Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Bouncing all tracks to separate wave files?

How, running ProTools 7.4 LE in a mastering suite & foley studio on OSX.

We recorded many tracks each with multiple takes (on loop recording) for sound effects.

Unfortunately only have ProTools in this studio, no other commercial software (try convincing someone you're working with to use a free DAW like Ardour or Audacity since it was only for the purpose of recording for some fun times..).

Anyway, using Audition at home, and importing the original WAVE files (I should point out we did our sound effects recording in time to the video) and inserting with BWF timestamp doesn't really line it up to the video like I hoped.

So anyway, I need to bounce all the tracks from start to finish (what a waste of disk space!) without mixing them down, so I can import them into other software for processing, editing, master, etc.

Basically I want to pad the existing recorded wave files with silence for the duration until they start in the protools session.

What's the best way to do this?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Bouncing all tracks to separate wave files?

Hello Athiril:

I don't follow quite everything in your post, but I think you want to flatten the contents of a track in Pro Tools. No matter how dense the editing, fades, etc., you can "consolidate" in Pro Tools via the opt-shift-3 key command. This turns your selection into a new audio file, with one file per track if your selection is multitrack. Note that muted regions are not heard in the resulting file (correct behavior), and also note that unless you duplicate the playlist you can't go back to your original edit.

But, you won't get the underlying playlists of your loop record doing this. Only the active playlist.

I use this command to make final deliverables (mainly because crippleware PTLE w/ CPTK doesn't have destructive punch!), and will then sort the audio files folder of the session in the Finder by "Date", which lets you quickly grab the files you want to deliver without searching.

Finally, you can buy an mBox micro for $250 and get right to work in Pro Tools on any computer. I recommend buying one as a way to avoid your current transfer problem.

Good luck,

Nathaniel Reichman
www.nathanielreichman.com
Old 05-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Bouncing all tracks to separate wave files?

Hey thanks, I'm a film student, so the $300+ here for a mBox is a waste of money better spent on things I actually need (like more chemicals or film :))

I think I'll just select the best takes and then flatten, sounds like it should work a charm.

We have a codemeter usb stick in this studio, but SSL Pro Convert only works on Windows..

I prefer to stick to software that doesn't try to lock you down into their system once you've used it (it's not as bad as FCP for this though which is horrendous).

They're also supposed to have Sequoia in this studio, no idea what happened to that.