Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 AM

Default Windows 10 with PT 2019 strange behavior

Hi Ladies and Gents, wonder if you could please help me out .... been using Pro Tools for some years now basically to record parts / demos etc. then forward them on to the bigger recording houses to mix / master.
I have been using the M Box Pro 2 with Windows 7 Pro and Pro Tools 12.6 for a long time on a stable machine that I put together some years back. I have posted a SANDRA report some time back and everything seemed to be ok. At the time as my PCs Motherboard will only take 8Gb I thought I would run into some problems as the suggested memory for Pro Tools 12.6 was 16Gb but fortunately It was fine, ok I did run into some initial problems but as always, I managed a work around, any way long story short. I decided to update to Windows 10 Pro and Pro Tools 2019.6, but before doing so I searched through the DUC to see if there were any known issues of which there were a few so I took some notes to use if I ran into any probs. Anyway, as always, I followed the DUC and AVID Windows 10 optimization guide to the letter before starting
• Loaded Pro Tools 2019.6
• Once opened I immediately noticed that a blank session was using 20% of memory
• Opened a session that was completed using PT 12.6, memory bar was ok probably because a lot of the tracks were frozen.
• Noticed when recording at 64 buffer getting heavy unusual CPU spikes
• Tried the Task Manager approach and assigned the Priority and Affinity settings to high and just to use two of the four CPU with no joy as this didn’t seem to have any effect.
• So, I deleted Pro Tools 2019.6 plus anything Avid related i.e. ILok, all Air Effects plus instruments so nothing was left. The only thing I did leave was all third-party plugins which have all been updated namely Miroslov Strings 2, Amplitube 4, T racks, Superior Drummer 2.
• Reloaded Pro Tools 2019.6 plus all associated software again, reloaded PT and still noticed the 20% memory usage however this cured the CPU spikes.
• Started a new session and all was fine until I tried to use Miroslov Strings which chewed up nearly all memory, so I altered the Disk Cashe to suit and managed to record what I needed to. Then froze it.
• Started a new session this time just using Miroslov and noticed 80% of memory nearly in use just by loading one track. Any how I can get around this.
• Left it until this morning fired up Pro Tools and immediately got the Blue Screen stop code UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP when it was loading, never experienced this before.
• Tried loading PT 2019 again managed to eventually get it open but now it just quits randomly and goes back to the Desk Top.
Ok I have an old PC that does not compete with a lot of systems now, plus I could just roll back to Windows 7 (which I may have to do), and as I was using PT 12.6 with virtually no major issues as I could load all my Memory / CPU intensive plug inns at the same time and not get any issues I thought it would have been ok. I Know that 16Gb is the norm nowadays but as PT 12.6 ran ok with 8Gb I thought maybe Windows 10 and PT 2019 would be the same.

PC SPEC
• Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz Processor
• Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler
• Asus Rampage Intel X48 DDR2 Motherboard (X48 Chipset)
• Corsair Dominator 8Gb (4 x 2 Gb strips) 1066Mhz Memory
• ATI 4850 512Mb GDDR3 Graphics Card
• Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb SSD (Solid state hard drive)
• Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb SSD (Solid state hard drive)
• Pioneer 20x DVD ± RW Dual Layer Rewriter
• Corsair TX 750W Power Supply
• SIIG 2 Port Firewire Card
• Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Any help would greatly be appreciated ….Cheers
Old 07-31-2019, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Windows 10 with PT 2019 strange behavior

Core 2 Quad? Avid says i5 minimum, i7 preferred.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 PM

CPU is not the current issue, memory is.

Make sure disk cache is set to standard.Make sure no other apps are running, web browsers etc. Uninstall Avid Link and the Cloud Collaboration and anything else that is running you don't need.

VI plugins you are using are likely memory pigs... and that is what you are leaving in place... so there should be no surprise here.

You can try using less plugins, identifying which VIs are causing issues by trial and error, removing all the third party .aaxplugin files, trying with new empty sessions and just doing less stuff. Maybe tuning plugins to stream samples vs. preload if they support that. Life is short, you really want to waste your time trying stuff on such an underconfig machine?

Otherwise get a machine that has at least 16 GB memory. What the old underpowered CPU tells you is you need a new computer anyhow even if memory was not the current issue.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the response guys ...done all the optimizations suggested even deleted all the memory pigs still no joy... yeah I pretty much new I was asking too much of my old system. Thing is I was with Windows 7 and PT 12.6 for ages I could run all the memory intensive Plug Inns with no probs, everynow and again you would have small issue which you could fix. I actually completed about 6 albums with that setup, I just fired up the computer one morning and all my USBs didnt work so I took the PC to a friend who was going to reinstall windows 7 Pro again for me but then said try Windows 10 so I thought id give it a go. At first Pro Tools actually worked apart from the over use of memory issue upon loading. I have a deadline soon for another album so for now im going to rip everthing out and start with a fresh with a Windows 7 Pro install and PT 12.6 to hopefully get the album done then think about raiding my piggy bank yet again.
Many thanks guys

Cheers
Steve
TEN / SIGNAL RED
UK

Last edited by Lydian@sharp11; 08-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:19 PM

One other thing to look at if you still have to 2019 config up and running would be to see if your VI changed the way its pulling data from storage. I know on EW's play engine and NI Kontakt there are settings to set how much of your VI is loaded in to RAM and how much is streamed from disk. Maybe this is where the extra load in both memory and CPU is coming from?
Old 08-05-2019, 01:55 AM

In my PT install on W10 , VI presets ended up on OneDrive, a "feature" in W10. BIG problems. Check if yours is.

Wrestled OneDrive in its settings until things worked better.

Will redo PT & Plugs installation from scratch but first uninstall OneDrive. TBD after summer holidays.

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk