Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 on Windows

How are you all fairing with 2019.5 on Windows? It seems all posts I’ve seen thus far have been from Mac users.

Just installed myself on Windows 10 Pro and will dive in today before reporting back.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 on Windows

Continuous playback doesn’t seem to work all the time. Still get audio glitches adding or removing some plugs. If I minimise PT it gets stuck to the taskbar. You have to hover over and right click and choose restore.
To be honest I see no improvement over 2018.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 02:37 PM

Video playback is still hopeless on Windows and has been for quite some time. Sluggish playback on internal video window or BM decklink; always many Video engine has stopped errors, etc. Worked perfectly in PT 11. Still asks for Quicktime install, unbelievable. All that rant about not stopping while playing, yet film does not work as is should and does in other DAWs like Nuendo & without the gobbledgook around Quicktime, codecs etc. Yes, MFX, sure, but still problematic. Other DAWs just load up the .mp4 or whatever & get on with it.
MacPro 7,1 Big Sur 11.2. 16 core, 2TB, 192GB, Vega II 32GB. OWC Thunderbay 6, RME UFX+, UAD-2 quad PCIe, Decklink MiniMon 4k, Sonnet M.2 4x4. Dell U3419W & BenQ SW2700PT. FaderPort 16, Komplete Kontrol S61, Nuendo, Wavelab, Pro Tools Ultimate, Logic, Ableton Live. FinalCutPro, Resolve Studio.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 PM

2019.5 working here and its got some minor quirks, but having said that, performance is mostly amazing I'm running sessions at a 64 buffer that never would have run before. Last version(at 64 buffer) would stop and throw an error if I tried to open or instantiate Ozone 8(not a single stop or error since installing. Plus, the System Usage meter shows essentially no change between the 64 buffer and the 1024 buffer(so it seems they have done some serious work on stability)

Now to the quirks I've had:
1-twice(so far) a session has opened but would not play(close and re-open PT solved it both times)
2-last night, I was working on a session and doing some Elastic Audio edits and the audio LOOKED like I moved it, but sounded like I didn't. I quit for the day and tried again today and it worked fine.
3-twice(so far out of a dozen times) I booted(from everything off) and once Windows opened, Pro Tools opened itself, but without the startup window(but worked fine).

None of these issues is a show-stopper for me, but might be a big deal for others(especially those with clients in the room). Should you try it? I give the same answer I give with any update; absolutely, try it, but have a backup plan!!!!! I cloned my system drive(with PT 2018.10), installed the cloned drive and installed 2019.5 on that. If things go sour, I swap back to the old drive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 AM

It's running well for me on Win 10. Overall playback is smoother and PT itself feels snappier. Plugins seem to load a little faster and rarely glitch playback.

I had one issue where PT wouldn't open just after I installed it, but refreshing my playback settings seemed to do the trick.

System Details
Old 06-07-2019, 07:09 AM

Just installed it (2019.5 Ultimate) last night to replace 12.4 HD. Everything seems just fine, even though I haven’t yet had the opportunity to give it a good shakedown.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHollow View Post
How are you all fairing with 2019.5 on Windows? It seems all posts I’ve seen thus far have been from Mac users.

Just installed myself on Windows 10 Pro and will dive in today before reporting back.
Runs great.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-07-2019, 07:37 AM

All good on the Western Front (LA). The playback issues I was having were related to a card not seated in the Computer. Once I pushed it in, all good. Overall, I've had no problems on the Windows platform and 2019.5.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Runs great.
Less filling!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-09-2019, 10:10 PM

At what sample rate are you guys running?
Are you using alot of live/realtime Virtual Instruments?
Live meaning not froozen or bounced.