Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 AM

Default PT 8.04cs2 Hangs next morning

Hi guys,

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I've been using PT 7.4 for about 2 years, no pproblems really. Then I upgraded to 8.0. To make a long story short, after a lot of headache I did get stable for the most part except for the every 4th time or so when the 003 hardware doesn't get recognized (maddening). But my real problem, and this just happened, was when launching PT's, it just started hanging and taking forever. This is NOT normal. For three years now, my PT has taken 15 seconds, in total, to launch AND retrieve a session, consistently, so I know what my baseline is. I really haven't changed anything, and I have 4 gig RAM, all my optimizations are good, separate recording drive, etc. I read about deletng the preference and DAE Pref folder and that worked, but then the next day it took 15 minutes to launch. I then unistalled and reinstalled 8.0 completely. It worked but then the next day, same problem. Since then every morning is the same thing: it takes 15+ minutes to launch. Then I quit, delete the preferences, etc. and it works fine, launches in 15 seconds. Then I shut down and next morning, same thing: it takes forever to load! Help! What is happening after shut down that is making it do this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Default Re: PT 8.04cs2 Hangs next morning

With no other info to go on, I suspect that either you have an internet connection and maybe got a virus or trojan or some other garbage, or maybe you have a thermal issue with either the cpu, or maybe a hard drive is on the way out. First thing to do is backup everything right away. Acronis True Image is worth its weight in gold and I would install it, and save an image of your system drive(save it to a spare external, or do a straight clone to a new drive). Then I would backup all your recording drive stuff(just right-click-drag to another drive and select COPY). Once you are all backed up, I would run a few things on your system like AVG anti-virus, Malewarebytes anti-malware and spybot Search&Destroy. Once they come back clean, you can uninstall them. If they cleaned something out, that's a step in a good direction. If they found nothing, check for things like windows auto-update, which should be off, as well as networking(should also be off until you are positive its not causing issues). If none of that helps, post a Sandra report as described here: Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-30-2011, 04:28 AM

None of the items you mentioned were an issue. I've tried deletng the preference, database and DAE Pref folders about 10x now. Ridiculous. Now even that's not helping anymore (it used to). I also swapped out and put a new, compatible, Monster Gold Plated Firewire Cable in. No change, still slow as heck. WHY???????

i also tried switching to other Firewire Ports on the 003 AND the computer as well. No change.

Could it be the 003 is going bad, it's about 3 years old. I can't imagine they only last that long. Is rthere another smart test I can perform to start ruling things out.

One more thing I should mention is the 003 light does not always blink and recognize upon boot up in the morning; 1/3 of the time it does, 2/3 of the time it doesn't and I have to shut it off and on 3 or 4 x beofre it "catches." I personally think this is a compatibility issue iwth PT8 from what I've read, plus I NEVER had this issue when I was on 7.4. Also, my set up is simple: I power on my 003 first (like they say) and then the computer.

PLEASE HELP.

Jim
Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 AM

I am having huge load issues with PT LE 8.0.4 and above on my Win Vista machine. It literraly takes over 30 minutes to launch now! After I've cleaned everything out and re-installed the first launch is over 1.5 hours!

I've got a thread started for this here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=297998
Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 AM

Hi all,

I broke down and paid $40 for a support call with Digi, and I got lucky - I got a guy who really knew his stuff technically. So, in addition to the above, I also ended up unistalling and reinstalling 8.03 and it almost made it until I launched and then 80% of the way through, it froze on "Creating DAE Objects" (for 6 hours). So I called teh support guy and after only 30 minutes, this guy DID get me stable, and here's how, I hope some of this works for you.

- With your 003 off, try just unplugging the cable for 10 seconds, yo may also want to try a different port when you put it back (I did)
- Changed the device driver for the IEEE 1394 from "Texas Instruments OCHI Compliant" to the other driver (browse and let me pick my own, don't let Windows pick it) "OHCI Compliant Host Controller" one (does NOT say Texas Instruments) - THIS WAS KEY in making PT's stop freezing
and as soon as we did this, PT launched fine
- Unistalled Cyberlink Power DVD program (don't even know how it got there, but he said there have been a lot of tech problems associated with this program and PT)
- In Windows, under DEP (Data Execution Prevention), remove any PT's/Digi itens and then add them back again.

That's it, and believe it ot not, it's freaking working like a charm (knock on wood). I then upgraded to 8.05 with a little bit of a rough ride as their drivers have to be installed separately (it's not part of the upgrade) AND they are actually the same drivers for 9.0 (NOT 9.0 2.65, just 9.0 - I verified this myself and with the tech guy).

I am now stable on 8.05 - it take 30 seconds to launch and the sessions are lightening fast. There is a God. I hope this helps someone.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFuge View Post
I am now stable on 8.05 - it take 30 seconds to launch and the sessions are lightening fast. There is a God. I hope this helps someone.
Did these steps also make it so that your 003 is recognized every time? That is one of the issues I'm having, where the 003 has to be shut off several times before the computer recognizes it.