Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Default changing ram in a MacPro 5,1

Watched a bunch of videos on changing the ram in a MacPro 5,1; should be easy right? Then why do they all say to slide out the processor tray and work on an anti-static surface? I'm not questioning the anti-static bit at all but for a single cpu machine why take the tray out? I mean - remove the side cover and pop the latches on the ram sticks (looks like there's enough room with the tray inside the case to pop them), remove the ram sticks, put the new ones in seating them down all the way. Install side cover. Done.

Yes I do have an anti-static wrist strap and a way to ground it (it's actually an outlet tester with a ground strap hookup) so I'm okay there. And I have an anti-static mat with grounding capability as well so it's not like I don't have the proper tools. It's just why complicate things if I don't have to?

What's even bringing this up is the 5,1 I just got came with 32 gig ram (4 slots used) and I've seen some things where memory speed/access slows down when all four slots are filled due to triple channel. But really - how much would the speed drop even be? Enough to be noticeable in PT?

QAPLA!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Default Re: changing ram in a MacPro 5,1

Are you sure the RAM is running in triple channel with 4 slots filled? Look in the Memory tab in CPU-Z to see the mode the RAM is operating. I would think that the more memory you have, the better.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Are you sure the RAM is running in triple channel with 4 slots filled? Look in the Memory tab in CPU-Z to see the mode the RAM is operating. I would think that the more memory you have, the better.
There's been evidence that running with all 4 slots filled in a triple channel machine will actually run slower than if just the first three ram slots are filled. Normally the more the merrier with regards to ram but not necessarily in this case. 4 slots filled you lose the advantage of triple channel operation. Even Apple says not to fill all four slots if you want make full use of triple channel operation. See this link: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...f=20&t=1125114
and this one: http://barefeats.com/nehal02.html
Yes it's about a 2009 Nehalem but the 2010/2012 are the same design for the most part.

QAPLA!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 PM

I misunderstood your initial post. I though you were saying you were operating in triple channel mode with 4 sticks installed. Why don't you try some tests with 3 sticks in triple channel mode and compare the results to using 4 sticks. Passmark performance test has some RAM tests, there are probably some other ones out there as well.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I misunderstood your initial post. I though you were saying you were operating in triple channel mode with 4 sticks installed. Why don't you try some tests with 3 sticks in triple channel mode and compare the results to using 4 sticks. Passmark performance test has some RAM tests, there are probably some other ones out there as well.
As I wrote in my reply to you I know there are performance hits with four ram sticks versus just 3. You're missing why I started this thread and that is: should I really need to remove the cpu tray to put ram in the machine? Looks like there's enough room to do the job with the tray still in the case. The triple channel versus four ram sticks is just a sideshow if you will.

QAPLA!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Watched a bunch of videos on changing the ram in a MacPro 5,1; should be easy right? Then why do they all say to slide out the processor tray and work on an anti-static surface? I'm not questioning the anti-static bit at all but for a single cpu machine why take the tray out? I mean - remove the side cover and pop the latches on the ram sticks (looks like there's enough room with the tray inside the case to pop them), remove the ram sticks, put the new ones in seating them down all the way. Install side cover. Done.
Why is this even a thing? Removing and replacing the tray adds about ten seconds to the operation. Why NOT take the tray out?

I must be missing something here….
Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Why is this even a thing? Removing and replacing the tray adds about ten seconds to the operation. Why NOT take the tray out?

I must be missing something here….
Actually it adds a lot more in time. Not to mention the added work space. I'm a big fan of not complicating things when you don't have to and removing the processor tray is one of those things. Apple made it so bleeping easy to upgrade everything else in a 5,1 MacPro why go to this extra step?

QAPLA!
Old 10-19-2017, 12:06 AM

I have never removed the processor tray, but if you're inexperienced in swapping ram sticks, it is just so much easier when you have more room to operate
Old 10-19-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have never removed the processor tray, but if you're inexperienced in swapping ram sticks, it is just so much easier when you have more room to operate
I've swapped out enough ram sticks in enough different machines to see that the way it is in the MacPro is like heaven. No funky tools needed - just an anti-static wrist strap and I'm good to go. Not like my old 17 inch Powerbook G4 - remove a bottom cover and then find the right screwdriver to remove a shield over the ram. Removed the first of three screws no problem and then proceeded to strip out the heads on the other two. Ended up taking a knife to the shield and just cutting it off. When I reattached it I just used the one screw.

QAPLA!