Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-09-2017, 01:58 PM

Default Do you really have to completely restart Pro Tools when connecting a MIDI controller?

I'm testing PT 12 on Windows 10 and I've found that if I do not have a MIDI controller connected at the time that PT opens, it will never detect it. Even if I have a controller connected, disconnect and then reconnect the same one, it will still not detect it.

I'm seeing this behavior with multiple controllers, USB ports and cables.

Is there any way to get PT to rescan MIDI controllers without having to restart the entire program? I've tried restarting the audio engine, unchecking/rechecking input devices, etc. Nothing seems to work.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Do you really have to completely restart Pro Tools when connecting a MIDI control

Its hit and miss here. I find the best solution is to plan ahead. Of course, if you use a fast SSD for a system drive, rebooting can take 30-35 seconds

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-09-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Do you really have to completely restart Pro Tools when connecting a MIDI control

I've never gotten it to work like that either. I don't think the handshake / oh happy day routine Pro Tools follows is plug n play. Always have to quit and launch Pro Tools again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Based on some research and feedback from other forums, it looks like this is typical Windows behavior. I guess Windows users are just accustomed to having to restart their DAW every time they plug a MIDI device in. This would drive me crazy, but whatever flips your wig.

I believe this concludes my brief PT-on-Windows experiment. Back to OS X!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:59 PM

With 2 of my midi controllers, they can be connected any time and will be available, and if not, just turning the keyboard off/on brings them on line. The 3rd controller I use is the Komplete Kontrol S49 and this one needs to be connected when I boot the machine. Since the only time I need the S49 is for self-recording(it gets placed in front of my preamp rack). That's why I said "hit or miss".

Old 07-10-2017, 05:24 AM

Are the keyboards that let you plug and play connected to a USB port on the computer itself, or via a traditional MIDI cable that is connected to the audio interface?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
Are the keyboards that let you plug and play connected to a USB port on the computer itself, or via a traditional MIDI cable that is connected to the audio interface?
The pair that work most any time are coming in via a Midi>USB interface(was using a MOTU Fastlane USB, but it didn't like Windows 10, so now using an iConnect2). Now that you sparked thought on this, I bet its because the iConnect(in my case) is always connected, even if the keyboards are off or disconnected). As long as Pro Tools can find the input path(which is the iConnect box), then what happens in the "outside world" doesn't matter. When my Komplete Kontrol is not connected, its path is missing from the drop-down list in Midi studio setup window.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:40 AM

OK. That makes sense.

Way back in the mists of time, I ran Cakewalk on Windows and recall plugging keyboards into a separate MIDI box, which then connected to the computer via USB, or possibly serial (in the ye olde days). Nowadays, I just plug them directly into the computer via USB.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:25 PM

I'm seeing this too. Requires a restart for PT to recognize either of my controllers. I don't remember if this was a thing under MacOS, as my midi stuff tends to stay plugged in all the time anyhow, but it's definitely a thing under Win 10.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 07-10-2017, 03:49 PM

On a Mac, you can definitely unplug and plug-in MIDI devices without having to restart the DAW.