Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Default drive image restore

acknowledge that this is a digi forum, but do you guys prefer acronis or ghost for drive image backups?

i had a bad sector that prevented windows from loading and couldnt use the image i had even though it was created from a 500 GB drive with 44GB of data on it (os drive) and I was moving it to a new 80GB drive.

the size limitation disturbed me. i should be able to move an image as long as the image fits. i fixed it by putting the image on the 500GB drive and then doing a drive copy with western digital lifeguard tools.

any thoughts?
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Default Re: drive image restore

Hard to say, but I have been using Acronis TrueImage9 with solid success. Their version 10 had an issue with restoring from an image(it didn't work), but 9 has been just dandy, both with restoring an image, and straight disk cloning.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenk2k View Post
e.

the size limitation disturbed me. i should be able to move an image as long as the image fits. i fixed it by putting the image on the 500GB drive and then doing a drive copy with western digital lifeguard tools.

any thoughts?
Yep, that is not good. coming from an IT background Symantec is the most prevalent in use and I used it alot, Out of interest what s/w were you using?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 PM

My vote is for Acronis True Image!! Saved me a few times.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:03 PM

NG 14 is what i was using. It worked fine, but obviously I want an image of the O/S that I can rely on.

I've been trying to come up with some best practices for backing up, thinking backup O/S drive every monday, and keep a daily end of work day redundant back up of my pro tools sessions folder on a third drive, just in case.

thoughts?
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM

Acronis True Image Home vote here after using Ghost. albee is right, there were a few issues restoring from Windows in one version of Acronis, but booting from the Rescue CD always works.

I back up my OS nightly and my Audio Drive nightly, keeping the day before's image and deleting the two day's before image. I also back up my OS drive before any upgrade or update so I can go back to a working configuration if anything goes south.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 11-15-2009, 01:25 PM

I've been using Drive Image XML for sometime now. Saved me on numerous occasions over the last cpl of years. It's free too.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:16 PM

I use Acronis 9 but the latest version is installed on my server. My whole sense of backup security is based on this program and it has saved my butt many times.

Forget backups until you image. Image Image Image!!! USB drives 300-500 gig are cheap insurance when dealing with a weeks worth of installs and tweaks.

My 2 cents

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent