the thread where Bad_Mister explains it:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/f...444633/#459247

There is something I don't understand, though. For some reason it's not enough to save your effect settings -- you have to save the session as a template, or it won't remember which CCs you've put in place. I tried opening up a brand new session, opening the plug-in, and importing my plug-in settings, but no dice. Somehow the ability to remember those CCs is linked to saving the session itself. A bit odd, but I can work with it. Maybe that's a bug?

Anywho, I hope this helps somebody using the Motif XS with Pro Tools.