Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Will Pro Tools work with

I am about to switch from using Logic Pro 9 with my mixing desk a Midas Venice F32. To a new computer and Pro Tools 11 and before i buy anything want to make sure it will work

The New computer will be a 21.5-inch: 2.9GHz Imac with 16gb ram and i will be buying Pro Tools 11.

Will i be able to just plug in the Midas using a Firewire to thunderbolt cable and Pro Tools 11 just work with it like Logic Pro 9 did?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Will Pro Tools work with

Yes it should work. You will need to install the device driver just like for Logic. The proof here but is not asking others it is trying out the Pro Tools 11 trial available on Avid's web site. You need an iLok2 license dongle (PT 11 wont work with older iLoks) to put the trial license on. Available from Amazon, Sweetwater, many music stores etc. Do not start the time limited trial until you have the Mac setup ready to go. Make sure the Mac meets the minimum system requirements, including a separate audio-spec hard drive or SSD for audio/session files and (unlike logic) you have to read and follow the installation instructions, including doing the recommended systems optimizations.

The big question for any use of Pro Tools 11 now is what plugins you need/want to use and are they in AAX-64 bit (aka AAX2) format for use in Pro Tools 11.

I would always go for the 27" iMac for increased screen real estate. Also I would only ever consider buying an i7 processor based Mac for Pro Tools (the 2.9 GHz is a i5).
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM

Sorry for the double posting.

Few more questions, will i need the Ilok when i buy the full version, is there not just codes in the box?

Also what do you mean separate audio-spec hard drive or SSD for audio/session files the imac will have 1t hardrive and i also have a 1t external hard rive. And doesnt an i5 processor meet the requirements for pro tools
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM

You need the iLok for the trial and the full license. The Installed software is the same. Once you have the trial installed you can purchase a full license online and download it to your iLok. If you buy a boxed version it will come with another iLok2.

If you or others you work with play guitar a great way to buy Pro Tools Eleven is to buy an Eleven Rack interface/guitar processor which includes PT 11. Ditto if you wanted a small more portable interface consider an Mbox Pro Bundle.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Thanks, I just want the software for now got all the hardware I want just really wanted to know if the computer I was buying would be ok. As looking at the requiments for pro tools I thought just upgrading it 16gb of ram would be enough to use pro tools
Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM

So i5 not ok though
Old 07-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderKaran View Post
Also what do you mean separate audio-spec hard drive or SSD for audio/session files the imac will have 1t hardrive and i also have a 1t external hard rive. And doesnt an i5 processor meet the requirements for pro tools
An i5 might meet the minimal spec but I would always pay the relatively small $ increase to go to an i7. The combination of larger cache, hyperthreading and faster clock rate typically make these much more appealing for Pro Tools. Wether an i5 will work for you or not depends on what you are planning to do and what plugins and how many you will be running.

You need to read and understanding the Pro Tools 11 disk requirements yourself. Telling us you have any "1TB" drive is not enough. What exact make/model/spec drive and how us it connected to the Mac?. Avid have added support for USB 2 external drives to PT10 and 11 but I would still avoid these as too slow. For external drives FW800, USB 3 or Thunderbolt would be my choices--but those drives need to also meet the 7200 minimum rpm (or be an SSD--and if buying an SSD I am pretty fussy about using a Samsung 840 Pro, recent Micron or maybe a few others, not all SSDs are created equal). And if FW the drive/interface box must use an Oxford controller chipset. Avoid putting a FW800 drive in the same bus as your FW interface/console.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 PM

I second the i7 recommendation.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM

i7...i7.....yes, i7. You will NEVER be upset about having MORE power.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-07-2013, 04:53 PM

+1... i7.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com