Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM

Default Re: MIDI Patch Names - From MIDI Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by logandrum View Post
I followed the directions perfectly, and when I look for the patch names in PT I get an error message stating that there is a conflict between the device and its names. I downloaded the fantomXR.midnam from digicake and I placed it in the correct folder- I then editing the digilist file with text edit and saved it with my Roland device info- Pro Tools does not recognize something? Is there anything I am missing? Thanks, Brett
Okay everyone. I finally solved this issue today on my system. I have been trying for months to get patch names to show up and I always had conflict of names. I tried Cherry Picker and I still had the problem. My problem was actually in OSX's Audio MIDI Setup. When I plugged my device in via USB, my device would show up, but when I double click on the device, it would not allow me change manufacturer and model. The problem was that my device was labeled: Manufacturer: Roland Model: Roland XV-5050. Since I couldn't figure out how to change the name there, I went into both my .midnam file and .middelv files and changed the name of the model to: Roland XV-5050 (from just XV-5050). Then when I went to import the names it all worked. YEAAAHHH!!!!!

I really hope this helps somebody out here. I guess my main point is that you want to make sure that OSX is naming your device the same as your .midnam and .middelv file is naming your device. Otherwise you will be stuck where I was. Thanks to all the help from everyone on this post.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 AM

I bought a used marshall 30th anniversary amp. now I want to automate the channel switching in my recording . how do I do that
Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 AM

I am using protools 8 and wish to automate channnel switching
Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 PM

Can anyone help me with finding the midinam for a yahama mo6/8? I have looked everywhere and have not been able to find anything but the motif.

Thanks in advance!

J Free
Old 09-02-2009, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Collect .midnams for user download?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
You might want to check out this site:

Digicake
oh thanks a lot.
do you know where i can found Korg Poly 800 patch?
best

a.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been using PT LE 7.x on Windows for a little while, just for audio stuff.

I've just got a new set-up, running PT LE 8 with my MBox 2 on a new MacBook Pro running on Snow Leopard. I have also got hold of an old Roland JV-1010.

The JV-1010 is connected via a single MIDI cable running from the MIDI Out of the MBox 2 to the MIDI In of the JV-1010. It seems to work fine and I can select the patches I want (as long as I know the numbers for them).

The JV-1010 does not seem to be "recognised" by PT though - that is to say that in my I/O, it is listed as "MBox 2, Prt1-1". (I have not installed any Roland drivers).

I'm making my first forray into MIDI and am running into the kind of patch name file problem that has been described further up this thread.

The "Roland JV-1010.midnam" and "Digidesign Device List.middev" files that came with the installation are present and seem fine.

But when I attempt to load the patch name file from PT LE 8, I get the message that
Quote:
"Pro Tools could not find appropriate patch names in the currently selected patch name document because either the manufacturer/model information or instrument mode do not match".
From what I've read above, I feel that this SHOULD be working, but it seems I'm missing something.

I'd be very grateful if someone could reply to tell me where I'm going wrong.

Cheers!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been using PT LE 7.x on Windows for a little while, just for audio stuff.

I've just got a new set-up, running PT LE 8 with my MBox 2 on a new MacBook Pro running on Snow Leopard. I have also got hold of an old Roland JV-1010.

The JV-1010 is connected via a single MIDI cable running from the MIDI Out of the MBox 2 to the MIDI In of the JV-1010. It seems to work fine and I can select the patches I want (as long as I know the numbers for them).

The JV-1010 does not seem to be "recognised" by PT though - that is to say that in my I/O, it is listed as "MBox 2, Prt1-1". (I have not installed any Roland drivers).

I'm making my first forray into MIDI and am running into the kind of patch name file problem that has been described further up this thread.

The "Roland JV-1010.midnam" and "Digidesign Device List.middev" files that came with the installation are present and seem fine.

But when I attempt to load the patch name file from PT LE 8, I get the message that

From what I've read above, I feel that this SHOULD be working, but it seems I'm missing something.

I'd be very grateful if someone could reply to tell me where I'm going wrong.

Cheers!
I am still not a pro at this. But my guess would be that you need to create your JV-1010 in the Mac Audio MIDI setup. To get there, type Audio Midi set-up in Spotlight and it is one of the first applications that show up.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM

Angry Re: MIDI Patch Names - From MIDI Forum

Grrrrrrrr~!!! I've been trying to set up my Yamaha DTXtreme IIs electronic drum kit for weeks now and am having so much trouble getting the sounds from the module to PT.

DOES ANYONE IN THIS ENTIRE WORLD HAVE THE .MIDNAM FILE FOR THE YAMAHA DTXTREME IIS DRUM KIT?!?!?!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexz View Post
Grrrrrrrr~!!! I've been trying to set up my Yamaha DTXtreme IIs electronic drum kit for weeks now and am having so much trouble getting the sounds from the module to PT.

DOES ANYONE IN THIS ENTIRE WORLD HAVE THE .MIDNAM FILE FOR THE YAMAHA DTXTREME IIS DRUM KIT?!?!?!
In what way are you having trouble "getting the sounds from the module to PT"? If the problem has to do with recording audio, then the MIDNAM file isn't going to help...

The MIDNAM just allows you to select the current patch from within a PT MIDI track.. Convenient, but not critical.

Also, what are you using PC or Mac?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM

I want to use the actual sounds from my drum brain in ProTools. I have the .middev file so, from what I understand, if I put the correct .midnam file in it's right place, I can select between the different sounding kits (the ones that came pre-programmed on my drum brain and the user created kits I've stored within) by using the Patch Select function on my MIDI track. Then, I can do my editing and record to an audio track. Is this all correct?

And if I can't find the file, I'll just need to use a plug-in instrument right? My drumkit allows me to play rimshots, cymbal bells, the sound is different depending on even where on the drum you strike it. How would I set up a plugin to sound a kick when I hit the kick, snare when I hit the snare, etc?