Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2011, 05:13 AM

Default Command 8 monitor section is really noisy

Hi everyone.

I just got a C8, and I love the control side of things on it, but when I use the monitor section, it's noisy as hell. I'm using balanced cables for everything, short runs. Tried lifting the ground on all the equipment. I'm currently just trying it out in my really small home setup, the only equipment I'm using is a small focusrite interface, the C8, and a pair of KRK VXT4 monitors.

With only monitors plugged into the outs, and nothing plugged into the ins, it hums like crazy. Once I plug something into the inputs the hum goes down considerably, but it's still there, and it is way too loud to ignore. It seems to be gettings its ground connections form the input, since the C8 itself isn't grounded. I've tried temporarily lifting the ground on everything, doesn't change. There's no hum in the system if I pull the C8 out of the signal chain.

I've seen plenty of people complain about this, but none of the threads manage to resolve the issue. Do I have any options here? Is the monitor section just of poor quality? I'm not afraid of breaking out the soldering iron if needed...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Command 8 monitor section is really noisy

I have one too and have the same issue. I just don't use the monitor section at all on the board, but it would be nice to have the volume knob moved a little closer to me...
SIIG FireWire Express Card
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE
Digi003 Rack || PreSonus D8 || ART MPA Gold || ART PRO VLA II || Ensoniq DP/2
M-Audio Axiom 49 || Behringer BCF2000
Yamaha HS50Ms

Bands: Captain Starr || stereoINs
Drums: 1 || 2 || 3
Guitars: 1 || 2 || 3
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Same experience here too. I tried a lot of different things such as improving system grounding, better cabling etc but nothing really made the noise / hiss / hum go away.

I then discovered that the noise on my unit is there even when you disconnect all analog signal cabling as well as the USB connection. Just the power supply and head phones.

I just stopped using the monitoring section.

Nice control surface though.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainZagar View Post
Nice control surface though.
It really is, but you'd think that if they include a monitor section at all they'd at least make it usable

I'll just use the knobs in my interface instead then, I just liked the idea of having that mono button for quick checks...
Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 PM

The Presonus Central Station is an elegant solution(plus it adds a bunch of features that you will appreciate).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The Presonus Central Station is an elegant solution(plus it adds a bunch of features that you will appreciate).
Thanks for the suggestion, but the Central Station definitely an overkill for my home setup. I think the M-Patch 2 is what I want...

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/...ollers/mpatch2
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM

i discover the noise two years ago, it's a 60hz hum tipical ground noise, if you ask ti avid or reseller nobody will tell you that C8 is a consumer equipment with a consumer 12v transformer, it's a ground problem built in a 1000 dollars equipment. i try all possible wiring in my studio but the hum still there, i finally bought a presonus central station.