Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-30-2018, 05:11 PM

Default What am I upgrading to???

OK, so made the mistake of buying a plug-in for the first time without checking it's comparability.

Tried to purchase GetGood Drums and it uses the Kontakt Player that is upgraded through Native Access. All of which run on OS 10.12 or higher.

I however run Pro Tools 11 on the latest Yosemite OS 10.10.2...

So when I look at the $299.00 Pro Tools Upgrade Reinstatement Plan and I see Pro Tools 2018 on the message boards and all the and see the compatibility issues listed on the site for Pro Tools 12, when I select system requirements, I am wondering, what am I upgrading to. Is it Pro Tools 12 or Pro Tools 2018? Or are they both just the same?

Which is probably a moot point, because according to Apple Customer Service, me being on Yosemite still, I can only upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.5 and the latest Pro Tools 12 will run on is 10.13.2. They are still figuring out how to run on 10.13.4 as of May it looks like....

Any help would be highly appreciated... Thanks!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:30 PM

Default Re: What am I upgrading to???

Actually the latest Yosemite is 10.10.5.
It's only the latest revision of Kontakt and Kontakt Player that won't run on Yosemite. I have PT 11.3.2 and it runs just fine on OSX 10.10.5. I'll see if I can grab an early version of Kontakt Player and I'll come back here with any results one way or the other.

QAPLA!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Actually the latest Yosemite is 10.10.5.
It's only the latest revision of Kontakt and Kontakt Player that won't run on Yosemite. I have PT 11.3.2 and it runs just fine on OSX 10.10.5. I'll see if I can grab an early version of Kontakt Player and I'll come back here with any results one way or the other.

Cool! Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdster75 View Post
Cool! Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is interesting after doing some digging. On the Get Good Drums product pages they don't say what specific revision of Kontakt/Kontakt Player is needed; they only say what minimum OSX is needed and that's some form of El Crapitan. The latest revision of Kontakt and it's Player variant also need EC as a minimum. Now I don't know if both developers locked out installing the latest revisions of their respective programs/libraries I only know that NI won't allow installation of the latest Kontakts in Yosemite (been there/tried that/failed).

I've looked and don't have a version of Kontakt Player that will work on Yosemite. If you go to this page and login to your NI account https://www.native-instruments.com/e...takt&t=updates you may find Kontakt Player there. This is an older revision that goes through the old Service Center and it's unknown whether it'll work in Yosemite. I do know that SC itself runs okay in OSX 10.10.5.

Something you could try is to grab Player from the above link to your NI account and install it if possible. Then grab the free GGD library and see if that installs. Make sure you have a clone of your system before doing that though as you're dealing with a whole bunch of uncertainties.

Wish I had better news for you.

QAPLA!
Old 07-01-2018, 07:21 AM

Appreciate all the effort here. I had the old versions of Kontakt that would run on Yosemite and they wouldn't load up GGD's. So yeah. I mean I tried to upgrade through Service Center and couldn't understand what was going on and it wasn't till then that I had even heard of Native Access. So that should tell you how long it had been since I did anything with anything NI.. lol!!!

But back to part of my question....

With the $299.00 Pro Tools Upgrade Reinstatement Plan. What am I upgrading to? Is that PT 12 or 2018 or are they the same? Because when I look at the Upgrade Reinstatement Plan and his System Requirements, I see specs for Pro Tools 12, but I thought I saw something where with the upgrade plans they where going to go with naming them by the year.. Like next years upgrade would be Pro Tools 2019 and so on and so on..

In the past I've seen on the message boards stuff on the different MAC and PC's operating systems and what they were working on with fixes and what not. I can't seem to find any threads on the DUC about that either..

Anyways, thanks for your help! Much appreciate the effort!
Old 07-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Appreciate all the effort here. I had the old versions of Kontakt that would run on Yosemite and they wouldn't load up GGD's. So yeah. I mean I tried to upgrade through Service Center and couldn't understand what was going on and it wasn't till then that I had even heard of Native Access. So that should tell you how long it had been since I did anything with anything NI.. lol!!!

But back to part of my question....

With the $299.00 Pro Tools Upgrade Reinstatement Plan. What am I upgrading to? Is that PT 12 or 2018 or are they the same? Because when I look at the Upgrade Reinstatement Plan and his System Requirements, I see specs for Pro Tools 12, but I thought I saw something where with the upgrade plans they where going to go with naming them by the year.. Like next years upgrade would be Pro Tools 2019 and so on and so on..

In the past I've seen on the message boards stuff on the different MAC and PC's operating systems and what they were working on with fixes and what not. I can't seem to find any threads on the DUC about that either..

Anyways, thanks for your help! Much appreciate the effort!
I think the last Kontakt upgrade through Service Center was 5.6.3 with everything after that going through Native Access. And NA will only upgrade to the latest revision so if you did that dance you'd get Kontakt 5.7.x which will not even install on Yosemite. It sounds like GGD locked out their libs for anything less than El Crapitan.

Speaking of OSX you would do well to skip EC and go for either Sierra or High Sierra and make sure to check the compatibility page to see what needs what. And on that deal if you are thinking about waiting for the OSX that follows HS to drop there's a tight requirement for the video card as it must support what's called Metal and not all Apple cards support it.

Don't take this as gospel but I believe with the reinstatement you'll get PT2018. I agree it's confusing deal and probably the best one here to explain it would be Southsidemusic aka Christopher.

QAPLA!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Which is probably a moot point, because according to Apple Customer Service, me being on Yosemite still, I can only upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.5 and the latest Pro Tools 12 will run on is 10.13.2. They are still figuring out how to run on 10.13.4 as of May it looks like....
This is what I thought as well, but over the weekend I found this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht208202

I don't think it is well publicized. I had to upgrade the firmware in my old Mac Pro to make it work, but I was able to update from Yosemite to Sierra from the app store free of charge. Doing this let me update PT beyond 12.8.1 and also fixed the slow meters issue I was having.