Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 AM

Default I'm thinking about moving from PT, convince me otherwise !

Hello !

I've been using Digidesign/Avid products professionally for 20+ years starting with an AudioMedia Card, to a Mix+ System to my current HDX with 32channels i.o.

I own and operate a multi-room facility of which I rent 2 other rooms out to other producers/composers. I had previously run the place as a purely commercial studio but in the past 4 years or so I've transitioned to make my income mostly through scoring, song-writing and production with the odd session here and there. Currently running PT 12.4 with a perpetual license and I'm happy with my workflow in ProTools. I usually can get away with running VI's natively and I've got a Vienna Ensemble Server running for larger orchestral templates when needed.

Here's the larger story.. In the next year or so I plan on closing this space (which I own and can rent out to a more profitable enterprise like a laundromat :) and move into another. The new space (yet to be found) is a complete unknown. All I know is that I will be continuing to work scoring and producing.

I've long ago let my support plan lapse and have been loosely following developments with PT from afar. I won't go into much detail but from what I can understand so far, I'm not exactly pleased with the direction Avid has been taking.. for instance having to buy a DigiLink license to continue to use my converters ( i hope that I'm misunderstanding this )

Though I love ProTools and will obviously need to have a copy on hand, if I'm not running a purely commercial space I'm not sure I need to stay on board. I could easily work on Logic, Cubase even Reaper these days.

Curious if others on here are having similar thoughts ? Please discuss !

-j
Old 04-10-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Re: I'm thinking about moving from PT, convince me otherwise !

This will be a can of worms, but being the opinionated SOB that I am, I'll weigh in. If you only work alone, try everything and see what works best for you. You can keep using your current hardware and keep 12.4 HD for opening old PT sessions or converting if you get sent PT sessions. There's no requirement for you to move to newer PT versions(hey, the guy next door to me is still running version 8) and the Digilink license is not required until you move to 12.6(IIRC) and if you decided to move up, its a one-time purchase of $299(not that bad if you make your living with this stuff).

As for other software,(again, my 2 cents) Pro Tools handles audio editing better than the rest(opinion), but you may find Cubase or Logic much better for heavy midi use(although, 2018 is getting a serious push on the midi side). Sometimes you need to give the other options a good test to make you feel better about PT In any case, good luck on your next venture!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-10-2018, 08:08 PM

If you previously had a working HDX system (and it seems you did with 12.4 and HD software), you are grandfathered in and will be given a free Digilink license.
If you do a reinstatement and it isn't auto-included with the upgrade (but it should be part of a perpetual bundle for upgrades which would include a bundle license of: 10 HD,11 HD,12 HD, 2018HD , Digilink licenses), then contact support and they'll send you the license. This is different for new HD users who won't get a bundle but only the latest. And if you didn't have the hardware prior to a certain date, then the Digilink license would need to be bought too. But if you had 12.4, you were before that cut off date.

As for jumping ship, I fully believe in seeing the other side of the fence. I still see Pro Tools MIDI as being 5 steps (or more) behind the big guys (Logic and Cubendo) but for mixing/routing, I think Pro Tools is still the best.

If you are moving more to scoring, you might prefer the MIDI features in the others. I wouldn't sell your Pro Tools gear though even if you freeze where you are at -- you still need compatibility with the Film/TV world if you intend to really "make it". Here, I'm talking actually scoring to picture (vs doing library tracks) where you'll work with edit rooms and music editors.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamburg View Post

Here's the larger story.. In the next year or so I plan on closing this space (which I own and can rent out to a more profitable enterprise like a laundromat :) and move into another. The new space (yet to be found) is a complete unknown. All I know is that I will be continuing to work scoring and producing.

I
Two of the biggies for scoring & producing seem to be Cubase and Digital Performer. DP has a 30 day fully functioning trial and runs on both Windows and OSX. One version that does it all. One of the major dings against DP is on a lot of monitor screens the fonts are small with no way to change them inside the program. That and the gui is cluttered.

QAPLA!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Depending on your MIDI needs, you might find something more interesting and/or effective in the competition. On the audio side, considering you've been using PT for 20+ years, nothing comes close.

As for me, I do everything on PT, I don't really see its so-called MIDI limitations, it just works for me. I've been using it for well over 15+ years, so PT is where I feel the most "at home". I know it left and right, so there's no way I can be as fast on another DAW. With PT I can concentrate on making music, with another DAW I have to concentrate on how to make music, and I don't like that. PT's workflow is the most streamlined imo. Others would probably disagree...
Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Depending on your MIDI needs, you might find something more interesting and/or effective in the competition. On the audio side, considering you've been using PT for 20+ years, nothing comes close.

As for me, I do everything on PT, I don't really see its so-called MIDI limitations, it just works for me. I've been using it for well over 15+ years, so PT is where I feel the most "at home". I know it left and right, so there's no way I can be as fast on another DAW. With PT I can concentrate on making music, with another DAW I have to concentrate on how to make music, and I don't like that. PT's workflow is the most streamlined imo. Others would probably disagree...
Personal anecdote on the MIDI deal:
Used Sonar for a number of years and when I needed a new computer I went to PT and a Mac. Spent years with PT and keep reading about PT's supposed MIDI shortcomings so decided when Avid changed from lifetime updates for a whole number version to keeping up one's Avid tax I started working in DP (still keeping PT going). After about a year of trying to work efficiently (note that word) in DP I tired of the workarounds and went back to PT full time except for the few pieces I have going in DP.

The moral of this story - try others but if you're comfortable with a certain program don't give up on it as you may well find the grass is NOT greener on the other side.

QAPLA!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
....you may well find the grass is NOT greener on the other side....
Agreed, Jack.

I usually find that if the grass is greener somewhere else, it is because of all the manure being spread.

But that's just the opinion of an ol' country boy.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 04-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Agreed, Jack.

I usually find that if the grass is greener somewhere else, it is because of all the manure being spread.

Well said(or is that "well spread")

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-11-2018, 12:27 PM

Video is moving so fast that I wouldn't even think about using anything but an up to date version of Pro Tools. Video technology today is like audio was back in the '90s. You may not need HDX but you will need PT's video, surround and VR capabilities.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Agreed, Jack.

Sometimes from the mouth of cowboys is like from the mouth of babes . And the simple profundity is easy to miss

I am going to remember that little pearl of wisdom

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...