Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 PM

Default Pro Tools not initializing Focusrite USB AISO

Done everything on every post I could find. Still the same error msg. No matter what I do Pro Tools will not initialize the Focusrite USB ASIO. It worked great last week. Moved computer and now I can't get it to initialize. Deleted all Focusrite programs and reinstalled the drivers over and over again. Changed the buffer sizes over and over again to match both. Pro Tools freezes and closes.
Using Window 10 with 18i20 Focusrite. I did try to hook up a Persons Studiolive series 3 Board but couldn't get it to work so back to the Focusrite and nothing but problems.... I hope someone can guide me. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not initializing Focusrite USB AISO

I'm using Pro Tools 11
Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 PM

The first most important detail is to be sure that you're not using the Focusrite interface as your default Windows audio device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-05-2019, 03:58 AM

Given the guidance: "The first most important detail is to be sure that you're not using the Focusrite interface as your default Windows audio device. "

I'm running nearly the same setup;
HP tower WIN10 x 64 // Intel Core i5 // PT 11.2 // Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

I'm having the exact same problem as Ode Man WITH the Default configuration annotated to omit Focusrite ASIO (attached screen capture) per Top Jimmy's direction.

I did notice though, I received automatic Microsoft updates on my computer. Prior to those Microsoft updates, the PT 11 ran perfectly fine.

My conclusion is that I would need to uninstall one or more of the Microsoft updates, and observe how Pro Tools reacts.

I guess with my best effort to get ProTools running consistently I still fail (over and over again)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN Sound Config- Display Audio Default.JPG (36.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:05 AM

Go into Control Panel/Sounds, and make the onboard audio device the Default Playback Device. If Windows grabs your PT interface, Pro Tools can’t initialize it, because it doesn’t like to share. Also make sure USB power management is disabled. Windows updates tend to reset that feature.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Progression's screenshot shows the f'rite driver is loaded and the interface is recognized. So the problem for isn't there.( i note that P's monitor is selected as the default audio out which is what windows does automatically when you hook up a HDMI. I would recommend first disable that HDMI as an audio output. Then set the speakers as the default audio device)

I am guessing the op long since fixed their issue.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:52 AM

Check your firewire driver, maybe uninstall it and re-install. My partner had heaps of issues with win10 and focusrite via firewire. I think he had to go back to a legacy firewire driver.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:27 PM

So I know this post is long dead and the parties involved have likely moved on. But I just ran into this issue on a Windows 10, trying to use a 3rd Gen Scarlett 18i20 with Pro Tools 11.3.1

Opening some sessions sent to me from a Mac would cause the error mentioned in OP to happen. Also had an odd effect where it happened no matter what session I opened. Very frustrating. I had to fully uninstall then reinstall the focusrite drivers to get it to come back.

The only thing I found that got it to work, was to open the session sent to me from a Mac, and BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE I cleared output IO and hit default, then did the same to Input IO. They both looked exactly the same before and after, but it worked. The issue went away. I don't know why, but it worked. I spent two days on this and even reset my PC twice. So hopefully this works for someone else out there who is ready to bust out a sledge.

Last edited by codynstuff; 12-28-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Hit enter too early