Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-20-2014, 06:32 PM

Default Boom !!!

Curios about others who use Boom & Xpand2. What plugins do you use for enhancing the Boom Sounds ???

EQ, Compression, etc. I ask because I often feel like they don't need anything. They sound so GOOD.

I end up using EQ, Compression, etc just to make the entire mix blend together.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Boom !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_TC_TC View Post
Curios about others who use Boom & Xpand2. What plugins do you use for enhancing the Boom Sounds ???

EQ, Compression, etc. I ask because I often feel like they don't need anything. They sound so GOOD.

I end up using EQ, Compression, etc just to make the entire mix blend together.
Well, as always its a matter of taste, as well as what type of sound you're going for. Often I will create audio tracks of just certain parts of a Boom loop...kick, snare & toms, say, and then treat them separately. I like the channel strip that comes with PT for Kick and Toms. So, I get the Boom sequence as I want it, I'll solo the Kick track and bounce it to an audio track, and rinse and repeat for snare and toms. Then, I'll mute the ones in Boom I made audio tracks of, and then let the other parts just play normally in Boom along with the audio tracks I bounced. So, I might use Channel strip on the kick and toms, something else on the snare, and then something like Camel Phat on the Boom track itself for the other stuff to get some creative fx going.

There's no one right answer...but be creative!!

Also, I find using a kick or snare from Boom as a second Kick or snare to enhance a drum part from another VI (ie Strike) can really add a lot of depth to the sound.

Main thing is to experiment and see what sounds good to you and what fits in the mix for whatever you're working on.

I agree with you...Boom does sound good...and I think is often overlooked by a lot folks. With a little effort, you can make it sound great for the right tracks.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 AM

Thanks DonaldM. That's very similar to what I do. Except that I use Waves Plugins.

I have a habit of bouncing the parts I like from different Boom Kits to wave file & mix them as I would normally in my preferred Mix Template with each drum part on its own Track.

I seldom use the entire Drum Kit on one Track and would like to have some opinions or suggestions about leaving the entire Kit on one track as I have seen on some BOOM Videos.

Like you, I really like to use 2 Kicks with different timbres & snares & toms too.

BOOM has so many Wonderful Sounds !!!

The Channel Strip & Kick from another VI sound like Excellent ideas.

I'd like to start keeping them Midi instead of converting them to Wave in order to save CPU power. Any suggestions on that ???

Also, when you use Midi instead of Wave or Audio, do you use the Effects Plugins on the Aux Track just as you normally would on an Audio Wave Track ???

I'm just curious because that's what I do & often wonder if I should do something different. I've always treated Midi Tracks just like I would Audio Tracks. Especially on Synth Tracks.

Thanks again for sharing your insights.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
BOOM has so many Wonderful Sounds !!!

The Channel Strip & Kick from another VI sound like Excellent ideas.

I'd like to start keeping them Midi instead of converting them to Wave in order to save CPU power. Any suggestions on that ???
Well, you can always save he MIDI track for any drum loop you create for use in another project. But if you mean save the drum part with the VI on an instrument track, you might not be saving CPU power. You still have to have a VI open on an instrument track to play a MIDI track assigned to it, or MIDI notes directly on the instrument track. Converting to audio cuts all that out. Also, I find it easier to edit the part in audio if I quickly want to add a fill or remove a beat or something like that.

If you convert to audio, you also have the option of doing so with some of the fx included, which means you won't have to have any of those running in the session either, also saving on CPU.

Quote:
Also, when you use Midi instead of Wave or Audio, do you use the Effects Plugins on the Aux Track just as you normally would on an Audio Wave Track ???

I'm just curious because that's what I do & often wonder if I should do something different. I've always treated Midi Tracks just like I would Audio Tracks. Especially on Synth Tracks.

Thanks again for sharing your insights.
Yes, if I have a part playing on a VI on an instrument track I use the fx plugins on that just like I would on an audio track. Or, depending on the VI, you might have the option to route the audio of a part out to an AUX track. With some drum VI's for example (not Boom, though), you can send individual drum parts audio out to separate aux or audio tracks. So Kick on one track, snare another, etc. then you can process the part separately. I do that a lot with Reason via Rewire. If I'm using a drum kit from, say, Redrum, I can easily use Rewire to route the audio of each part of the kit to sep AUX tracks in PT and process as I wish. Or convert to audio and process...either way.

What I have found watching any number of tips and tricks videos from some of the pros, is that they almost always convert VI's to audio before doing fx and mix.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Donald M. Thank you for all that Great information. I finally got to read it. Sometimes when I look for a Forum, I don't always find it here on TapaTalk. MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-25-2014, 04:11 PM

In my 4th year of learning guitar, music theory, recording etc. I now have cobbled together enough tools. I need to spend 2015 learning to use well what I have.