Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Ssl nucleus and pt9

Has anyone succesfully implemented a ssl nucleus with pt 9?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Ssl nucleus and pt9

SSL showed me a Nucleus controlling Pro Tools at Musikmesse earlier this year. (don't know if it was used as interface or not)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM

I can't imagine a lot of people using a Nucleus for the sole fact that it is extremely expensive for what you get. I'm sure it sounds great... but it has such limited I/O for $5000+.

You could get an Artist Series, a Liquid Saffire 56 and 2 OctoPres for the same price and have far better integration and control of Pro Tools with all the I/O you could want.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM

I had two (!), returned both. Get the Artist series (or 003 if you don't have PT HD) instead. Both are way better choices for PT than the Nucleus. $5000 for a HUI controller is way too much.

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 05-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Ok, thanks. I will stick with the 003 for now. I've got my mind set on a studer 169
Old 05-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken View Post
I will stick with the 003 for now.
Good choice IMO. The 003 controller is far superior to the Nucleus.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:56 PM

SSL has pretty much acknowledged the first run(s) of the Nucleus have overheating problems and supposedly they're being reworked. So I'd stay away from them at the moment.

Granted for the money and what you get it's not a good deal to begin with. If going the small format console/controller route the SSL Matrix would be a better deal.

QAPLA!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 PM

... supposedly they're being reworked.

Ever heard the expression, "I live so far out in the country we don't get the Grand Ole Opry 'til Tuesday"?

Truck on over to Gearslutz and check out the Nucleus thread...

SSL stopped production of the Nucleus in early February while they addressed some heat issues and some problems with the packaging that was resulting in shipping damage.

SSL made some design changes that have supposedly resolved the issues.

I know of one poster who seems to have had problems even after the fixes, but I don't recall seeing anyone else having problems (but just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist).

But I have seen a very large number of complaints about the Avid (formerly Euphonix) Artist series products. That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of satisfied users.

"Worth" is a subjective thing. For me, recording is a hobby; I don't make any money off of it and I probably never will (but who knows). To me, the Nucleus is worth $5,000.00; YMMV.

If I could afford a Nucleus (and couldn't afford a C|24), I would buy one. It offers a feature set that would meet my needs at a price I consider to be fair and a good value.

I know there are guys out there who could pick up the phone and order a dozen SSL AWS 924's without even thinking about it twice, but for me $5,000.00 is a fairly substantial amount of money.

But just like with everything else, we all should determine what we need, then find a product that meets those needs at a price that makes it a good value and at a price we can afford...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
SSL stopped production of the Nucleus in early February while they addressed some heat issues and some problems with the packaging that was resulting in shipping damage.

SSL made some design changes that have supposedly resolved the issues.

I know of one poster who seems to have had problems even after the fixes, but I don't recall seeing anyone else having problems (but just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist).
Yep. That was me. Some changes they made are based on my suggestions, as I had been in close touch with SSL for three months. I have to say that their customer support is literally excelent. I might have just a bad luck with my first Nucleus and even with the replacement one (there were more annoying problems than just the heat in both units) so I'm sure there are many satisfied users.

However, I didn't want to comment the physical part of the device as it should be better by now, but I know how it works with PT via the HUI emulation. The HUI integration is fairly basic - you get faders, pans, send levels, solos, mutes, a very limited plug-in control and even more limited bus/I/O assignments. So if you want a good controller for PT, even the Command 8 will do better. For $5000 you get an all-in-one device, which is mainly a control surface, but the control surface part is the weakest one when used with PT. It's way better in controlling other DAWs that support the MCU protocol.

So, for someone who wants an all-in-one ITB solution with a small sound card, two good preamps, two bundled plug-ins and a control surface with faders for writing volume automation, the Nucleus might work for him. But it won't work for anyone who wants an advanced hands-on PT experience or higher (= more than 2+2) I/O count. Sure, there can be other I/O or preamps in the studio, but that will make those built-in functions of the Nucleus redundant and thus make its value lower.

IMO, of course.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
... supposedly they're being reworked.

Ever heard the expression, "I live so far out in the country we don't get the Grand Ole Opry 'til Tuesday"?

Truck on over to Gearslutz and check out the Nucleus thread...
I don't give a damn about Gearslutz - it's just one more forum with more noise than signal. Not a member there and don't care to be. They don't have anything that means anything to me.

QAPLA!