Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Music scoring coming to Protools?

Just seen this news release http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...S&NewsID=15431

What do you think this means for scoring on ProTools?

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Music scoring coming to Protools?

If that the case, I'd love it. I mean if PT has all the midi features and specially scoring feature like other software, it would boost up the sale for the LE a lot.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't look for an integrated score editor built into PT for a good while.... Sibelius is not especially good at interpreting midi into legible form. Logic is actually much better at it. Sibelius was conceived to work in a very different way, though it has improved over the years at midi import. I would bet that any kind of integration is likely to start out as something like: "export midi to Sibelius PT edition". Still, it all potentially bodes well for both programs down the line. Keep the fingers crossed!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:50 AM

It would seem logical that the aquisition of Sibelius might mean the that Avid/Digi is attempting to be more competitive in the midi side of things by bringing scoring capabilities to Pro Tools/Pro Tools LE like thier competitors already have (Logic, DP, etc.). This will be nice if it happens, but personally, I'd like to see Avid/Digi add full Plug-In Delay Compensation to PT LE and improve the LE hardware (no more faulty power-harnesses on 002 series, ability for direct hardware monitoring in other softwares, better clock or Steady-Clock like software) and hardware connections (Word Clock i/o) before adding anymore midi capabilities. Also, it would be nice if Avid/Digi dropped the MPT bs, and just included 48track capability and full beat detective without charging $500 for bundled plug-ins that some of us don't need at all. Right now, PT LE is running as stable and effeciently as it ever has for me, which is awesome, but the lack of full automatic-plug-in-delay-compensation and being tied to a limited choice of hardware already has me stepping into competing software and it will be interesting to see how seriously Avid will take the Native market's demand. Other apps have thier own issues, but slowly adding basic midi features to PT LE doesn't do much to diminish growing disparity between PT LEs feature set and everyone elses, and, in fact, doing so in such a slow manner and even charging extra for basic competitive features will, in my mind, draw more attention to those now basic features that PT LE lacks. I love PT so I hope they'll bridge the gap.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 PM

i think it will happen, scoring has been a requested feature for some time and this is what will make it happen. although i think the scoring inside PT will be very limited and wont have the options for printing a full score a simple form of entering and reading the notation is all i would want anyway. im sure import/export between PT and sibelius will be the first thing to come just as they do between PT and Avid. they have anounced they will bundle the current software together. anyway exporting MIDI from sibelius and inporting into PT is working ok fine for now.

Avid and Digi must take native seriously now and they are smart so im sure it will happen. i think LE will evolve into a mid level solution now that they have MP to be bottom of the pack. but who knows what will change and when.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 PM

What happens with Native Instruments' Kontakt?

filosofem
Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
...a simple form of entering and reading the notation is all i would want anyway.
agreed. It would be nice to have a piano stave, a lyrics line, and a percussion line, where you could enter a lead sheet type of score, and chord changes, so you know what you're looking at when your arranging inside Protools (of course that may mean that lots of the electronic loops arrangers would have to learn how to read music to be usefull).
Quote:
...they have anounced they will bundle the current software together
Where did you read this? From what I read, I got the impression that they were just going to be selling through the Digi channels, and may explore integrating the various software tools (probably at an extra fee (can anyone say Music Production Toolkit v. 2?)).

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 AM

Where did i read it? the official press relese from digidesign.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...n=news_details
only academic at this point but the by-line
Quote:
Company to offer exclusive product bundles that combine award-winning Sibelius and Pro Tools Academic software and range of M-Audio products
and further down from Dave Lebolt
"Over time, we’ll also explore ways to integrate and optimize our respective toolsets so that customers can take advantage of powerful Sibelius features directly within Pro Tools. Working together, Sibelius and Digidesign can deliver an even wider variety of integrated products that will give our customers a cutting edge advantage when creating or learning about music."
Old 08-04-2006, 07:00 AM

I have to tell you that your wish for:

Quote:
...a simple form of entering and reading the notation is all i would want anyway.

agreed. It would be nice to have a piano stave, a lyrics line, and a percussion line, where you could enter a lead sheet type of score, and chord changes, so you know what you're looking at when your arranging inside Protools (of course that may mean that lots of the electronic loops arrangers would have to learn how to read music to be usefull).

...is not a "simple" request. The features listed above take a pretty advanced editor. To then be able to manipulate that data in a realtime sort of way like Logic does, on top of it is going to encompass a huge makeover for PT and Sibelius. I'm certainly not making excuses. Digi is LONG past due for a score editor, but I'd keep your expectations low for a while.

I also agree with the previous comment that suggests Digi take care of some of the glaring weaknesses in the product they already have before tackling such major changes. Obviously time and resources that could be taking care of delay compensation and other features that should be standard, are going to now be diverted to integrating Sibelius. Oh well...