Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Look into NUAGE

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM

Avid have spent all this time "inventing" their incredible "new" internet sharing technology for collaborating online . . . which still does not allow an audio stream between two remote systems.

The forum for it has the following statistics:
Cloud Collaboration Forum Link:
The "sticky" at the top of the forum has had 387 views total.
There are 33 threads.
There are 371 posts.

Now compare that to this thread we've all been contributing to for years - trying to get a simple driver written for our control surfaces.

There have been 2,030 replies spanning 204 pages to date.
There have been 554,079 views of this thread.

That's well over half a million !

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize what is the more important customer priority.
C'mon Avid . . . use your brain. Someone at the company must still have a functioning cortex, surely.

Let's get our Pro Controls and Control|24s functioning too.

N.B. Since making this post 5 days ago - an additional 40 DUC users have viewed the Cloud Collab sticky . . . while an additional 3,124 DUC users have viewed this thread.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 04-21-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 05-05-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Avid have spent all this time "inventing" their incredible "new" internet sharing technology for collaborating online . . . which still does not allow an audio stream between two remote systems.

The forum for it has the following statistics:
Cloud Collaboration Forum Link:
The "sticky" at the top of the forum has had 387 views total.
There are 33 threads.
There are 371 posts.

Now compare that to this thread we've all been contributing to for years - trying to get a simple driver written for our control surfaces.

There have been 2,030 replies spanning 204 pages to date.
There have been 554,079 views of this thread.

That's well over half a million !

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize what is the more important customer priority.
C'mon Avid . . . use your brain. Someone at the company must still have a functioning cortex, surely.

Let's get our Pro Controls and Control|24s functioning too.

N.B. Since making this post 5 days ago - an additional 40 DUC users have viewed the Cloud Collab sticky . . . while an additional 3,124 DUC users have viewed this thread.
Avid doesn't care one bit about this. I wonder who the genius was who thought bricking these controllers was a good idea.
There must be someone out there that can get these rigs running...
Old 05-09-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsman View Post
Every now and then, a company will come up with a product that is exceptional in some way, and if, sixteen years later, that product continues to be exceptional, arguably the smart thing for that company to do might be to make the most of the fact - it's something to be proud of!. To have created a product that is still in widespread use long after the rest of the field has faded speaks volumes, and conveys a kind of message that conventional marketing struggles to. Longevity is a rare and beautiful thing in digital audio technology for obvious reasons: the dramatic improvements in functionality and performance of new gear soon makes the previous generation obsolete. I would argue that ProControl is one of the exceptions to the above, perhaps for the following reasons:

- The job description for a DAW control surface hasn't changed that much in sixteen years, so ProControl is as functional today as it was in 1998, or at least would be, given compatible drivers. Offhand, I can't think of any aspect of it that could be said to be obsolete.

- In comparison to functionally comparable, currently shipping products, ProControl is built like a tank, with a metal case, "proper" buttons, alphanumeric displays that won't fade after a few years, and many user-serviceable parts.

- Visually, its form follows function, not fashion - it still looks professional, understated and classy.

- A whole bunch of people seem really keen to keep using it.

So it seems to me, naively, that it might well be worth considering restoring at least basic support for ProControl, on the grounds that the continuing presence of a ubiquitous, dependable and long-serving product - albeit an inherited one - makes a positive contribution to the brand image and reputation of the company that made it.

And of course it would make us happy too!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hi everyone,

We strive to support hardware and software products as long as possible. Control|24 enjoyed one of the longer technology lifespans, having been released over 12 years ago. This product is even older than Pro Tools|HD, Mbox, and 002, which are also unsupported with Pro Tools 11.

As with all technology products, there comes a time when a decision needs to be made to dedicate resources to maintain it or to invest in new innovations. For each Avid control surface there are individual personality files and they are complex—you can see this manifest itself in the deep control you get with Pro Tools. As Pro Tools 11 was re-written from the ground up with 64-bit code, all the personality documents for each controller needed to be re-written, which is a massive undertaking. We made efforts in advance of Pro Tools 11 to communicate with our customers the anticipated hardware compatibility, but at the end of the day the resources to support this legacy product were too high.

To answer the question about why we don't outsource the work to someone else or release it as open source code, this is not our business model and a strategic change like that would require a lot of resources that are focused on other projects. Additionally, for a developer to take in this work, they would require a great deal of documentation usually associated with an SKD (software development kit) for the controller, which is not available.

I hope this helps clarify our position.

Regards,
Tony
PT11 was NOT written from the ground up. I can't believe you wrote that.
There are a number of glitchy things in PT11 that have been around since PT7. The personality documents for each controller needed to be re-compiled not re-written.
I want to use PT12 that I purchased but I cannot as there's nothing to replace my Pro Control.
Please re-compile the source code for these controllers and let them into the wild, liability problem solved.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 PM

Since making my post above a month ago - an additional 161 DUC users have viewed the Cloud Collab sticky . . . while an additional 23,454 DUC users have viewed this thread.

That's the interest comparison from Avid customers.

Does that absolute fact interest anyone in Avid's marketing division ?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM

All I can tell Tony is, we all know how cash strapped Avid is. Wouldn't you want another revenue stream. How much money would it take to hire someone to crank out the modification to the code to allow these surfaces to work with PT11 and beyond? No way its that much!

I personally would pay Avid $500, you can sell the Controller License and even put in on an iLok. I'm ready to give you my money! I'll wire it to you today if you'll agree. Heck, I'd probably fly to your location and give you cash if you'd aggree!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 AM

There is obviously a market for these units, but I have been looking at an S3 Dock combo....and there is so much more depth the newer controllers offer.....

And I loved my pro control......and wanted a DCommand...but by the time I got the cash raised I changed my mind .....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 AM

It's such intelligent design from Avid that the channel meters on the S3 are on the left side of the fader but in the Pro Tools Mix Window they are on the right. To make matters worse, the meters are equidistant between the faders, so in the middle of the console you don't know which meter applies to which fader. Logic would dictate the one to the right, but no - it's the other one.

Well done Avid.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 05-19-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 AM

Well I didn't say perfect nor couldn't be improved upon....

I said there is a depth there that my Pro Control didn't have....

And yes I would have preferred a meter bridge
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.