Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Default hardware not found (sometimes?)

i use pro tools 6.1 on a windows based pc. sometimes pro tools works flawlessly while other times, (5 mins ago for instance) i start pro tools and it suddenly says, "hardware not found or not plugged in. please reconnect and press ok to continue"

THE [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ING HARDWARE IS CONNECTED AND PLUGGED IN INSIDE THE COMPUTER. there IS power going to the digi 001 on my desk shelf. i have done NOTHING to ANY cords or hardware inside my computer since the last time i've used pro tools.

someone please tell me what is going on because i'm ready to throw this damn computer out into traffic.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Re: hardware not found (sometimes?)

Well... for one, you are using 10 year old hardware and 6 year old software...

Next, why are you using 6.1 and not 6.4? You can't go any higher than 6.4 with the hardware that you have, but there were quite a few fixes in between the two.

I'm pretty sure the 001/6.1 still had the "digitest"? (it was a LONG time ago, and hard to remember ) Have you run it? what were the results?

Last, it's hard to troubleshoot when all we know about your system is "001 and 6.1". I know you are frustrated, but we can help you much better if you calm down a little and provide some more information.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 PM

As old as the 001 is you can still be productive with it, and the first thing I would do is update to v6.4 as suggested above.

If you go to the General Troubleshooting thread at the top and post a Sandra report it would be a good starting point for people to understand your system and help you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 PM

I have this problem from time to time, when my computer fails to recognise my external hard drive which (for some reason) has the digidesign databases folder installed to it.

It is annoying, but the only solution that one is to re-start the computer however many times it takes for the computer to recognise the external hard drive.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM

The Digidesign Database folder is installed automatically by Pro Tools on every drive connected to the computer.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM

Back to the OP, I would reseat the 001 PCI card.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 AM

Wink Re: hardware not found (sometimes?)

Guys, I had this problem for TWO weeks after upgrading to 8.0.4cs2, my eyes were crossing trying to find the solution and it took Digi two weeks to help me with the right answer. Unless it is truly a hardware failure issue where you have to buy a new 003 (or whatever), then this is the resolution, plain and simple. It is not a driver issue, not lack of digitally signed issue, don't mess with the advance bios (F8) when you boot up, don't touch the driver settings. The solution is power on and off in the right order - that's it. Here is the right order:

- Power on the 003 FIRST (this is the key), wait a few seconds, THEN power on the Computer.
- For shutting down: Do it in reverse order - Computer first, THEN the 003.

That's it! The reason is you need to get the 003 on first before Windows starts loading its drivers and running its routines so it recognizes the 003. It works every time. The above assumes only an 003 and a Computer (my example) - if you have more components (e.g., and external hard drive, etc.), go to the Documentation of PT Reference Guide, pg 31 for complete details. Here is an excerpt:

To ensure that the components of your

Pro Tools system communicate properly with

each other, you need to start them in a particular

order.

Jim
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFuge View Post
Guys, I had this problem for TWO weeks after upgrading to 8.0.4cs2, my eyes were crossing trying to find the solution and it took Digi two weeks to help me with the right answer. Unless it is truly a hardware failure issue where you have to buy a new 003 (or whatever), then this is the resolution, plain and simple. It is not a driver issue, not lack of digitally signed issue, don't mess with the advance bios (F8) when you boot up, don't touch the driver settings. The solution is power on and off in the right order - that's it. Here is the right order:

- Power on the 003 FIRST (this is the key), wait a few seconds, THEN power on the Computer.

That's it! The reason is you need to get the 003 on first before Windows starts loading its drivers and running its routines so it recognizes the 003. It works every time. The above assumes only an 003 and a Computer (my example) - if you have more components (e.g., and external hard drive, etc.), go to the Documentation of PT Reference Guide, pg 31 for complete details. Here is an excerpt:

order.

Jim
Why dredge up a thread that is over a year old? BTW, my entire rig is on a single power switch and works perfectly every time(now that I said that, it probably won't work today)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFuge View Post

order.

Jim
Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but this doesn't actually work for everyone. There is a driver issue with 8.0.4. It doesn't matter what order I turn things on, sometimes the 003 is recognized, sometimes it isn't. If it isn't, I can turn it on and off several times while the computer is running, and usually it will eventually work. If it doesn't work by the 5th time, I restart the computer, and usually it will work the first or second time after that.

Digi admitted there were driver issues in 8.0.4, and not all of them were resolved in the CS2 or the PT9 update.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 AM

Hi all,

I broke down and paid $40 for a support call with Digi, and I got lucky - I got a guy who really knew his stuff technically. So, in addition to the above, I also ended up unistalling and reinstalling 8.03 and it almost made it until I launched and then 80% of the way through, it froze on "Creating DAE Objects" (for 6 hours). So I called teh support guy and after only 30 minutes, this guy DID get me stable, and here's how, I hope some of this works for you.

- With your 003 off, try just unplugging the cable for 10 seconds, yo may also want to try a different port when you put it back (I did)
- Changed the device driver for the IEEE 1394 from "Texas Instruments OCHI Compliant" to the other driver (browse and let me pick my own, don't let Windows pick it) "OHCI Compliant Host Controller" one (does NOT say Texas Instruments) - THIS WAS KEY in making PT's stop freezing
and as soon as we did this, PT launched fine
- Unistalled Cyberlink Power DVD program (don't even know how it got there, but he said there have been a lot of tech problems associated with this program and PT)
- In Windows, under DEP (Data Execution Prevention), remove any PT's/Digi itens and then add them back again.

That's it, and believe it ot not, it's freaking working like a charm (knock on wood). I then upgraded to 8.05 with a little bit of a rough ride as their drivers have to be installed separately (it's not part of the upgrade) AND they are actually the same drivers for 9.0 (NOT 9.0 2.65, just 9.0 - I verified this myself and with the tech guy).

I am now stable on 8.05 - it take 30 seconds to launch and the sessions are lightening fast. There is a God. I hope this helps someone.